JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been considering utilizing a suppressor with a short barreled AR upper to meet thte 16 inch requirement. This of course would mean the can was permanently fixed to the barrel by pinning it in place.

This seems like a viable solution to a number of problems relating to SBR use as a 10.5" PWS upper with a 6" suppressor provides a handy and somewhat quiet 16.5 rifle. Especially if a quad rail float tube that covers some of the suppressor can be located.

Thoughts?

Can you make an SBR without the tax stamp beforehand?
And, I have read that short barrel rifles are hard on suppressors.
What happens if you need to remove the can for whatever reason, wouldn't you then be in possession of an SBR without the stamp?

When a manufactured suppressor serial # is submitted to the ATF, it has a description of length and caliber. How would you change the length on the form 4, since it's going to be permanently attached to the rifle.

Another thing, there is 1/2" overlap between a threaded barrel and a suppressor. 10.5" + 6" = a 16" barrel when overlap is subtracted. Which is ok, as long as it's really 16" and not 15.99" ;)

Can you make an SBR without the tax stamp beforehand?
And, I have read that short barrel rifles are hard on suppressors.
What happens if you need to remove the can for whatever reason, wouldn't you then be in possession of an SBR without the stamp?

1. can you make the SBR before receiving the stamp= NO!!!! federal crime

2. SBR's are hard on cans: kinda, depends on the can, and caliber, .300 AAC is a lot easier on a can than 5.56, however for this application i recommend a Brevis suppressor, (made here in springfield too) rated down to 7" barrels on 5.56, heavy as all get out but they are solid, and quiet.

3. Remove upper from lower, give your lower to a friend for the day and do your work on the upper somewhere separate to get around constructive possession. (consult lawyer before doing this!!!!) however if you are getting a sealed can (most are) there is no reason why you should need to take it off, in fact i think you would need a sealed can because one that is serviceable would not make the can permanent and therefore an SBR.

When a manufactured suppressor serial # is submitted to the ATF, it has a description of length and caliber. How would you change the length on the form 4, since it's going to be permanently attached to the rifle.

the length of the suppressor is not changing, the upper is, so the form 4 stays the same. so long as the upper is 16" (and a permanent suppressor counts in length) it is not an SBR

CM,
Sounds like you think similar to me regarding the idea, as long as there is no lower involved until the upper is done then there should not be an issue.

Can you talk more about the can you mentioned.

There's always the option of a 16" integrally suppressed barrel and solving the 16" OAL problem that way. I guess the real issues would be does one exist?

I'm sure the "game changer", "never been done before" experts at Red Jacket Firearms could probably hook you up. :)

FWIW, I remember Coctailer posting that he was working on pinning suppressors to short barrels to sell in Washington state. Not sure if he ever got anywhere on that, but it'd be worth PM'ing him and asking.

Daniel Defense makes something along those lines, 10.3 barrel with attached suppressor in .300 Blackout. Might be able to find a company that makes the rifle with can attached. <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top