JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

My posts are often filled with sarcasm and satire. I apologize for that, sort of...it's just how I am. I'm trying something new today. I am interested in hearing your experiences dealing with the V.A. Mine haven't been very good for the most part. Marginal care, 2 botched surgeries awaiting a 3rd, years and years of runaround for disability benefits and vocational rehabilitation, etc. I feel I should not have to retain 2 separate attorneys just to collect what I am entitled to in the first place, then wait till I'm dead before I get it. Is it just me or do you guys/gals have these kind of experiences too ? If your experience has been good, please tell us that as well. I might learn something !

They came on like gang busters got me all fixed up,now the doc keeps changing my meds and does not remember why he changed them.I take notes when i go in so i have to tell him why then i get an Oh thats right. and automatically i get discontinued meds in the mail.Check this out this year i get whooping cough so i had an appt set before hand nurse called to confirm my appt for something else I told her what i thought i had hacking the whole time. Lo and behold they cancelled my appt. have not been in to see them yet. thats ok i'm better now kinda ticked me off though.

but the long and short of it better to have some medical than none at all. And i met alot of nice people there.

I think it will be different from one center to the next. I talked to a VA Doctor outside of her work and she said that some of the centers she would not want to be treated in, and some are great.

I would say trust your gut and try a different center if you don't like the service and can transfer.

American Lake is the worst. Even with Patty Murray as our Senator, they have lazy civilians who just don't give a crap about Vets. With all the Vets out of work, you would think that more that 7% of VA personnel would be Vets. That is not the case. Have been fighting with them for 6 years for My disability. About ready to hire a lawyer and take them on...

Fortunately for me that piece of schrap I caught from an RPG only sliced a small crease in the side of my nose and left temple. I would not have been very happy to have had hire a lawyer to engage in years long litigation so I could get my GI strap-on rubber nose... Not even Purple Heart worthy, THANK GOD!

I'm appalled at how our Vets were there when we needed them, and are sold down the river WHEN THEY NEED US.

American Lake is the worst. Even with Patty Murray as our Senator, they have lazy civilians who just don't give a crap about Vets. With all the Vets out of work, you would think that more that 7% of VA personnel would be Vets. That is not the case. Have been fighting with them for 6 years for My disability. About ready to hire a lawyer and take them on...

Lazy civilians eh? Maybe that's because the government happens to treat their civilian employees like crap, just like everyone else. Got a sibling who worked as a doctor at a California VA hospital, and she said it was pretty much the worst experience ever.

You're delusional if you expect quality from government.

God save Vets from the VA! Had my own little horror story but it is insignificant when compared to the terrible experiences of of thousands of of our brave men and women who have received devastating wounds and hellish mental wounds and scars and are receiving little or no help! Don't much give a poo about "oh it's a really bad job" either! If you took the job do the danged job! Not a fan of the VA slackers either!

Last Edited:
Medical residents are assigned, they have no choice over where they work.

Yes, Residents are a special case. I think life is probably hard for them where ever they intern. Think about how far on the burnout, loser train a lot of VA employes have ridden. I have personally seen plenty of the uncaring led by the incompent there.

well, I have had good luck with them.

As a former employee of the American Lake and Seattle VA, I can say that the civilians there aren't "lazy" although it might seem that way to outsiders. Remember, the best that they can provide is what Congress lets them give you, they have to follow the regulations that are placed upon them, by (mostly) democrat controlled congresses. (Look at which party has had a majority in congress for the last 50 years).

People (and this includes vets at the VA) always believe that their case is the most important and should be taken care of first. This is a normal thing, and how we all are. I know when I go to the ER I don't want to wait until they take care of someone else, because I hurt....I need to be seen NOW. But, life isn't always fair.

When I was forced to retire from the Army the VA did my disability claim in good time, I have always had decent care from them as has my older brother.

Made an appointment yesterday to see my primary care giver at American Lake for some follow up. Next available appointment is December 10th. Think they might be understaffed and overwhelmed. I've been told to take the medication they give me or they can "take me out back and shoot me". An attempt at levity that was completely lost on this combat Vet. Had a Doctor tell me the shot he was going to give me would fix me right up. Asked him what it was, he replied "An antibiotic". I asked which one, he replied Penicilan. I asked if he had looked at my records jacket, he did, and saw the bright red stop sign that covers the front of the jacket and states that I'm allergic to penicilan and all of it's derivatives.

Had to hire a lawyer to get disability, even though I was granted Social Security Disability for Service Connected injuries. Even though I've been disabled for over 20 years and will NOT get any better, they refuse to make me permanent.

Gotta love the Government.

Part of the problem with guys filing claims when they get out or retire is what the VA calls a "presumption of fitness." For example, a guy retires after 20 years, doesn't get a medical retirement from the military and then goes to the VA and tries to get a 100% rating.

The VA feels that if you could serve 20 years and retire for length of service, you must have been fit...how can you be 100% disabled in three days? (Seems funny, but I've seen guys try it.)

I have heard a lot of horror stories about the VA, but I am not one of them.
When I applied for the VA disability, it took only 2 months to get accepted. I don't know if it was because I had all my medical records, if I was only a few years separated or if it was because of my location (San Jose, CA).
I got lucky with my doctor, not a bad guy. Little young, but treated me well.
I was able to utilize the VA hospital in Palo Alto. Spent one week there due to diverticulitus, almost had my colon removed.
I don't have any complaints about the care I received down there.
Now that I have moved up here to the Portland area, I don't have any complaints either.

White Ciy VA. I have had a good relationship with my doctor there. Appointments are rearly canceled but have to be made a month or more in advance, so don't miss one. Meds delivered on time and adjusted as needed.
As to getting my disability rating, at first it was a pain in the ***. My Oregon Vet rep asked what I had that would prove what I was saying. I carried a camera when I was in Nam so dug out the box of pics I hadn't looked at since I got home. After him and I going through the pics my case was rubber stamped.
So any records (Paper work) and pics you have make a difference. Check with your buddy's they may have pic's that will help.
By the way my Rep was a Nam vet, the pics gave both of us night mares for a couple of weeks but they got the job do.

I have mixed reviews of Seattle and American Lake.
But Seattle - i will only say I am glad i did not go to them for my procedures. Fellow with similar problem got messed up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top