JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Funny... The difference a phrase makes. "Toy Gun" vs "Replica Weapon".

This is just another great example of the old line "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." Point a fake gun at people they may well point a real gun back and shoot. Sadly the little morons parents will most likely blame the victim here not the little scum kids.

A excellent way to avoid being shot or shot at , is to not try and rob folks.

What one sees in the heat of the moment , can be vastly different that what is really there....
The mind often "sees" what it wants or expects to see , not what is actually present.

Also how things are presented , can easily affect how one perceives what is there.
The OP points points this out with a remark about terms...
Toy gun versus Replica weapon....
Toy gun versus Replica Weapon...

In any event...as I said from the first...Don't want to get shot or shot at...then don't try and rob folks.
Andy

The article is disingenuous by describing the thrives tool of choice as a "toy gun", when indeed it was an accurate representation of a "replica firearm".

Just can't fix stupid. Sounds like someone got what they deserved. Period...

Agree with all of the above, but I am curious about the reasoning behind the charges. Are they saying that toy guns (or "replica firearms", if you prefer) are dangerous weapons, or is something else going on?

Dangerous for the perps, apparently.

Agree with all of the above, but I am curious about the reasoning behind the charges. Are they saying that toy guns (or "replica firearms", if you prefer) are dangerous weapons, or is something else going on?

I get it.

I was referring to the charges against the perps in the OP:

"Officials said a 15-year-old was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon after he was treated at the hospital.
In addition, a 16-year-old was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon. He was charged as a juvenile because of the Raise the Age law that went into effect in December.
Police said 18-year-old Toybyus Banks is still being treated for a gunshot wound in the hospital, but when he is released, he will be served with warrants for robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon."

How does a toy gun qualify as a dangerous weapon?

They had something in their hand, therefor a weapon. It was modified to look dangerous and could, in fact, do damage. Even a baseball bat or knitting needle could be considered a dangerous weapon depending on how it is used. At least that is how I am reading it.

Because stupid people do stupid things with something as simple as a Nerf gun, some locales have decided they are public enemy number one. The Burger Miester Miester Burger would be well pleased. Guess education isn't an option...

I get it.

I was referring to the charges against the perps in the OP:

"Officials said a 15-year-old was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon after he was treated at the hospital.
In addition, a 16-year-old was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon. He was charged as a juvenile because of the Raise the Age law that went into effect in December.
Police said 18-year-old Toybyus Banks is still being treated for a gunshot wound in the hospital, but when he is released, he will be served with warrants for robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon."

How does a toy gun qualify as a dangerous weapon?
That pesky little thing called intent...

Replicas and BB guns, for example, Umarex, are pretty realistic looking. I have some and their realism is one reason I do. So I can see how improper use of one of these could bring problems down on those involved.

BUT NERF GUNS??? Those weird things in Walt Disney colors that would never reasonably be confused as being lethal weapons.

You gotta wonder, the do-gooders and others who would do away with Nerf guns. Probably never had a laugh in their lives. To say that Nerf guns inspire violence in children, hey, we had toy guns back in the 1950's and those didn't cause us to go out and do a mass shooting.

I use BB guns with my grandson and also allow him some alone time with them. After careful briefing of don'ts. I use this as a continuing vehicle for gun safety, as he is REQUIRED to treat a BB gun as if it were a .22 LR or .38 wadcutter, which he also shoots when we're out in the woods.

I have to say, one of our BB guns is a Umarex licensed by Glock look-alike. If you put it on the bed next to a Glock 19 and 23, you really have to know what to look for to tell them apart. I can see how the Umarex would be handy for holding up convenience stores. (Bodegas in NY, liquor stores in CA, etc). John Dillinger fooled jail guards with a chunk of wood and some shoe polish.

Beat me to it.
It also notes they painted it up to more replicate a real firearm.
They wanted the fear of death.

They got it.
And therein lies the key as to why they were charged the way they were charged. We need more of this and more judges willing to punish stupidness or in this case intent, rather than making excuses for such behavior.

I wonder what the charge would be if it was a [replica] AR Pistol... with a fore grip! :eek:

The other article said it was at least an evil AR.

Authorities later said the "weapon" the criminals brandished was actually a painted toy gun that resembled an AR-style rifle. It is not yet known if the driver will face any charges.

It also did not state the charges for the criminals.

Here's a great example: Top is a 6mm AirSoft Sig P229, bottom is a Sig M11-A1 (9mm). Even to the trained eye, it's a tough call to make in a split second...

DD5A0BEC-E083-429B-B99A-085CB366DAD1.jpeg

15 and 16 years old? Attempting to rob someone with threat of deadly force? Attempting to rob someone using a gang / multiple attackers?

I hope they get tried as adults.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR