JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I`m not a hunter but I figure the crowd here may be able to lend a hand.

While down at the creek the other day I came across a really weird animal track in the mud, it had two long fingers about as long as your middle and pointer fingers and a smaller one pointing behind like a dog`s dew claw. I didn`t get a picture then and now that the creek is overflowing there`s no way to get one. There was another today though, partially submerged. Same size and shape, and pushed deep into the muck. According to my books it`s possibly some sort of large predatory bird. I`m sure it`s nocturnal since the dogs keep barking at something by the creek almost nightly. If it`s some kind of bird maybe the weather disturbed it`s nest or something? Might explain why it`s down here now. Thanks in advance and if I come across any more I`ll try to get a pic.

I would guess a blue heron? Most common around water and they are big birds
heron-track-signed.jpg

heron-track-signed.jpg

That looks about right, I didn`t see a third toe up front but that doesn`t mean one wasn`t there. It was partially submerged to begin with.

Hey, I got down to the bottom of the hill at the creek where I found them. Wasn`t able to get any really good photos (no new tracks, only the remains of what were there) but here`s one of the area itself:
hpYnVvj.jpg
This is what was left of the partially-submerged track, it was mostly washed away and I`m not 100% sure how well it shows up in the photo itself so I tried to show the general shape with my impeccable MS Paint skills.
y20TL3P.jpg

hpYnVvj.jpg

y20TL3P.jpg

Hey, I got down to the bottom of the hill at the creek where I found them. Wasn`t able to get any really good photos (no new tracks, only the remains of what were there) but here`s one of the area itself:
View attachment 274143
This is what was left of the partially-submerged track, it was mostly washed away and I`m not 100% sure how well it shows up in the photo itself so I tried to show the general shape with my impeccable MS Paint skills.
View attachment 274144
That looks like a partial duck track. If it's the shape you drew.

We have owls around, too. Could`ve been hunting something down at the creek easily. It`s a straight shot from the trees on top of the hill to the tracks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top