JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Cap gun triggers police response

Shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday, two six-year-old Eleanor Roosevelt Elementary School students voiced concern to school staff that a ten-year-old was playing with what looked like a toy gun. Vancouver Police were called at 8:20 a.m., putting the school on lockdown and performing a sweep of the school.

Kim Kapp, a spokeswoman for the police department, said SWAT officers were on campus and additional officers were called in to assist. They responded as if the incident involved an active shooter though students had said from the beginning they thought the gun was a toy.

"They described the gun as multi-colored. They said they were aware it was a play gun and it fired some sort of smoke and rubber bands," she said.

No one was injured and the 10-year-old student was later found at home. He was questioned by police.

Vancouver School District spokeswoman Kris Sork said the district has a zero-tolerance policy on weapons at school.

"The first thing we do it take the child away from the school and interview the child with the parents," she said. "In this case, the police are there to talk to the child."

The district will determine if the situation with the toy gun is ground for expulsion.

Classes resumed around 9:15 a.m.

Last Edited:
Vancouver School District spokeswoman Kris Sork said the district has a zero-tolerance policy on weapons at school.

Good thing it was a TOY.
Wikipedia has a good definition of a weapon:
Wikipedia said:
A weapon is a tool used to apply force for the purpose of causing harm or damage to persons, animals or structures. Weapons are used in hunting, attack, self-defense, or defense in combat and range from simple, prehistoric weapons like clubs and spears to complicated modern weapons such as intercontinental ballistic missiles.

In a wider sense, weapons may include anything used to gain an advantage over an enemy, or to put an enemy at a disadvantage. Examples include sieges, better tactics, and psychological weapons which reduce the morale of an enemy.

My children attend school there it would be nice if they had at least released a statment for parents this morning instead of letting us find out that it was just a toy on the news at noon. the first and only report i recieved was from fox 12, and they reported it as possiable shot fired on the playground. "COMMUNICATION" is all i ask for.

Good thing it was a TOY.
Wikipedia has a good definition of a weapon:

The policy is actually against any weapons, items that look like weapons, items that make you feel like they are a weapon, anything scary, and any item that may be made into a weapon or something that looks like a weapon. This would include guns, knives, clubs, swords, grenades, tanks, and flame throwers. Oh... and play dough, toothbrushes, catnip, bar soap, kleenex, elastic band underwear, and feathers.

Its all pretty obvious here guys. And reasonable... and not irrational at all...

Franklin Elementary/Vancouver is where my child goes, they had a bomb scare several days ago. Cops, bomb squad, shutdown, whatever.

Someone found a piece of the aluminum tubing from the soccer nets.

I understand how folks can be concerned for their children. I understand better safe than sorry. However, I also expect that school officials that teach our children can at least figure out a piece of aluminum tubing.
I gave up on common sense from these folks long ago...

Apparently the custodian had to confirm where it came from.

We did get a note sent home with our child explaining what happened, FWIW.

ya know when I was in highschool there was a 30-06 in the window of my pickup during deer season and a buck knife on my belt year round...never had any problems with that

I understand how folks can be concerned for their children. I understand better safe than sorry. However, I also expect that school officials that teach our children can at least figure out a piece of aluminum tubing.
I gave up on common sense from these folks long ago...

I don't think it's so much a lack of common sense, as a fear of getting sued. If the tube ends up being a bomb and someone gets hurt, I'm sure the lawsuits would fly.

The policy is actually against any weapons, items that look like weapons, items that make you feel like they are a weapon, anything scary, and any item that may be made into a weapon or something that looks like a weapon.

Its all pretty obvious here guys. And reasonable... and not irrational at all...

I guess I better get my fists removed before I walk onto any school grounds in "the 'couv"!! :s0112:

The policy is actually against any weapons, items that look like weapons, items that make you feel like they are a weapon, anything scary, and any item that may be made into a weapon or something that looks like a weapon. This would include guns, knives, clubs, swords, grenades, tanks, and flame throwers. Oh... and play dough, toothbrushes, catnip, bar soap, kleenex, elastic band underwear, and feathers.

Zero tolerance = zero intelligence.

One more year of high school for one son and I can forget about public school for the rest of my life!

This is ridicules, it's starting to look like these thing are a serious case of attention whore syndrome more than they are about safety!

What's next we call Swat because a kid was sighted wearing a shirt with a picture of a gun on it?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top