JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This bug has been fixed.
It's Google, doing no evil by inhibiting your 1st Amendment rights with regard to the 2nd Amendment.
Have you had your daily dose of spam calls yet?
Oddly, but happily, I don't get much in the way of spam calls even though I've had the same cell phone number for 10+ years. Maybe a couple per month is all.

I uninstalled the August 25th update of Chrome and the issue stopped happening. I would give that a try to see if it fixes the issue for you.

No joy. Version changed from 85 to 80 after uninstall. Rebooted the phone for good measure, but it's still acting up.

Maybe a 12 gauge slug right about here

X

will fix it?

No joy. Version changed from 85 to 80 after uninstall. Rebooted the phone for good measure, but it's still acting up.

Maybe a 12 gauge slug right about here

X

will fix it?

Can you post the version string for your version of Chrome? My working version is below
Screenshot_20200902-072854.png

Also, is it possible to do one more uninstall?

in my case the backspace closes the virtual keyboard on Android. This just started yesterday.
If you start a new thread, does it close the keyboard when you're typing in the text field to create the thread title? Mine only acts up in the text field for the body of the thread. In the title text field it works correctly.

It's Google, doing no evil by inhibiting your 1st Amendment rights with regard to the 2nd Amendment.
Have you had your daily dose of spam calls yet?
I just had a nimrod from the Middle East call and tell me that my Microsoft computer was infected with a virus (I have 100% Apple products, not a Microsoft or Google item or app in my household), so I told him I was very surprised that pigs like him were stupid enough to still be using the oldest scam in the world. He hung up. :)

When I have more time I sometimes play along, purposely failing to follow instructions and pretending to be techno illiterate (I retired as a corporate systems admin). It's fun sometimes.

Downloaded and installed GBoard (Google Keyboard) while I was eating lunch.

It appears to have solved half the problem.

The backspace button works now, but the enter button still closes the keyboard.
:s0092:

I just had a nimrod from the Middle East call and tell me that my Microsoft computer was infected with a virus (I have 100% Apple products, not a Microsoft or Google item or app in my household), so I told him I was very surprised that pigs like him were stupid enough to still be using the oldest scam in the world. He hung up. :)

When I have more time I sometimes play along, purposely failing to follow instructions and pretending to be techno illiterate (I retired as a corporate systems admin). It's fun sometimes.
had the Social Security office, by way of Bangalore, call me to tell me there was fraud on my SS account and my payments would be cut off. I feigned pathetic "old man" -- "I *need* those benefits, you cannot cut them off -- I'll be desperate !!" Followed up with "I cannot hear you" to everything they said. They called me ~6x over the next 24 hours.

had the Social Security office, by way of Bangalore, call me to tell me there was fraud on my SS account and my payments would be cut off. I feigned pathetic "old man" -- "I *need* those benefits, you cannot cut them off -- I'll be desperate !!" Followed up with "I cannot hear you" to everything they said. They called me ~6x over the next 24 hours.

There's a special, roped-off section of hell designated for people that prey on the elderly.

Galaxy Tab A just started doing this too. Noticed especially with delete and backspace.

I am checking everyone's suggestions and following.

Thanks for all input and help!

:s0155:

Not to derail this very important techno informative thread, but I've watched YouTubes of [people like you] "bricking" their computers while they are on the phone playing stupid with them.

I always laugh out loud wishing I knew how to do that.

Can you teach us? :D

Could one of you Galaxy users test the issue using the Samsung web browser?

The issue doesn't happen when I use the Opera browser, so it's really looking like Chrome 80.x doesn't like something with this site. I don't see the same issue when using Chrome 80.x with Reddit, for example.

Last Edited:
Problem also doesn't happen with the latest Chrome 'beta' version available from the app store. This would probably be a good work around for most Android users.

Could one of you Galaxy users test the issue using the Samsung web browser?

The issue doesn't happen when I use the Opera browser, so it's really looking like Chrome 80.x doesn't like something with this site. I don't see the same issue when using Chrome 80.x with Reddit, for example.

Using the samsung browser seems to alleviate the issue of the keyboard closing when hitting the backspace and enter key.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top