JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently built an AR10/LR308 in .308 Win. and am looking for a scope for hunting but also for some long range plinking at 800-1200 yards. I have come across a factory refurbished Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15x44 FFP with Mil reticle and turrets for a good price which seems to tick all of my boxes. The reviews I have found vary from the glass being clear and pretty bright to the glass being low resolution and dark. I would like to know if anyone on this forum has experience with this scope and if so what was your experience regarding the resolution of the image through the glass?

I have the same optic on my 18" SPR'ish rifle. The Viper series is made in the Philippines and is a major step up in glass quality from the Chinese made Diamondback and Strike Eagle offerings (I've compared them side by side). I think they are a pretty descent scope of the money. If you make it out to Oregon City, I'll let you check out mine.

I have the same optic on my 18" SPR'ish rifle. The Viper series is made in the Philippines and is a major step up in glass quality from the Chinese made Diamondback and Strike Eagle offerings (I've compared them side by side). I think they are a pretty descent scope of the money. If you make it out to Oregon City, I'll let you check out mine.
That's good info and thanks for the offer. I don't get out that way often but if I do, I'll message you.

They're decent, you will definitely be stretching its legs at those distances
"stretching its legs" in what regard? Magnification wise or resolution/clarity? I am planning to replace it down the road with a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 but I have to save up my pennies before I will be able to afford one.

WOW, that is a great price on the optic I want but it's still about double the current budget. The refurb Viper is $700, but maybe it makes sense to save for a couple more months and bypass the Viper altogether. Thoughts?
It's on clearance. I bought the 3-18x FFP back in January. She resides on my 22lr Anschutz.

"stretching its legs" in what regard? Magnification wise or resolution/clarity? I am planning to replace it down the road with a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 but I have to save up my pennies before I will be able to afford one.
Depends on your target size, but both. All scopes lose light as you magnify and the PST gets dark in my experience. I had one on a 6.5CM for a while. I still like Leupold glass better for the money. YMMV.

Depends on your target size, but both. All scopes lose light as you magnify and the PST gets dark in my experience. I had one on a 6.5CM for a while. I still like Leupold glass better for the money. YMMV.
Thank you, this is what I have been worried about. I know as long as the picture is bright and resolution is good I can manage 1000-1200yards on the far end at 15x but if resolution and brightness are dropping off a lot then it won't work for my applications.

Thank you, this is what I have been worried about. I know as long as the picture is bright and resolution is good I can manage 1000-1200yards on the far end at 15x but if resolution and brightness are dropping off a lot then it won't work for my applications.
They aren't bad scopes and are quite popular. It may work fine for your setup. I just found the one I had to be dimmer than I would prefer at max magnification. I also wasn't blown away by the resolution. But again, you may find it works well. I've gone through quite a few of their optics and still have one but I always seemed to sell them off and move on to what I think is brighter glass.

Pretty much any equipment ever built on this planet performs best at mid throttle. Meaning, buy a scope that'll perform far beyond what you intend to use it for, that will eliminate any light gathering reduction issue at max magnification. Take this advice however you want but it applies to pretty much any purchase in life. For most, Harbor Freight junk will be fine, but it's generally running at max capacity. If that person were to buy an actual commercial rated tool, it'd last several times as long due to being able to handle the job far easier.

Pretty much any equipment ever built on this planet performs best at mid throttle. Meaning, buy a scope that'll perform far beyond what you intend to use it for, that will eliminate any light gathering reduction issue at max magnification. Take this advice however you want but it applies to pretty much any purchase in life. For most, Harbor Freight junk will be fine, but it's generally running at max capacity. If that person were to buy an actual commercial rated tool, it'd last several times as long due to being able to handle the job far easier.
That is an excellent explanation.

Thank you all for your knowledge. I purchased a Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50, which should arrive next week I figure since I am unlikely to use anything over 20x very often and that is not at the extreme end of the magnification range I should be able to avoid the image darkening mentioned above.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top