JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I've just about collected every handgun niche I could think of and I'm starting to feel handgun fatigue. My wallet is too, so maybe I shouldn't be asking for this.

That aside, I'm interested in looking into handguns out there that are unusual in operation that I can start getting into. Think bond arms/boberg bull pup or chiappa rhino/matebas.

What cool handguns are out there that are slightly unusual in operation? Suggestions and any experiences are welcome.

-Rob

Unique is certainly open to interpretation, but I would certainly put the Mateba in that class. Magazine fed shotguns used to be, but not so much anymore. Belt feds still stand out in a crowd. I still love the toggle action on a Luger pistol. This thread also reminds me that I need to post my Calicos, so shameless plug inserted here!

Here, this is VERY unusual and properly utilized should end your conundrum the first time you use it. :D

IMG_4080.JPG

As for modern firearms, there are not a whole lot of unique designs being made now. I once went through ATF list of manufacturers and googled many of the low production companies that I had not heard of to see what they were making. Nothing quite stood out. Lots of 1911 clones and AR15 pistols.
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/undefined/afmer-2015-final/download

If you are going for older firearms then you will find a lot of unique stuff, but the more unique it is, the more expensive and harder to find it will be.

One option to consider is building a 80% pistol. That gives you the option of making something yourself and adding your own parts and look to it. There are 1911, sig p229 and glock kits out there. Though based on common pistols, it will certainly be unique if you make it yourself.

Agreed with post #6. The Dardick was a truly bizarre design. Video in case it is of interest.

The Gyrojet was another wacky design from, roughly, the same time period.

They also made a carbine version.

I seem to recall the Gyroject was shown in the James Bond flick You Only Live Twice.

Last Edited:
Semmerling 45. Manual Action, you have to cock the slide between each shot.

Cobray Pocket Pal. Frame has two barrels and it comes with two cylinders. Fires .380 or 22LR. The .380 is painful.

AF2011-A1 Prismatic Dueller

When it comes to oddballs as far as function goes. There are quite a few.
Some are expensive. Some less so.

Some were adopted in great numbers. Some were more obscure.

The HK P7 is certainly different. Yet it managed to go main stream.
And the CZ 52 was adopted buy a military. As was the Luger and P-38/Beretta 92FS family of handguns.

Today we seam to have settled on the tilting barrel lock breach handgun as the best, most common design.
All others are becoming. Or have become, interesting evolutionary dead ends. But still worth collecting.
Most function well. Many are hand fitted, and very precisely made. And best of all. They are fascinating.

Last Edited:
Maybe a Remington XP-100 or similar rifle caliber pistol.

Those were certainly unique pistols from back in the day. I seem to recall similar unusual designs for silhouette shooting from that era.

In case anyone finds them interesting, there are a couple of American Handgunner magazines from the 70s and 80s that covers the XP-100.

HJF79hz-1.jpg

Magazine here.

HJA82hz-1.jpg

Magazine here.

Cheers. :)

I like Dan Wesson revolvers(pre CZ buy out).. they are unique in that you can find interchangeable barrels from 2" all the way up to 15" for the same frame. Super high quality, accurate shooters, and Not terribly pricy either... relitivly speaking. hell they even have factory kits that came with several barrels and a belt buckle!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top