JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own a huge mill drill and a small lathe. I make all sorts of things for my hobbies. Lately I been making seal and bearing drivers as well as puller arms to assist in rebuilding a Dana 25 front axle that goes in my 48 Willys that is currently my hobby.

Consider my starting of this topic a draft. The more response to, the more I can narrow things down.

The type of hobbyist I seek has the tools and creative mindset to design. Not necessarily 3D printing, but along the line of. The tools are capable of working with all strengths of aluminum and steel. More in the line of CAD that can utilize an imported/converted, or various other export designation. If there is someone like whom I seek, it would be more beneficial for us both if they lived in the Olympia to Vancouver corridor.

I've never sought out this type of person, as I feel they are a rarity among the firearm types

Last Edited:
While I used to do home improvement as a hobby, now my hobby is firearms and long range shooting.
I worked as a machine designer at a machine builder for many years. Now I spend most my time doing software.
Yeah, I have skills doing 2D and 3D CAD.

Do you have the equipment to use at your leisure in the convenience of your abode? I'm led to believe you possibly may considering your background

Nope. Just software. There was a time when I was offered a 1-1/2 horsepower Bridgeport for 2 grand and a large engine lathe for a little over 1.5K but I didn't have any space to put them in so never bought them. I have regretted that for 25 years.

Nope. Just software. There was a time when I was offered a 1-1/2 horsepower Bridgeport for 2 grand and a large engine lathe for a little over 1.5K but I didn't have any space to put them in so never bought them. I have regretted that for 25 years.
Someone of your skill set, if you had the tools, the skies are wide open.
You should look into acquiring necessities

The realities of life dictate otherwise. You make more in software unless you have full CNC centers running at >70%. Perhaps in 8 years when the twins are thru colege.
Perhaps in 5 years if I get sick of travel.

I understand your logic and direction
AutoCAD. Spendy animal. I've spent thousands in my addictions with 3D. My AutoDesk 3DsMax software has been out-dated for years. I enjoy it.

Last Edited:
In my opinion not all the Autodesk enhancements to their software were improvements. I evaluated their inventor and didn't care for it - found SolidWorks to be much better. unfortunately I don't have the coin for a SolidWorks seat. More accurately I would rather put my play money elsewhere like firearms

I started using AD 3DsMax back at version 5, as a hobby. Free back then. One day the wife and I were in Costco looking through the games and DVD's, I found 3DsMax 9 for for $79. My chin dropped EYES WIDE OPEN in disbelief. I GRABBED IT!! And then I tore through the whole section looking for more. No more to be found. I looked at my finding that, as compared to hitting the lottery. I haven't considered upgrading since due to the cost

No offense, but I learned long ago never to divulge information openly. Especially product design in the firearm industry due to lingering wolves. I would need to get to know the individual fairly well before that time come. Someone of your caliber should see that understandable. Do you have the needed equipment in your home?

ah, yes, totally understand but then your project wouldn't fit the "hobby machinist" description in your subject line if you intend to make money on it... don't get me wrong but your thread here is a bit vague but since you've clarified I can see why.

disclaimer: I work full time and not looking for work. My career background is in precision sheetmetal and metal CNC manufacturing, I'm not a machinist but work closely with them for years. I fit the description your looking for in post #4, except I don't live in Olympia (its worth noting I am not an engineer). I only have an older version Solidworks at home but no longer have a personal business license to bill from but I've since used the software for personal (hobbiest) projects. Since your project is proprietary I probably would not have the time to switch jobs/companies although the idea of working in the firearm industry intrigues me...

Curiosity got me so I replied, I assumed you came up with an idea you wanted made for yourself and needed a print and/or CNC model. I like the idea of helping out a fellow 2A supporter...

As it stands currently my ideas are merely that. I can sit in front of a computer screen and make things to my hearts content. That's the benefit in 3D design. Getting it somewhere from that point, I feel especially in the firearm industry, needs the correct approach. Those (yours truly) with the idea/design, and those with the knowledge and skill set to create a prototype. At this point I set all patent searches and legality aside, until I find that right individual that has similar drive. Not an easy task by any means. I'm confident in my design, concept as of now, that I honestly see it as very strong competition. I think if I met the right person, the opportunities would be vast. Once a few prototypes were up and running, I'd be inclined to speak with a LEO type or two, to run it/them through the paces.

As for this becoming my own, personal piece, absolutely. There is nothing in the market even close. I think getting this project rolling will be somewhat difficult. Up to my mentioning in this post, it's been the same outside of any forums. My referencing CAD is a way of life. Not a hobby.
What I'm striving for is someone to approach my ideas as a hobby. With all effort in drive to potentially become very profitable.

Had you come close to stating in your title or first post what your looking for is someone to do work/project for you I never even would have opened the thread. I thought you were looking to talk to fellow hobbyists.

What I'm striving for is someone to approach my ideas as a hobby. With all effort in drive to potentially become very profitable.
yeah, your asking for a lot...

...and those with the knowledge and skill set to create a prototype.
What your looking for is someone who owns a CNC shop and willing to run your parts for free. I'm assuming this is your dilemma... the free part.
There are a few ways you can do this without that friend, but not totally for free but perhaps affordable enough you can afford depending on your idea if its small arms size or smaller it shouldn't be too expensive to get a few prototype parts made at a local shop the key here is owning your own drawings...

1) ideally you need to OWN your CAD drawings ("blue"prints). Establish a NDA agreement with a CNC shop and get prototypes made. Don't tell them what the end product is, assemble it yourself at home. Just give them component drawings with a part number and vague descriptions.
2) you don't necessarily need "professional" CAD drawings if your good at sketching, give it a part number and scan it into electronic format then find a shop to make them. Nothing wrong with a sketch or old drafting board drawing.
3) you can have the CNC shop design the drawings for you, in fact they will prefer this.... they will charge you extra for it (NRE) and the caveat is they will own the drawings (and thus the design you wont be able to go somewhere else to have them made, they wont tell you this).... if you truly believe in your idea as a money maker, don't go there.

You're in the same ball park, Koda. Your suggestions (#1) is the first thing I would do. Hence my not willing to disclose ideas here. #2 as you mention would not be too difficult. Drawing images could be taken right from the modeling program, and then saved to PDF to add the necessary dimensions for L,R,Top,Bottom views. I've done this several times in other projects. #3 as you mention, is not the direction to go.

You've shared with me more than most. I thank you for that.
I guess "I" need to take the next step to get said drawings and NDA in order so I'm better prepared. Again, Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top