JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Holy bubblegum! Now I've got to figure out my purchasing strategy for a silencer!

Thanks Randy and everyone else that sent letters to their reps!

Can anyone recommend a full service silencer dealer in SW WA?

Anyone have an idea if we will still need to do a trust for the purchase or is that still dependent upon the Sheriff?

The sheriff is only involved when signing the back of the form. He only signs for individuals, not trusts; until the ATF decides otherwise.

Ranb

So technically it's just easier to do the trust but if the Sheriff is cool then there is no need to do it? Anyone know if the Clark County Sheriff is cool with silencers?

I need to start another thread with all my stupid new guy questions. I was honestly pretty skeptical that this would pass. ;)

So technically it's just easier to do the trust but if the Sheriff is cool then there is no need to do it? Anyone know if the Clark County Sheriff is cool with silencers?

I need to start another thread with all my stupid new guy questions. I was honestly pretty skeptical that this would pass. ;)

I'd consider the CLEO signature the easier route, if yours is willing to sign (being legal to use in the state should hopefully help that situation).

Remember that the trust is a legal document that if ever comes under scrutiny, must hold up according to the laws of your state. If it does not, suddenly you are a felon in violation of federal law. Just because the ATF accepts your trust, does not mean that it is fully legally valid. Now sure, if you use some "will maker" software or something, the ATF will probably approve you, and you'll probably be fine -- but if for some reason you ever come under the scrutiny of John Q. Fed and it turns out your trust is no good because of some legal detail you didn't know about, it would really ruin your day.

I personally would not go the trust route unless the trust at very least were looked over by an attorney familiar with the trust laws of the state (and preferably also familiar with NFA stuff). I know others are less cautious, but I think folks should at least know and understand the risks of having your NFA stuff under what turns out to be an invalid trust.

Not a done deal yet. Now it goes to the Rules committee, then to the Senate floor for a vote, then to the governor. While not done, I am confident it will pass. But even after it passes, it is 90 days after the end of the session until it goes into effect on 23 July 2011.

Ranb

I wrote to most of the Senate Rules committee members tonight. Some of them are also Judiciary members, so they did not get an e-mail this time around. Here are the ones that need attention. Brad Owen is the LT Governor.
Owen, Brad (D) Chair
Prentice, Margarita (D) Vice Chair
Hewitt, Mike (R) *
Brown, Lisa (D)
Eide, Tracey (D)
Fraser, Karen (D)
Haugen, Mary Margaret (D)
Keiser, Karen (D)
King, Curtis (R)
McAuliffe, Rosemary (D)
Parlette, Linda Evans (R)
Rockefeller, Phil (D)
Schoesler, Mark (R)
Stevens, Val (R)
White, Scott (D)
Zarelli, Joseph (R)

Here are the Senator e-mail addresses. <broken link removed> I just copy/paste the address to my e-mail program and send. I do not know how they sort their spam e-mail, so I sent each Senator an e-mail, not all at once.

Here is a sample letter. Please do not copy/paste it, just use it for ideas. They do not all need to get exactly the same letter as it will reduce its impact.
Senator,

Senate bill 5112 (change restrictions on firearm suppressor use) was recently sent from the Judiciary Committee with a do pass recommendation. As you may know it also passed the House with an overwhelming majority of 88 votes. This bill will amend RCW 9.41.250(c) to allow the use of legally owned suppressors registered with the federal government. Currently the use of a suppressor on a firearm is a gross misdemeanor and is not allowed by anyone in the state, the police and military included.

Suppressors are very rarely used in violent crime. The use of registered suppressors is even rarer still. I contacted every county sheriff's office in the state and requested data on crimes associated with suppressors. All but five counties responded. Most counties said they had no suppressor related crime at all. Five counties responded with a total of ten crimes for the entire state as far back as records were kept. Bill 5112 will not increase the availability of suppressors as they are already legal to own in Washington State. Anyone who can legally own a firearm in the United States can obtain ATF authorization to make or by one. Passage of this bill will only allow us to use our registered suppressors.

Suppressor owners obtain ATF authorization for each suppressor they purchase by submitting an application signed by the local sheriff, passing an FBI background check and paying a $200 tax. But they are unable to use them here in Washington because we are the only state that allows suppressor ownership but forbids their use on a firearm. Thirty-six other states allow civilians to own suppressors without a license and allow their use.

Suppressors are a valuable noise reduction device as they greatly reduce the noise of a firearm. A good suppressor will reduce noise by about thirty decibels. This is a one thousand times reduction in noise intensity or an eight times reduction in loudness as heard by the human ear. This noise reduction can greatly reduce the sound levels near rifle ranges and prevents hearing loss which is one of the most common injuries associated with firearms use. They are simply a muffler for guns.

While noise is greatly reduced, suppressors do not make firearms silent. Even the low powered 22 caliber rim fire rifles will still be about 115 decibels when equipped with a quality suppressor. With some common firearms making noise as high as 165 decibels and greater, suppressors are a valuable aid even though additional hearing protection may be required to protect against hearing loss.

Not only does RCW 9.41.250(c) prohibit civilian suppressor use, it does not make any exceptions for the police and military. The Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs (WACOPS) supports this bill. The Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs (WASPC) as well as Cease Fire Washington are taking a neutral position on the bill.

I hope you will look upon bill 5112 favorably in the Rules Committee and allow it to get a vote in the Senate. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top