JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Senate committee has nothing but "Executive Session: Bills previously heard." scheduled for 2/8 -- doesn't look like they've done much besides public hearings so far, so this might be the first real opportunity for them to make a recommendation on the bill and (hopefully) pass it on to the rules committee to be put on the Senate calendar for a 2nd reading.

These executive hearings can be quick. They can decide to forward a bill to the Rules committee with little or no debate. Hopefully 5112 will be sent along with no debate at all like the House Judiciary did.

Ranb

www.leg.wa.gov/LIC/Documents/EducationAndInformation/Bill_HistoryPage_Tutorial.doc This link has a tutorial. It says in part;

Some bills have companion bills and if so, they are shown here. In this case the companion bill is SB 6353 you can click on the link to open up the bill history for that bill. Companion bills are introduced in the belief that they will have a better chance of one of them getting through the legislative process. They start out as identical bills. Of course, after one or the other or both of them get amended they may no longer be identical.

I guess that only one of the bills is eventually passed. But I am not sure.

Ranb

House bill 1016 passed a vote on the House floor.

HB 1016
Firearm noise suppressors
House vote on Final Passage
2/7/2011

Yeas: 88 Nays: 4 Absent: 0 Excused: 6

Voting Yea: Representatives Ahern, Alexander, Angel, Armstrong, Asay, Bailey, Billig, Blake, Buys, Carlyle, Chandler, Clibborn, Cody, Condotta, Crouse, Dahlquist, Dammeier, DeBolt, Dickerson, Dunshee, Fagan, Finn, Fitzgibbon, Frockt, Goodman, Green, Haigh, Haler, Hargrove, Harris, Hasegawa, Hinkle, Hope, Hunt, Hurst, Jacks, Jinkins, Johnson, Kagi, Kelley, Kenney, Kirby, Klippert, Kretz, Kristiansen, Ladenburg, Liias, Lytton, Maxwell, McCoy, McCune, Miloscia, Moeller, Morris, Moscoso, Nealey, Orcutt, Ormsby, Orwall, Overstreet, Parker, Pearson, Pedersen, Pettigrew, Probst, Reykdal, Rivers, Roberts, Rolfes, Ross, Ryu, Santos, Seaquist, Sells, Shea, Schmick, Short, Stanford, Sullivan, Takko, Taylor, Tharinger, Van De Wege, Walsh, Warnick, Wilcox, Zeiger, and Mr. Speaker
Voting Nay: Representatives Darneille, Hudgins, Hunter, and Springer
Absent:
Excused: Representatives Anderson, Appleton, Eddy, Rodne, Smith, and Upthegrove
I am not sure, but maybe Senate bill 5112 is not making progress because House bill 1016 will go to it for a vote. The list of bills getting an executive hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee is out, and bill 5112 is not on it.

Ranb

Thats kind of what I was wondering and asked about the companion bills and encumbering. It would be kind of pointless to move both to a vote if there is no amendments made and they couldn't just see that they are the same and automatically pass once both are voted on. If they had to pass to the other house. Why spend time on te second bill if it's clearly going to make it out on the house and moved to senate for approval.

The house version PASSED today in the house: yeas, 88; nays, 4; absent, 0; excused, 6

The senate version is scheduled for an executive session in the judiciary committee at 10am tomorrow (this is where the committee votes/makes its recommendation). Hopefully the resounding passage in the house will grant it some momentum!

This stuff changes fast. :) Just nine hours ago I did not see it on the agenda at all and was speculating on what it meant.

The 2011 session ends on April 24th. If the silencer bill passes into law this session, it will take effect 90 days later on Saturday July 23rd. I want to have a silencer shoot at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club. I'm sure the club will set aside a few hours for suppressed firearms only shooting. The only real obstacle is the lawsuit against the club; the trial is in March.

Ranb

I'm on the midnight shift on the east coast right now. Woke up early as I could not sleep; watching the Senate Judiciary committee executive hearing live right now. 5112 is number 7 out of 8 on the list. At 1:55 pm they are hearing bill 5101, a drug bill. 5112 is next.

Ranb

Bill read. No substitute. Said it simply brings state law into accordance with federal law. Made a joke about getting approval of the mob? Recommended do pass. All in favor, none opposed.

It looks as if we will be able to use our silencers legally this year in WA. Yahoo!

Ranb

PASSED COMMITTEE WITH ALL YEA'S AND A DO PASS RECOMMENDATION!!!!

Just the next step, but it really is looking like this is going to happen.
Senator Kline's statement was it brings state law in accordance with federal law.
I am starting to get pretty excited just about now... or is that 4 cups of coffee talking?

It depends. When you fill out the ATF form 4, the address on it must be one you actually live at. It does not have to be your home of record or other official residence for tax or other legal reasons. So a person in Camas WA would just do what nearly everyone else does. Contact a class 3 dealer in WA, pick out a silencer and pay for it. Dealer gives you the forms and shows you how to fill them out. You get the local sheriff to sign the back of the ATF form 4 and send it in to the ATF along with form 5330.20, two fingerprint cards, two passport sized photos and a check for $200. Wait about three months for approval, dealer gets the form back and contacts you to bring home your new muffler.

If the dealer does not have what you want in stock, he orders it from another dealer or manufacturer on an ATF form 3. When it arrives, then your ATF form 4 is filled out and sent in to the ATF. The new law changes nothing except it allows use of registered silencers. There are people on this forum that can recommend WA class 3 dealers or class 2 manufacturers.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top