JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I am ready to build a AR-10/LR-308 and know there are various bits that will and wont work together. I am sure with a little Google-fu and I can figure out compatibility but I am really looking more about what is the pros and cons of one VS the other. Is one more standard? More options? What parts will swap with AR15? Same parts in both large frame platform? Is it just the upper/lower that is the issue? (meaning can a swap a BCG between the two different reviver choices?)

Basically, the grip, trigger, buffer tube and butt stock are the same on both 10's and 15's. The BCG depends on weather you want the forward assist to work. Some uppers ( DPMS) have the forward assist button forward and push on the end of the bolt. PSA and several other uppers are at the rear of the upper and push the grooves on the side of the bolt. When I put my 10 together I used the PSA upper , lower and BCG just make sure there wasn't any miss matches. AS for which style is better the DPMS or the Armalite, don't have a clue.

I built a Mega (DPMS Pattern) a few years ago. As mentioned above a normal LPK fit just fine along with the stock. DPMS pattern seemed to have more parts available when I built mine but not sure what is on the market now. It seems like there are way more makers of lowers now than a few years ago.

Armalite is its own animal and a lot of people like them. I would rather go with a DPMS pattern as it seems way more parts are available.

There is the RRA 308 also. They seam to run great. Even though they use the FAL magazines.
Witch don't really have feed lips built in. The Lips for the FAL are built into the receiver. So there magazines are really more of a spring loaded ammo box.

I'm sure your not even considering this odd ball 308 AR. The reason I mention it is to point out the magazine design to those that don't know. To bad. I like RRA AR's. But like I said their 308 somehow works?

I have posted these pictures before. Sorry. I'm obsessed with the FAL!

And that brings up a good point! Why are you building a 308 AR? ;)

Last Edited:
One of the first questions you need to ask yourself is what kind of magazines do you want to use. That will answer a lot of your other questions.

When I build mine soon it will be the Stoner/SR-25/P-mag style.

The other consideration is that you can buy a hella nice AR-10 for about what you can build one for. That's where I'm at; looking at various 'ready to run' weapons. A couple that have caught my eye:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-pof-7-62mm-11t-m-r-r-tm-tactical-rail-16

<broken link removed>

Haven't made my mind up yet; may still do a bolt action gun. But, these are the things I'm considering, so far.

As they say, one guy's opinion......

Yeah if you are looking at the POF's Cabbalas actually has a good deal on them, <broken link removed>

I know in Yakima they have one in the traditional "silver" NP3 color for just under $2000. I keep looking at it hard, but it is a 14.5" pinned barrel and I want to run my can on it so I would have extra expensive of switching the brake out. I am going to build.

Yes. It's a good time to buy.

I just picked up a Colt 6920 Magpul FDE for $899 last week. And when they go down further I will get another!

I'm not sure. Have the AR build parts gone down in price like the complete rifles? In both 5.56 and .308?

And that brings up a good point! Why are you building a 308 AR? ;)

Well..... I Have two other .308 rifles. A Springfield SAR-8 and Cetme FR-8. Seems like sticking with 7.62 x 51 makes sense and I already have a stable full of small bore AR's so I have lots of parts. A .308 AR just seems like it's a good idea. I also plan on adding a Ruger Gunsite scout to the stable at some point.

I want to use P-mags so I guess that steers me towards one of the angled mag well lowers. I am strongly considering a Aero Precision upper and lower partly because they are 40% less money than the Mega or Rainer and seem like good bits.

The other consideration is that you can buy a hella nice AR-10 for about what you can build one for. That's where I'm at; looking at various 'ready to run' weapons. A couple that have caught my eye:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-pof-7-62mm-11t-m-r-r-tm-tactical-rail-16

<broken link removed>

Haven't made my mind up yet; may still do a bolt action gun. But, these are the things I'm considering, so far.

As they say, one guy's opinion......

I went into Rainer Arms today and looked at what they have. Honestly I am hoping I can build something for far less than $2500, Maybe that is delusional

I like the way you think!

I have my HK-91 and a Belgian 50.0 FAL. I can barely keep them fed. .308 is not that cheep any more.
It's gona hurt when I start replacing all the $375 per 1000 South African I bought. :(
But I will probably get a DPMS, SASS AR-308 at some point. I just like the way they look.

Edit- Actually I think it was $375 per 1200:(

Last Edited:
I went into Rainer Arms today and looked at what they have. Honestly I am hoping I can build something for far less than $2500, Maybe that is delusional

I'm still at the investigatory stage. My problem is that when I look at parts, I look at < really > nice parts, and blow past the fully assembled rifles cost pretty quickly. I haven't made up my mind yet, but that Rainier Arms is a sweet platform with nice parts, hell, it's even got a CMC trigger. The POF is a piston gun with an adjustable regulator, very suppressor friendly. My son the armorer tells me to get at least 16" if I'm going to do an AR10 platform. Hell, for about $3400 you can have a LaRue OBR and that's a pretty competent rifle, in anyone's book.

Ya. I kept hearing the guys at the gun stores telling people ''The RRA is just as good as the Colt'' Or ''The Bushmaster is just as good as the Colt''. And '' The S&W is just as good as the Colt''.

Then it hit me. Nobody is saying ''The Colt is just as good as brand-X''. Why? Because the Colt is the one all the others are compared to!

But that's why I bought, what I bought. You get what makes sense to you.

What about a Colt le901 [I think that's the number]? It is a bit gimmicky. But it will accept regular .556 AR uppers.
I see them for $2099 at Atlantic Firearms. So I'm sure you can get one for less.

Now just because it is a Colt Dose not mean much with the .308 rifles. Not unless they are making them to the same standards as the .556 rifle.

Do they have a military contract with the same strict standards as the .556 for their .308 AR's? I don't know?
But I have seen some cheep Colts before. Like the SAA Cowboy for example.

Just another option.

Buying a complete gun is lame when you can assemble it yourself!...

I seen lots of deals on 308 stuff...ares armour had some smoking deals on NiB bcgs and of course psa has there very affordable stuff...shop around and build a Franken 308!..

Franken 308 I put together last year for $1800 as it sits. That's with a Timney skeleton trigger, Rainier 18' match barrel, 15" Dimonhead guard and the Redfield scope. Using cheaper parts you make one for far less.
Also has the JP captured buffer

IMG_0093_zps0b7ce1b5.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews