JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was glad to see it go in just because it burned me sooooo bad that the clerks in these stores were State employee's. With full benefits and pensions. The pensions is where the real tax was. People could work at a package store for 20 or 30 and have the rest of their life to get paid? The crying and moaning when this was put on the ballot was amazing from them. As in what are we going to do now. I mean go to school, learn some real trade, stuff like that was just out of the question for them. As for the tax now? Just as with gun laws this is the voters getting what they want. You can bet just as with guns a LOT of the customers who are mad about the price either do not vote, or they vote for the same people who do this to them. :s0054:

Pressure from temperance groups originally was the impeturs for some states to take over liquor sales. For all the good that did since liquor was still being sold. When we had state liquor stores in Wash., so far as I know you could go in and buy any quantity. In a system where liquor sales are controlled by the state, it takes the profits from the sales. So any pretense at state control actually doing any controlling has nothing to do with limiting the sale of liquor. In Wash, it was all about a line item in state revenues. When it was voted out, the state made up the lost difference in higher taxes. And shed the burden of running sales.

One way to eliminate the expense of liquor, lack of variety, etc., is to not use it. There are any number of health reasons for abstaining. One of the issues for elders is the possible connection between alcohol use and dementia. As an elder, that concerns me. But to each his own, if you want to do it, go ahead. Just don't drive.

Years ago in another state, I worked in the retail liquor business. Liquor was a fair trade item which established a floor price that permitted small businesses to survive. The fair trade law was later repealed and the big stores entered the fray with discounted liquor and put a goodly number of the small stores out of biz.

Mrs. Merkt and I cruise a few times a year. When on these trips, I like to go into the ship's liquor and tobacco store and gaze at the fancy labels. You see a lot of weird stuff in there usually not seen in shore-side stores. I look but don't buy.

Eventually they will run out of sins to tax.

Many years ago in the era of Goldwater conservativism, I remember a friend of my dad's saying, "Next thing you know, they'll put a meter on your nose and charge you for the air you breathe." He was ahead of his time but they're getting around to it with the carbon tax proposals. No meter, but it will be a tax.

Governments at all levels are addicted to taxing because they are addicted to spending. They never say no and always must have more. The bureacracy causes spending creep but our society also comes up with lots of things that are deemed necessities. Politicians give it to us in order to remain in office. Look at what all the federal government is involved in for running our lives. Then look at the US Constitution and review the responsibilities of government. I guess it's natural for government to grow over time but there must be an upward limit to it somewhere.

Eventually they will run out of sins to tax.

What happens then?

Oh, I'm sure they'll come up with yet another mind-meltingly stupid tax of some kind. After all, tax horsecrap is what the Marxist, Nanny-State crew set does best. A pox upon the statists, prudes, and their mentally challenged fellow travelers. :p

Our elected officials will approve anything if they think they can tax it and build more bike lanes.
Tax Alcohol
Legalize Pot so they can tax it.
Next up??? Legalize Prostitution and hit it hard with a sin tax. = More bike lanes for all!!!
:D

if they think they can tax it and build more bike lanes

Oh you've hit a very raw nerve there. In Wash. state by code, bike riders have the same right to the road as motor vehicles. So adult bike riders can ride smack in the middle of the road at their own speed to torture motortists. So dedicated bike lanes are needed because? Maybe in part to eliminate on street parking for political reasons. Dig deep enough, maybe you'll find paint manufacturers who lobby heavily at the bill/ordinance hearings. Like 3M did for reflective license plate material.

I should add, "same right to the road as motor vehicles" and same responsibilities. The latter of which adult bike riders often pick and choose as to whether it works for them.

Oh you've hit a very raw nerve there. In Wash. state by code, bike riders have the same right to the road as motor vehicles. So adult bike riders can ride smack in the middle of the road at their own speed to torture motortists. So dedicated bike lanes are needed because? Maybe in part to eliminate on street parking for political reasons. Dig deep enough, maybe you'll find paint manufacturers who lobby heavily at the bill/ordinance hearings. Like 3M did for reflective license plate material.

I should add, "same right to the road as motor vehicles" and same responsibilities. The latter of which adult bike riders often pick and choose as to whether it works for them.

mostly true - they have to yield to passing traffic and cannot purposefully impede the flow of traffic, but good luck getting a cop to cite the bastards for it anywhere in an urban area.

mostly true - they have to yield to passing traffic and cannot purposefully impede the flow of traffic, but good luck getting a cop to cite the bastards for it anything anywhere in an urban area.

FIFY.
As the spandex mafia won't ever be cited for anything they do; like blocking traffic, running stop signs/lights, illegal turns, riding on the sidewalk, etc.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads