JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check out the liberty Leonidas integral 300blackout

This is a viable platform if you are doing 300 <broken link removed> I am not sure if they do anything else. I have looked really hard at this as I am into the 300 and a WA resident. Plus my neighbor is a licensed dealer for Liberty;) Good luck with your adventure:s0155:

I really wish WA would just pass a law for SBRs:(

+1 on the Tactical Solutions SBX "solution". Short barrel, with a permanently attached "cage" to extend
the length to 16". Should be easy to do on a AR, as easy as a permanently attached muzzle brake. Just
don't forget to slip the gas block on first.

My suppressor sticks out past the cage on my 10-22 just far enough to get a grasp on it to
install/remove it. That cage does more than just get the barrel out to legal---suppressors
get H-O-T, and the cage acts as a handguard.

Since Sig is calling what is essentially a monocore baffle stack sans the tube as a break you could go that route as well - then you can just register/serialize the tube as the suppressor - in theory you could have several breaks that are the same dimension so you could move the tube from one break to another. Then again ATF may look at this as having various "spare silencer parts" which is a big no no. whatever you decide you may want to send the ATF technical branch a letter clarifying that your plan is legal - that way you have it from them in writing that its good to go.

My thinking is this buy the barrel have it sent the the shop making the can. Pick out a can with mono-core and have the mono-core permanently fixed to the barrel by blind pinning or high them sliver-solider. This way you can remove the outer shell and still clean your can with out having an SBR. If you like you can still use the rifle with out the outer shell with out worry of ATF being unhappy. Remember to have them put the S/N on all major parts of the CAN to reduce questions that may pop up. :s0131:
Remember the tax stamp is for the the can and the parts that make it up, no including any added parts. When your paper work is complete stop by the local court house and get a small certified copy made of your paper work to keep with the rifle. Like in a storge compartment on the rifle becuse if you get stopped the cops may be a little unhappy when you tell them that the paper work is X. And getting a replacement copy of your paper work is a true pain in the but.;)
Please note the pinning is not the same as blind pinning. Blind pinning needs to be welded over the pin hole.

Last Edited:
Wow there is a lot of misinformation on this post. It is not that hard and not coming up with something new and never seen before. it is quite common. What exactly does the ATF need contacted for?

As stated in WA there is no SBS/SBR so that is out of the question.

Next part is barrel/can length. MOST makers of silencers suggest that 10.5" barrel should be the shortest used with 5.56mm as there is a lot of unburned powder and heat being created on the first baffle. This can result in premature wear. If that is acceptable to you then no worries.

What do you need to take apart a 5.56mm can for? Guess I missed that one. .22 yes for sure it needs to be able to be cleaned. Any other caliber eeeehhh :s0092:

The can is the can according to the Form 1 if you make it, Form 4 if you buy it. This does not include what it is attached to. There is nothing to change on the form if you permanently attach it.

If you choose to go this route there are two major things to remember. First make SURE it is at least 16" when fully assembled. As stated 10.5"+6" does not =16.5 when you figure in the threading. Second is that it needs to be permanently attached per the ATF regs, http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

The easiest way to do a project like this is to send your upper to whoever you are buying the can from. They should have the proper tools to permanently attach properly.

Here is a 9mm AR I did years ago. I sent the upper with 6" barrel off to SRT who finished it up by adding the silencer,
DSC_0010.jpg

To>>> Nwcid how long did it take to get your paper work back for the stamp? Did you have any issues getting the sign offs needed?
What exactly does the ATF need contacted for? When in question it's best to ask the people who may late try to toss you in jail. The letter you get back from them will hold up in a court of law unlike "This guy on the internet said...." A with that certified copy of the ATF letter make keep you from spending a night in jail from some cop that don't know the law. If you permanently attach it to the barrel now the over all size has changed for it to have changed it can't be permanently attach is one way to look at it. So why not ask them if the paper work needs to be changed?
What do you need to take apart a 5.56mm can for? To clean out the unburned powder, but I don't think the OP told us what cal. The 300AAC Blackout was made to be used with short barrels but at 11in you can still get unburned powder.

I do know I'm too good looking of a guy to go to jail! I never been and I'm not trying to go! And trying to play the "I didn't know card" don't work in a court of law.
If the OP don't feel like have the AFT know what he's doing by send in a letter then I'll send on in for the OP if asked to. Here is were you send the letters to:

Contact Us | ATF
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives cannot respond to e-mail inquiries relating to technical, policy and/or legal questions. Inquiries of this nature can only be addressed through a written letter outlining your questions to the following address:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
99 New York Avenue, NE, Room 5S 144
Washington, DC 20226 USA
You will receive a written response to your inquiry.

Ok, if it makes you feel better to ask the ATF questions that have already been answered feel free. Or you could just read up on all the stuff they have already published, <broken link removed> and if it not in there search their site. If you think a letter will hold up ask how that worked for all the owners of Akins as well as many other "letters"...........

As for cans I guess I had no idea I needed to clean out my centerfire cans. None of them have needed it yet and I have had them for years...............

Akins? They sent AFT a busted prototype that didn't work. And the two are not the same.
As for cans I guess I had no idea I needed to clean out my centerfire cans. None of them have needed it yet and I have had them for years...............
Please not it was until the last few year illegal to use your can in Wa. The state law let you buy one but not use one. The law was made in away that even police was not free from it. Mid 2011 was a good time :huh:? You can do what you like with your things, some of us like to keep things in top condition.
Please remember this is open to the internet......
It is generally accepted that any ATF "law letters" is applicable only to the person(s) addressed in them. Have a read at this. >>> Gun makers baffled by ATF criteria - Washington Times

Akins? They sent AFT a busted prototype that didn't work. And the two are not the same.

Please not it was until the last few year illegal to use your can in Wa. The state law let you buy one but not use one. The law was made in away that even police was not free from it. Mid 2011 was a good time :huh:? You can do what you like with your things, some of us like to keep things in top condition.
Please remember this is open to the internet......
It is generally accepted that any ATF "law letters" is applicable only to the person(s) addressed in them. Have a read at this. >>> Gun makers baffled by ATF criteria - Washington Times

I am aware of when the law changed. I bought my first silencer in 2005 and have been shooting them IN WA since then. Oh NO, and it was even witnessed by LEO's :s0095:. I could not even tell you how many rounds I have though them.

My silencers are in top condition. I guess since no one told them they need to be broke down (not that they are able to be) they are working as designed. Guess the makers didn't know either.......

Again look up and see how many of those letters they have "changed" their mind on. Akins is just one case.

Yes this is open to the internet, and your point?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top