JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been and on and off about the 4-12x40 for a month now. Cabelas had the 3-9x50 for 99.99 for a month up until this past Sunday. I, too, have a couple gift cards I'd like to use. The cabelas in tualatin has zilch as I was there on Tuesday. I went to fishermans to check out the vortex 4-12x40 crossfire 2 and compared it to a more expensive one ( it was a viper or diamond something, I forgot). I liked the eye relief of the crossfire 2 the best and the glass was just about as clean as the others. I think I may just pick one up and put it on an ar. I have too many red dots and need something for long range.

The bigger the last number (40 or 50) the more light the scope will let in giving you better vision in low light conditions.

To me it is a no brainier.

The only consideration I would make is if the 50 makes it sit too high on the gun but I doubt it.

Cabela's
Crossfire II 4-12x50 on sale starting today for $130 (normally $200)
Grabbing one after work today to put on an AR :)

Last Edited:
Cabela's is having a sale on the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X40 and 4-12X50 scopes. I have a couple of gift cards, so I was thinking about picking one up for my Colt 6920 AR15. I'll be honest, I've had rifles that came with scopes but I've never purchased one myself.

Any thoughts on this particular model for an AR15?
Joe, have you spent time with a scope on an AR15?
Over the years I've really tried to like a scope on a non-precision AR rifle and always dumped it for a red dot of one sort or another. That's my opinion though and I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your rifle.

C'mon guys I can't believe none of you know this. The correct answer is how "tacticool" do you want it to look? Tacticool = 50 with longest sunshade available. I recommend a high quality brand like nc star.

:s0130:

Only kidding as stated above all about use in lower light, AR platforms are easily adapted for different height scopes.

Mounted and playing with the 4-12x50 last night on the M4. Nice clear pine cones at 100 yards. Lucky for the pine cones they are in the city ;)
I'm happy with the setup so far and I feel like I got a great deal.

Glad I didn't opt for the nc star tacticool version, but it was close

~cheers

Thanks for all the replies guys. I read so many different opinions on 40mm vs 50mm that I ended up buying both! Considering the reputation of Vortex, the sale price, and the multiple riles I have which could benefit from a scope, I'm happy with my purchase.

Now to find a mount...

Funny, I was literally just looking at that Burris mount. Looks like it gets excellent reviews.

1x4-24
Sorry, I don't think you need any higher or larger on an AR...

Either of those will work, preference to the smaller objective housing.

1x4-24
Sorry, I don't think you need any higher or larger on an AR...

Either of those will work, preference to the smaller objective housing.

Yeah I actually agree, 1x4 would make more sense on the AR15.

The way I see it, as long as I don't lose them, and Vortex doesn't go out of business, I should have a couple decent low-end scopes for many years :)

It all depends on what the AR is for. If its for longer shots only, then there's no harm in a 4-12 scope. Low light= bigger objective lens. Glass>Magnification and objective lens though. A 1-4x or 1-6x can be used out to 500 easy if the glass is decent.

It all depends on what the AR is for. If its for longer shots only, then there's no harm in a 4-12 scope. Low light= bigger objective lens. Glass>Magnification and objective lens though. A 1-4x or 1-6x can be used out to 500 easy if the glass is decent.

The AR I'm referring to is a standard 6920 with the 16" barrel, but I've been considering a long-range upper for a complete lower I have.

The AR I'm referring to is a standard 6920 with the 16" barrel, but I've been considering a long-range upper for a complete lower I have.

Even a 16" can reach out and touch. Though I would probably get another upper to not mess with the Colt upper. While not necessary, a free float handguard helps quite a bit in long range shooting.

Tbh with a fixed front sight I'd just get a red dot sight or a fixed 3x (or 4x) scope.

Even a 16" can reach out and touch. Though I would probably get another upper to not mess with the Colt upper. While not necessary, a free float handguard helps quite a bit in long range shooting.

Tbh with a fixed front sight I'd just get a red dot sight or a fixed 3x (or 4x) scope.

That's good to know about the 16" capabilities, I'll keep that in mind. I won't be changing barrels or anything other than optics and maybe furniture (such as the handguard) on the Colt. I have a lot of faith in the way they setup their guns from the factory. I imagine a red dot is what will end up on this particular gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top