JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
American Civilians Estimated To Own 400 Million Firearms - The Firearm Blog

1-768x744.png

I think that is maybe a low esitmate

I fear our own country more when it comes to our freedoms than any other country on earth.it should not be that way.

Do also consider; the number of firearms that are damaged, museum pieces, destroyed, or lost..... 1 billion firearms in the world is about right, accounting that thousands, if not millions have been destroyed, lost, or damaged beyond repair, or turned to rust and museum pieces. :rolleyes:

On the other hand...yeah we're slacking. what % of that number are rifles?? what % shotguns? % pistols?

Well, lets get to 50%. You gotta have goals Man.
And two rifles and a couple of handguns behind every blade of grass.

This has got to be a huge underestimate. Whenever I get a call from someone claiming to do a poll or survey, I just say no and hang up. And no way could I imagine telling some stranger about whether I owned a gun at all, let alone how many. And I can't imagine all the gun owners who lost their guns in tragic boating accidents would be very forthcoming.

So if my Iphone math is correct....

World population is estimated 7.442 BILLION
US population is 327 Million

So the US only accounts for roughly 4.4% of the worlds population yet owns an estimated 46% of the guns. Nice!

But for those of you that still think were a bunch slackers....

Of the 320 million citizens in the US only around 35-40% own guns. Taking the high guesstimate of 40% it looks like approximately 1.75% [130.8 mil] of the worlds population owns 46% of the privately held firearms in the world. Extra Nice!

Its no wonder they want to snuff out our rights. So we can join the rest world living under a government boot or buttstock.

ETA: I mistakenly grabbed the 46% number from George Washington above. 40% is the figure givin in the OP so my numbers are fubar and I don't want to recalculate. I'm proud of us either way!

Last Edited:
So if my Iphone math is correct....

World population is estimated 7.442 BILLION
US population is 327 Million

So the US only accounts for roughly 4.4% of the worlds population yet owns an estimated 46% of the guns. Nice!

But for those of you that still think were a bunch slackers....

Of the 320 million citizens in the US only around 35-40% own guns. Taking the high guesstimate of 40% it looks like approximately 1.75% [130.8 mil] of the worlds population owns 46% of the privately held firearms in the world. Extra Nice!

Its no wonder they want to snuff out our rights. So we can join the rest world living under a government boot or buttstock.

ETA: I mistakenly grabbed the 46% number from George Washington above. 40% is the figure givin in the OP so my numbers are fubar and I don't want to recalculate. I'm proud of us either way!

Let me try, using these stats: Three percent of the population own half of the civilian guns in the US
(2013 numbers)
  • 270-310M firearms in the US
  • 22-29% of Americans own all the guns in America (I'll round this to 25%)
  • 3% of gun owners own half the guns in America
.25 * 316M = 79M Americans who own at least one firearm
0.03 * 79M = 2,370,000 Americans collectively own between 135M and 155M firearms.

Taking the middle value of 145M firearms from above for that 3%, those 2.37M Americans own on average 61.18 firearms each.

I'll have to remember this number next time my wife complains if I want to buy a gun -- I'm not even close to carrying my weight.

California owns a crapton but they have to keep them in their closets which is gay.
Don't they have those cool receiver loaded ARs with the fixed magazines now? Bet there's a big line at the gun store to buy those. I'm sure all the old ones have been modified and registered;). I don't know if I have any of the above correct. I tried to read all their doos and don'ts in CA and I can't make sense of it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top