Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Using a suppressor to get to 16"

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by gunjunky, Sep 11, 2013.

1. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

I have been considering utilizing a suppressor with a short barreled AR upper to meet thte 16 inch requirement. This of course would mean the can was permanently fixed to the barrel by pinning it in place.

This seems like a viable solution to a number of problems relating to SBR use as a 10.5" PWS upper with a 6" suppressor provides a handy and somewhat quiet 16.5 rifle. Especially if a quad rail float tube that covers some of the suppressor can be located.

Thoughts?

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Can you make an SBR without the tax stamp beforehand?
    And, I have read that short barrel rifles are hard on suppressors.
    What happens if you need to remove the can for whatever reason, wouldn't you then be in possession of an SBR without the stamp?

3. gunjunky

Good questions. Will be an interesting discussion.

4. jbett98

When a manufactured suppressor serial # is submitted to the ATF, it has a description of length and caliber. How would you change the length on the form 4, since it's going to be permanently attached to the rifle.

5. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Another thing, there is 1/2" overlap between a threaded barrel and a suppressor. 10.5" + 6" = a 16" barrel when overlap is subtracted. Which is ok, as long as it's really 16" and not 15.99" ;)

6. Chunky Milk

Chunky Milk Springtucky Member

1. can you make the SBR before receiving the stamp= NO!!!! federal crime

2. SBR's are hard on cans: kinda, depends on the can, and caliber, .300 AAC is a lot easier on a can than 5.56, however for this application i recommend a Brevis suppressor, (made here in springfield too) rated down to 7" barrels on 5.56, heavy as all get out but they are solid, and quiet.

3. Remove upper from lower, give your lower to a friend for the day and do your work on the upper somewhere separate to get around constructive possession. (consult lawyer before doing this!!!!) however if you are getting a sealed can (most are) there is no reason why you should need to take it off, in fact i think you would need a sealed can because one that is serviceable would not make the can permanent and therefore an SBR.

the length of the suppressor is not changing, the upper is, so the form 4 stays the same. so long as the upper is 16" (and a permanent suppressor counts in length) it is not an SBR

7. gunjunky

CM,
    Sounds like you think similar to me regarding the idea, as long as there is no lower involved until the upper is done then there should not be an issue.

Can you talk more about the can you mentioned.

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Two years after the fact and we still can't just buy an AAC Honey Badger? (Vent)

9. Modeler

The OP is in Washington, so an SBR is out of the question anyhow.

10. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

The real question is what are you realy trying to do?

Best bet on this is contacting ATF for clearity.

Modeler and (deleted member) like this.
  11. gunjunky

what are you realy trying to do?*

Build a carbine that is not longer than it must be with a suppressor mounted, simple. No conspiracy

PBinWA and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Modeler

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

13. ThePhonMan

ThePhonMan Spokanistan Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

There’s always the option of a 16” integrally suppressed barrel and solving the 16” OAL problem that way. I guess the real issues would be does one exist?

I’m sure the “game changer”, “never been done before” experts at Red Jacket Firearms could probably hook you up. :)

Brutus57 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Invader

Invader Beaverton Member

This is a good question, especially since Sig Sauer is calling this a "muzzle break"

15. Modeler

FWIW, I remember Coctailer posting that he was working on pinning suppressors to short barrels to sell in Washington state. Not sure if he ever got anywhere on that, but it'd be worth PM'ing him and asking.

16. Chunky Milk

Chunky Milk Springtucky Member

its the Brevis suppressor line from Delta P design see here: BREVIS 5.56 Suppressor : Shop : Delta P Design?

17. beezer66

beezer66 Salem, OR Active Member

Daniel Defense makes something along those lines, 10.3 barrel with attached suppressor in .300 Blackout. Might be able to find a company that makes the rifle with can attached. Daniel Defense

18. jbett98

I hope that also includes the tax stamp.

19. conp435

conp435 woodinville Active Member

Check out the liberty Leonidas integral 300blackout

20. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

Why not try something like the Tactial Solutions AR22 SB-X upper but in a standard AR platform? That way you can still use the suppressor on another firearm. :thumbup: