1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

WA Resident, Oregon CHL Questions

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by mxitman, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. mxitman

    mxitman N. Seattle Member

    Likes Received:
    I'm a resident of WA and have both my WA And UTAH Concealed Carry License. In WA I didn't need the class for the CPL, but I did take a 2 day class for the Utah permit which covers most states except for Oregon, in which we went over the Oregon Laws and he said we had to apply in person in Oregon to get the CHL. I took the class 2 years ago and still haven't gotten it yet. I will be traveling to Hood River for a week in November and plan on finally getting it done, but I forgot what's required?

    I have the class certificate, WA Drivers License, Pay with Check right? Do I just need to go to any sheriffs office/local police for application?

    Thanks! Can't wait.

    I also want to bring in my .22 suppressor to finally get a chance and use it, is that a problem at all?
  2. Stomper

    Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

    Likes Received:
    Most Sheriff's offices will only take your application and fingerprints by appointment only. To save time, you may be able to download and print the appication from their website (if they have one), but you should call ahead and see about the appointment and make one ASAP.

    You will have to cut two checks, one to the country sheriff's office, and one to the Oregon State Police for the background check.

    Your suppressor is not an issue in Oregon, just make sure you have the proper supporting ATF papers with you in case an LEO decides to check it (and you) out.

    Hope that helps!
  3. SKN

    SKN Keizer, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    Issuance to a non resident is discretionary and I believe ORS still requires a out of state resident to also submit a letter from their home state mental health authority certifying the applicant has never been committed to a mental health facility in their jurisdiction.
  4. Hendo

    Hendo Seattle Member

    Likes Received:
    I (WA resident) recently also applied for a OR CHL. The way I went about it was to first make an appointment, go down and put in my application, compelling reason letter, certificate of weapon training, get fingerprinted, pay - all in one trip and now I am waiting for a reply.

    Important notes to consider (some already touched on):
    + Oregon is a "shall issue" for residents but a "may issue" for WA residents.
    + Not every county even accepts non resident applications - at Sheriff's discretion
    ++ Compelling letter is critical, "usually" must be business or work related and also to do with protecting what you are carrying - money, tools, other valuables. Family or personal protection "usually" are not enough. This reason "usually" must directly relate to the county you are applying to.
    + I did not have to supply any OR resident reference or mental health doc - outdated info I believe.
    + Most counties will have an application online "usually" with just about everything you need to do. This is where I found out what kind of gun safety training is accepted. Still a bit vague though.

    I think the trick is to pick the right county - I know - the $64,000 question.

    PM me for more.
  5. feconn

    feconn Skamania Co. Washington Member

    Likes Received:
    I'm also a WA resident, just got my OR CHL last month through Multnomah Co. sheriff's office. The only problem I had was submitting my app in June and then having my appointment scheduled for Sept - however, thrid week in August, they called me. Multnomah has open processing on Saturdays, just show up with your stuff _ shceck with them, you may still need to send in the app and letter as to why prior. Although I do work in OR, i've heard that Multnomah Co is pretty easy on WA residents, basically if you have any legitimate reason to be in the state, they'll issue. Also, even though the state says your DD-214 must show weapons training, tey will credit you for the class with a DD-214, weapons training or not. Believe it or not, I retired with 20 years from the Marine Corps, and my 214 doesn't have any of my weapons quals on it. It was no problem though.
  6. PinoBoy

    PinoBoy Oak Grove Member

    Likes Received:
    Columbia County has the best and quickest issuance on these. Take a class at the Clatskanie Gun Club and join the Membership. This offers the reason as to carrying and or obtaining a permit to in the state of Oregon. http://www.clatskanie.com/dmrstudio/gunclub/gunclubindex.html

    Got the permit in a week and a half. So did the other people I reffered. :thumbup:
  7. Stomper

    Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

    Likes Received:

    Then you got lucky... back in the early 90's I got my 1st CHL through Mult. County... used my DD-214 and the FIRST thing they looked for on it was pistol qualification... maybe they've gotten slack about it over the years, but it most likely was a slack individual who processed your paperwork and ASSUMED your DD-214 had that info on it... I wouldn't count on that happening again.