JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hard to find thread from 7 years back.

What do you Washingtonians think about private sales now?

I recall, the state decided to punish you, by raising taxes as this went to effect and many were crossing borders to get cheaper booze.
"Yep now there is another 27% tax INCREASE on it too. "

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...r-off/281-9e52bbef-3087-4e46-a5a7-d5dc7324d9a

"Despite this competition, customers are often seeing higher prices due to taxes."

I guess if you wanna buy gallons of cheap vodka that going to the sterile environment at Costco is fine. On the other hand, if you like to peruse several hundred types/flavors of different liquors, mixers, accouterments such as olives, lime/lemon, martini onions, margarita salt w/dispenser, myriad flavors of bitters and other flavorful ad-ons. And speak with booze knowledgeable store owners/employees about different liquors/drinks. AND, a 7lb bag of ice for a reasonable price, you'll continue to appreciate and patronize your local, friendly neighborhood liquor store.

My local liquor store at Sandy and 72, in NE PDX, said that their business went crazy when you guys decided to let Costco sell booze thanks to the heavy tax..

OLCC has a stranglehold on the booze sales in Oregon. I would wholeheartedly like to see liquor completely commercialized and privatized in Oregon, but not if Oregon does to us what Washington did to the folks across the river.

Until a feller steps into a liquor store in a free state, you'd never know how pathetic our selection is.

This is not about Costco. This is about private businesses that are not allowed to exist, and the few that are, are only allowed to sell what's on the "approved" list.

Last Edited:
OLCC has a stranglehold on the booze sales in Oregon. I would wholeheartedly like to see liquor completely commercialized and privatized in Oregon, but not if Oregon does to us what Washington did to the folks across the river.

Until a feller steps into a liquor store in a free state, you'd never know how pathetic our selection is.

This is not about Costco. This is about a private business that are not allowed to exist, and the few that are, are only allowed to sell what's on the "approved" list.

Rarely drink anymore, but absolutely this!

Our OR liquor stores are akin to a corner "packy" store back in Mass. The true liquor stores there are larger, have an excellent selection and extremely knowledgeable staff.

Even the juggaloo type NH state liquor stores near the MA/NH border seemed to have a better selection than OR.

My local liquor store at Sandy and 72, in NE PDX, said that their business went crazy when you guys decided to let Costco sell booze thanks to the heavy tax..
You're telling me! That's my local liquor store as well and on Fridays after work that place is a cluster f***. So many WA license plates trying to get in and out of that small parking lot and the intersection is jammed up.

The link in the OP stopped working, ...

This works as of the time of posting:

Or, search the title.
Private liquor sales in Washington: Are we better off?

Last Edited:
1574717799429.png

Note: For the major chains listed, the number reflects the variety available at a randomly selected location.
Chart: Ian Smay, Casey Decker Source: KREM Get the data

My go to store for liquor is the

Class 6.png

WA state already gets enough of my money, so I buy liquor where it's tax free. They also price match the bigger box stores.

Ray

You're telling me! That's my local liquor store as well and on Fridays after work that place is a cluster f***. So many WA license plates trying to get in and out of that small parking lot and the intersection is jammed up.

Does our store have a great selection, in your mind? All I drink in the way of hard liquor is G&T, on occasion. Because I really like G&T. And to make one right it should be 2 parts gin/one part tonic, with a squoze of lime of course. So I have to be careful and not drink more than a couple. A Gibson or two once in a while. Rum, brandy and vodka. Bloody Mary's and football. So I'm not really caring about selection other than it's quite enjoyable to wander around looking at the fancy stuff. I do have one finger of Tea Vodka after diner. Out liquor store carries four varieties of tea Vodka.

The link in the OP stopped working, ...

This works as of the time of posting:

Or, search the title.
Private liquor sales in Washington: Are we better off?

That was a great watch. I didn't realize WA had specialty liquor stores open up. We'll have to drop into one of those to look around sometime. The only time I've seen liquor at a WA store was a Walmart, and the selection was pretty pathetic. But that was a couple years ago probably.

The selection at Rose City is decent, considering the size of the store is so small. But the best selection in the area is at Hollywood Liquor on Sandy Blvd. That's the place to browse around for the more exotic and rarer stuff.

The selection at Rose City is decent, considering the size of the store is so small. But the best selection in the area is at Hollywood Liquor on Sandy Blvd. That's the place to browse around for the more exotic and rarer stuff.

Yeah, I've been in there. And I'd agree.

I've been driving to Vancouver from Oregon to buy Tequila I'm not able to find here. I paid no sales tax on it but still we usually bought other things like lunch and or coffee while we were there helping the local businesses which also included tax.
Now Oregonians must pay the sales tax, making the Tequila price excessive and more than I'm willing to pay. Washington is losing as I see it because I no longer have a need to go there and buy anything at all.
Add that to the bridge tolls that will ultimately come, and Washington, the state I was born in, will be persona non grata to us like California is.
They claim, as an Oregonian, I can apply for a rebate, if over a 100 dollars worth, (which it is) but no store I have been to, or hours spent on the internet, along with some phone calls to Washington state offices, has produced a form to be filled out or a place to get one, or send it to if I did!!
Essentially I was told by state officials no less, I was not allowed to know these things until tax time next year, then, when millions of others are calling to figure tax stuff out, I have to compete with them for info and phone connections!!!
Thank you State of Washington, You lost a paying consumer.
No wonder 40% of the vehicles I see in the Portland Metro Areas are from Washington. Oregon is working hard to ensure no thing goes untaxed too!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews