JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As long as they didn't make a slip up in QC you should be good with the Colt. Just keep the original parts if you swap anything, helps resale value if the time ever calls for it.

Have they had QC issues lately (past couple of years)? I wouldn't be surprised, it usually suffers when production with increased production.

I currently have a 1x4 MTAC on my custom 16 in upper and would like additional magnification. Before I get 100 lashes, I want the addition magnification for clear target identification at distance. Plus most red dots and 1x4 optics in a low price point have aim point over 2 moa. Just my 2

Joe, when I choose a scope I ask myself a few questions.

1) primary use
2) budget

I have a 10/22 with a Baraska 22 sweet spot on it. The glass is not great, but I can hit Ground Squirrels/sage rats at 100 yd. My gun is a truck gun and always seems to work.

But, I bet there is someone out there that put a swaro on their 10/22.

Have they had QC issues lately (past couple of years)? I wouldn't be surprised, it usually suffers when production with increased production.
Not necessarily. Every company is bound to have an issue. The key is how they take care of it. If a Colt ever has an issue, they'll take care of it.

Today I put my hands on a Crossfire 3-9 and 4-12 when considering them for my Marlin 60.

I'm going to say keeping the objective down to 40mm would be a plus (as stated before), I will say that when looking through a Vortex vs a Nikon; the Nikon felt like I was in a tunnel.

When proper eye relief was made you had 2-3 times the size of black ring around the outside of the scope when compared to the Vortex. Looking down a tunnel vs a magnifying glass.

You don't really notice the difference in the light gathering capability of a scope until your out in the field at dusk/dawn. Not really at the range punching paper. At low power I personally really don't notice the difference between 40-50mm, but turn the magnification up and you will see!

As for power level of a scope, center fire 5.56/.223 that is capable of great accuracy out past 400 meters. I don't handicap myself by not having enough magnification. I do like my scopes to start at 2x or 3x, but I like to be able to zoom in on something afar and try to make a shot.

For target .22's, if I am going to be punching paper with it, or small swinger gongs. I use Leupold, and the older Unertl, Redfield and Lyman fixed power scopes allot. Actually have a few fixed at 15x and 25x.

1x4-24
Sorry, I don't think you need any higher or larger on an AR...

Either of those will work, preference to the smaller objective housing.
I was going to ask if this was your varmint rifle and you are shooting it out at 300 yards or more.
For a regular close in AR, I'll have to agree with dygital.
I had a 4-16x on my hunting 308 and replaced it cause the field of view was narrow at 100 yards.

Cabelas has a "Cabelas" brand 1-4x24 for pretty cheap. I had a friend of mine this morning tell me that he grabbed one for his son's Mini-14 and was surprised how flawless it was for being stamped with "Cabelas". I'm in the market for a low cost platform to throw on my AR If I want to reach out a bit further and I think this might be it, or at least find a 1-4x24. Vortex is on the top of the list though.
Cabela's AR Riflescope : Cabela's

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads