JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all. I recently posted a WTB ad for a Galil Ace. Well, a new forum member messaged me saying he had purchased a scope from a guy in Texas that had one for sale. Cool. The new member had also posted in the introduction area so not a bot. The Texas man sends me his DL picture, many pictures of the firearm, and a picture of the rifle next to a note with my name, sale price, etc. All good.

The fishy thing is he would only take payment via cashapp or venmo and neither would go to him, but to a "niece" or "financial advisor" instead. His DL first name is also spelled differently than in his email. He also misspelled his advisor's name a few times. His Facebook shows a man matching the DL picture as well as the man shooting at events, a legit account. I've never seen a scam this initially convincing. It seems like a stolen license and firearm are involved here, or he has the rifle legally but knows that it's desirable and can hook people. Be cautious out there. Note, the new member deleted his messages to me after I mentioned the seller's suspicious activity.

Last Edited:
Please report these. Use the report button which is In posts, as well as in private messages.

If the members discussed in the message above have a strikeout thru the user name...they have been dealt with.

Not on this site but this morning at about 0815 I got a robo call on my cell phone that said it was from the Legal Department and told me I need to stop working right now and call them right back to stop immediate legal action. The thing is, I'm retired. So did they want me to put my book and coffee cup down?

I would also report that scammer to the government. With firearms involved they might take the time to investigate.

Especially a black rifle! Anyway, either he's really not a smart guy that can't handle his own finances or there's something up. He just sent me a selfie and it's certainly the guy on the DL and on the Facebook page. This guy's supposedly an engineer, you'd think he could set up his own PayPal (which he said I could if sent to his cousin using friends and family...). Part of me wants to message him on Facebook and see what's up, but probably not smart.

Reminds me of this! Try sending the guy a message on Facebook.

B146EE3F-7CCB-402E-B2DB-DCA405B3B261.jpeg

One way to avoid these scammers is to do face to face, cash only deals. I have only done a couple of deals with members that were not face to face but they were long time members with plenty of good feedback. I understand that is limiting but there are too many ways to scam people otherwise.

One way to avoid these scammers is to do face to face, cash only deals. I have only done a couple of deals with members that were not face to face but they were long time members with plenty of good feedback. I understand that is limiting but there are too many ways to scam people otherwise.
I miss OR for that reason. Much closer proximity to the firearms I want. Montana is a whole new ball game.

This is why I have to go above and beyond so you guys will even work with me. People like this need to be shot

Howdy all. I recently posted a WTB ad for a Galil Ace. Well, a new forum member messaged me saying he had purchased a scope from a guy in Texas that had one for sale. Cool. The new member had also posted in the introduction area so not a bot. The Texas man sends me his DL picture, many pictures of the firearm, and a picture of the rifle next to a note with my name, sale price, etc. All good.

The fishy thing is he would only take payment via cashapp or venmo and neither would go to him, but to a "niece" or "financial advisor" instead. His DL first name is also spelled differently than in his email. He also misspelled his advisor's name a few times. His Facebook shows a man matching the DL picture as well as the man shooting at events, a legit account. I've never seen a scam this initially convincing. It seems like a stolen license and firearm are involved here. Be cautious out there. Note, the new member deleted his messages to me after I mentioned the seller's suspicious activity.
It is amazing to me how scams are accepted by scammers as a way of life now. I just went through an attempted scam by a major (as in one of the largest in the US), legitimate, online camera and electronics supplier. It was so bad it would make any honest person naseus. It was very intricate and convincing. I only avoided the scam through long term persistence. It was a horrible experience.

We have to really be on our toes, and now even with legitimate, long time online suppliers unfortunately. I think it's only going to get worse as people are further and further removed from person-to-person deals and the scammers see that there are no repercussions for their scams . Thanks to the OP for posting this because the more we learn about people's experience with attempted scams the more we are able to see them coming ahead of time.

Another example is UPS "insurance". Their insurance is nothing more than a scam. They will not pay even though they damaged something and the only way you would ever get your money out of them is to sue them. Here is my shotgun that UPS dropped and broke. It was insured and they refuse to pay. My FFL has been fighting them since November on it. The large classic firearms supplier told me that whenever this happens UPS denies the claim 100% of the time no matter what. Everyone be ultra careful please, especially with online purchases.

Another example is credit card theft at gas stations in Oregon. They steal your credit card info and make online purchases. This happened to me twice. They know there is no accountability and the credit card companies will just replace the card. I went to the gas station manager and told him because that was literally the only place I ever used that card. He couldn't find evidence on the camera butat least I tried to make the thief accountable. Watch the gas station attendants like a hawk! ABD59308-1D9A-4AE1-940D-C7AAC77B551E.jpeg

This is why I have to go above and beyond so you guys will even work with me. People like this need to be shot
Unfortunately a few (more than a few these days) bad apples have ruined it for the others. For me there are too many local buyers, sellers and traders to mess around with electronic payments, shipping, verifications, etc. On top of that it's great to meet with members face to face once in a while.

Unfortunately a few (more than a few these days) bad apples have ruined it for the others. For me there are too many local buyers, sellers and traders to mess around with electronic payments, shipping, verifications, etc. On top of that it's great to meet with members face to face once in a while.
But... I spray my sold rifles with my GF's perfume before shipping them! That's gotta count for something. :rolleyes:

Careful with that.... there are some physically FUGLY MoFo's on this forum, and it may ruin your eyesight!

:cool:

Would also avoid using paypal for money transactions for firearms and ammo.

It's against Paypal TOS to use paypal for buying/selling firearms and ammunition and they will not help you if you have a claim related to it and they'll likely terminate your account.

Last Edited:
I miss OR for that reason. Much closer proximity to the firearms I want. Montana is a whole new ball game.

I'll just say. K8 brown, ginny burDICK, PETER courtney, floyd prozanski, tina kotec, earl blumenauer. Etc.
I hope that helps some? I do feel your pain.

Howdy all. I recently posted a WTB ad for a Galil Ace. Well, a new forum member messaged me

Note, the new member deleted his messages to me after I mentioned the seller's suspicious activity.
If you still have these convo's in your inbox you can include a moderator into the discussion and we can see all the content. In the future if this comes up as stated above hit the report option in threads or convo's and we will take care of it. I do believe we have already done so with this member if memory serves me right.

If you still have these convo's in your inbox you can include a moderator into the discussion and we can see all the content. In the future if this comes up as stated above hit the report option in threads or convo's and we will take care of it. I do believe we have already done so with this member if memory serves me right.
Will do. Also, a screenshot they sent me included the time on their phone, and it seemed to be from the west coast. I messaged the actual person and it's indeed a scammer that stole images.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top