JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went into Rainer Arms today and looked at what they have. Honestly I am hoping I can build something for far less than $2500, Maybe that is delusional

I think it is pretty easy to build a quality AR10 well under that. I am really liking the matched receivers from Aero as well as complete lowers from PSA. I am also looking to build one once tax cash comes in.

I
Resale value of a AR built buy some guy vs. a company built gun?

Now if your gona keep it who cares.

There are two types of people...one person always goes for the factory assembled/test fired weapon...they also dont take risks and like "constants"...
Then the other person who likes cool parts all mixed together, and likes the effort that it takes to shop around and assemble a piece. Also likes risks of another mans word that it works and fires...
I ignore classified ads for factory rifles...when I see an abortion AR. ..well it's gets my attention.

Your comment is a whole discussion among itself...

Ive owned about 16-18 ar15 based rifles...only two where factory assembled/bought etc..and I will never go that route again.
im shopping for parts for an ar10 and the last thing that came to my mind was should a buy a completed rifle....

Last Edited:
I dont own a single factory built AR rifle any more, and I have a lot of them. Its true the resale might be less, but so is the initial cost plus you are not buying a bunch of hardware that you are going to pull off and replace anyway. (at least for me)

None of that really matters though. The only thing that matters is its fun to build them.

None of that really matters though. The only thing that matters is its fun to build them.

Totally! !! I loved legos as a kid...well and AR is like grown up legos. Its literally super fun....unfortunately I can assembled an upper and lower to a completed rifle in an hour....on my couch....its still fun...next step for me is AR 10 legos....

Yes they are fun but like you said Drew I wish they took longer:( I built a Mega MaTen a few years ago and would like another.

But part of me wants a Ruger for some reason :confused:

Totally! !! I loved legos as a kid...well and AR is like grown up legos. Its literally super fun....unfortunately I can assembled an upper and lower to a completed rifle in an hour....on my couch....its still fun...next step for me is AR 10 legos....

I have maybe 15 AR rifles and pistols and boxes and boxes full of parts. I could build at least one rifle from just bits that I have laying around, If I had a gas block front sight I think I could build two. The only reason why its "only" two is because I finally sat down a week or two ago and built 3 rifles out of parts I had been gathering up. Granted all of them are pretty low buck. Most of my AR's I have less than $600 in, I have several that I have less than $400 in. I do have a couple that are over two grand though and a couple that are over a grand. I buy parts when I see them cheap knowing that eventually I'll find enough cheap parts to make a rifle. I bought $10 low profile gas blocks, Some nice black nitride BCG's for $60 A couple of $60 barrels, take off rails... On and on. Honestly the last thing I need is another AR, But its my hobby, I enjoy it and they are almost always worth more in cash than what I have in them (not that I would know that because I really dont sell any)

Last Edited:
You and me think alike. ...

QUOTE="IronMonster, post: 1210975, member: 20570"]I have maybe 15 AR rifles and pistols and boxes and boxes full of parts. I could build at least one rifle from just bits that I have laying around, If I had a gas block front sight I think I could build two. The only reason why its "only" two is because I finally sat down a week or two ago and built 3 rifles out of parts I had been gathering up. Granted all of them are pretty low buck. Most of my AR's I have less than $600 in, I have several that I have less than $400 in. I do have a couple that are over two grand though and a couple that are over a grand. I buy parts when I see them cheap knowing that eventually I'll find enough cheap parts to make a rifle. I bought $10 low profile gas blocks, Some nice black nitride BCG's for $60 A couple of $60 barrels, take off rails... On and on. Honestly the last thing I need is another AR, But its my hobby, I enjoy it and they are almost always worth more in cash than what I have in them (not that I would know that because I really dont sell any)

This is an old pic, I have built 5 or 6 more since then :)[/QUOTE]

So if you keep the parts price down. Then You should always get back your money? Smart.

I understand the hobby part of building AR's. You guys are sick wit AR's Like I am with WWII guns. I guess I was thinking of the guy who only wants one or two AR's.

We have the same bug. But with me it's gun repair. Any gun! But mostly WWII guns.
I love a wreck! If it's got promise I will buy it and repair it. Then repair the stock and refinish it.

I'm like the old guy working on muscle cars. And you guy's are the young punks working on rice burners.
Then blowing the doors off my GTO with your four banger! :s0140:

To end with. I would like to admit. I have built an AR or two. And I do a mean trigger job on AR's. Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone! :s0107:

So if you keep the parts price down. Then You should always get back your money? Smart.

I understand the hobby part of building AR's. You guys are sick wit AR's Like I am with WWII guns. I guess I was thinking of the guy who only wants one or two AR's.

We have the same bug. But with me it's gun repair. Any gun! But mostly WWII guns.
I love a wreck! If it's got promise I will buy it and repair it. Then repair the stock and refinish it.

I'm like the old guy working on muscle cars. And you guy's are the young punks working on rice burners.
Then blowing the doors off my GTO with your four banger! :s0140:

To end with. I would like to admit. I have built an AR or two. And I do a mean trigger job on AR's. Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone! :s0107:
Hey now no rice burners here...you build your pavement pounder gto...and ill keep building my rock crawlers and pre runners....haha.

Sorry for the thread detour...

I know its not super skookum stuff, But here is a .308 upper with BCG and charging handle for $400, Add in one of their assembled lowers for $329 and you have a $729 AR-10

Its not what I want, But the price seems attractive

<broken link removed>

PSA runs specials on their SS 18" upper with MWI keymod hand guard and complete LPK from time to time and was one route I was looking at going. Up until I checked today, they were $719 plus stripped lower at $129. They now show out of stock but I'm sure they will be back at some point. Not top of the line, but don't think it would be hard to get your $900 (with shipping/BGC) back out of it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top