JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I`m not a hunter but I figure the crowd here may be able to lend a hand.

While down at the creek the other day I came across a really weird animal track in the mud, it had two long fingers about as long as your middle and pointer fingers and a smaller one pointing behind like a dog`s dew claw. I didn`t get a picture then and now that the creek is overflowing there`s no way to get one. There was another today though, partially submerged. Same size and shape, and pushed deep into the muck. According to my books it`s possibly some sort of large predatory bird. I`m sure it`s nocturnal since the dogs keep barking at something by the creek almost nightly. If it`s some kind of bird maybe the weather disturbed it`s nest or something? Might explain why it`s down here now. Thanks in advance and if I come across any more I`ll try to get a pic.

I would guess a blue heron? Most common around water and they are big birds
heron-track-signed.jpg

heron-track-signed.jpg

That looks about right, I didn`t see a third toe up front but that doesn`t mean one wasn`t there. It was partially submerged to begin with.

Hey, I got down to the bottom of the hill at the creek where I found them. Wasn`t able to get any really good photos (no new tracks, only the remains of what were there) but here`s one of the area itself:
hpYnVvj.jpg
This is what was left of the partially-submerged track, it was mostly washed away and I`m not 100% sure how well it shows up in the photo itself so I tried to show the general shape with my impeccable MS Paint skills.
y20TL3P.jpg

hpYnVvj.jpg

y20TL3P.jpg

Hey, I got down to the bottom of the hill at the creek where I found them. Wasn`t able to get any really good photos (no new tracks, only the remains of what were there) but here`s one of the area itself:
View attachment 274143
This is what was left of the partially-submerged track, it was mostly washed away and I`m not 100% sure how well it shows up in the photo itself so I tried to show the general shape with my impeccable MS Paint skills.
View attachment 274144
That looks like a partial duck track. If it's the shape you drew.

We have owls around, too. Could`ve been hunting something down at the creek easily. It`s a straight shot from the trees on top of the hill to the tracks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top