JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am applying for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit. The verbage on the Utah permit application is different from the Washington State permit. Washington State question asked if I was ever convicted of domestic violence. The answer is "NO". Utah State question asked if I was ever arrested for domestic violence. The answer is "Yes". The explanation to the "Yes" answer is embarrassing to me. I was never charged with domestic violence. Part of me says to answer "Yes" to the question and explain myself. The other part of me says to answer "No" since Washington State isn't concerned about it and I was never charged.

What do you guys think?

The arrest may not disqualify you in WA or UT, but if it shows up on the background check and you answer "No", then you are clearly dishonest and that may disqualify you. Do arrests show up on the background check?

Since I am airing my dirty laundry I was arrested for domestic violence in Oct 2001 or 2002 (been so long I don't remember what year it was). It was a verbal confrontation. Based on her accusations I was arrested. I spent the weekend in jail. I divorced her in 2003 and she is issued a permanent restraining order to never have any contact with me in any form.

I have included a copy of the permanent restraining order with my Utah Concealed Carry application to show she is was the aggressor along with my explanation.

Will this suffice?

Believe it means to call them. I see nothing regarding arrests on the current application which was updated in late March. <broken link removed>

I must have received an older form. The link you provided reads like the Washington State application. Asking if you have been "Convicted".

Thank you for the feed back.

Rotty your Utah CFP instructor should have explained to you the application process including what to do in this situation. You should have gotten the application in the class. In fact the application should have been done in class so if issues come up you could address them privately. I'd either call Utah and ask them or call the instructor who should explain what to do about this.

I divorced her in 2003 and she is issued a permanent restraining order to never have any contact with me in any form.

Red flag!

Per RCW, a permanent restraining order by a spouse or ex-spouse may qualify for Federal firearms prohibition.

AKA: Shut your trap right now and contact a lawyer. Do not acknowledge owning a firearm, do not acknowledge trying to acquire a firearm, contact a lawyer.

By my reading of Washington domestic violence law, it is possible that your order is one worded in such a way that you didn't lose your right to own firearms - but it is also very possible that you did. Contact a lawyer immediately to determine which kind you have, and petition to have that order withdrawn if it is. (And you probably should anyway, assuming you are not a threat, and haven't violated it in any way in the past 10 years.)

Red flag!

Per RCW, a permanent restraining order by a spouse or ex-spouse may qualify for Federal firearms prohibition.

AKA: Shut your trap right now and contact a lawyer. Do not acknowledge owning a firearm, do not acknowledge trying to acquire a firearm, contact a lawyer.

By my reading of Washington domestic violence law, it is possible that your order is one worded in such a way that you didn't lose your right to own firearms - but it is also very possible that you did. Contact a lawyer immediately to determine which kind you have, and petition to have that order withdrawn if it is. (And you probably should anyway, assuming you are not a threat, and haven't violated it in any way in the past 10 years.)

I think OP was saying that he had a permanent restraining order against her, As it showed her
as the aggressor. Not very well explained, though.

Red flag!

The restraining order is against the ex-wife.

Rotty your Utah CFP instructor should have explained to you the application process including what to do in this situation. You should have gotten the application in the class. In fact the application should have been done in class so if issues come up you could address them privately. I'd either call Utah and ask them or call the instructor who should explain what to do about this.
True. They instructor has to stamp the application too. If the app changed since your class, getting a later application stamped by the instructor should work. Guess it might depend on the state will process the original application if the wording is different.

Believe it means to call them. I see nothing regarding arrests on the current application which was updated in late March. <broken link removed>

Issue resolved. The problem, outdated document. The attached linked displayed the difference and after chatting with my trainer when I realized this he is going to send me a current application for Utah Concealed Carry Permit.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads