Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Vancouver SWAT team responds to toy gun at school

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by BSG 75, Feb 2, 2010.

1. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

http://www.1190kex.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=123543&article=6733628

Shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday, two six-year-old Eleanor Roosevelt Elementary School students voiced concern to school staff that a ten-year-old was playing with what looked like a toy gun. Vancouver Police were called at 8:20 a.m., putting the school on lockdown and performing a sweep of the school.

Kim Kapp, a spokeswoman for the police department, said SWAT officers were on campus and additional officers were called in to assist. They responded as if the incident involved an active shooter though students had said from the beginning they thought the gun was a toy.

"They described the gun as multi-colored. They said they were aware it was a play gun and it fired some sort of smoke and rubber bands," she said.

No one was injured and the 10-year-old student was later found at home. He was questioned by police.

Vancouver School District spokeswoman Kris Sork said the district has a zero-tolerance policy on weapons at school.

"The first thing we do it take the child away from the school and interview the child with the parents," she said. "In this case, the police are there to talk to the child."

The district will determine if the situation with the toy gun is ground for expulsion.

Classes resumed around 9:15 a.m.

2. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Good thing it was a TOY.
    Wikipedia has a good definition of a weapon:

3. cjmack52

cjmack52 Vancouver, Wa New Member

My children attend school there it would be nice if they had at least released a statment for parents this morning instead of letting us find out that it was just a toy on the news at noon. the first and only report i recieved was from fox 12, and they reported it as possiable shot fired on the playground. "COMMUNICATION" is all i ask for.

4. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

The policy is actually against any weapons, items that look like weapons, items that make you feel like they are a weapon, anything scary, and any item that may be made into a weapon or something that looks like a weapon. This would include guns, knives, clubs, swords, grenades, tanks, and flame throwers. Oh... and play dough, toothbrushes, catnip, bar soap, kleenex, elastic band underwear, and feathers.

Its all pretty obvious here guys. And reasonable... and not irrational at all...

5. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

Franklin Elementary/Vancouver is where my child goes, they had a bomb scare several days ago. Cops, bomb squad, shutdown, whatever.

Someone found a piece of the aluminum tubing from the soccer nets.

I understand how folks can be concerned for their children. I understand better safe than sorry. However, I also expect that school officials that teach our children can at least figure out a piece of aluminum tubing.
    I gave up on common sense from these folks long ago...

Apparently the custodian had to confirm where it came from.

We did get a note sent home with our child explaining what happened, FWIW.

6. LogicBomb

LogicBomb Grants Pass Active Member

ya know when I was in highschool there was a 30-06 in the window of my pickup during deer season and a buck knife on my belt year round...never had any problems with that

7. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

2319!

8. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I don't think it's so much a lack of common sense, as a fear of getting sued. If the tube ends up being a bomb and someone gets hurt, I'm sure the lawsuits would fly.

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I guess I better get my fists removed before I walk onto any school grounds in "the 'couv"!! :bluelaugh:

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Zero tolerance = zero intelligence.

11. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

Even pointing your finger at another person can be called a "weapon!" And, these are the people who are training tomorrow's leaders!

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LOL... like I said, I better get my fists cut off before I ever darken the doorway of a Vancouver School!! :D

13. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

One more year of high school for one son and I can forget about public school for the rest of my life!

This is ridicules, it's starting to look like these thing are a serious case of attention whore syndrome more than they are about safety!

What's next we call Swat because a kid was sighted wearing a shirt with a picture of a gun on it?

14. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

That sounds shockingly possible, actually.