JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off I have not reseached this. My girlsfriend sent me this, and it scares her. For those who have the knowlage and resorces to find out better please let us know. I looked and did'nt see this posted yet!

Read The Bill: H.R. 5741 - GovTrack.us

==========================================================

Text of H.R. 5741: Universal National Service Act

Jul 15, 2010 - Introduced in House. This is the original text of the bill as it was written by its sponsor and submitted to the House for consideration. This is the latest version of the bill currently available on GovTrack.

HR 5741 IH

111th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 5741

To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

July 15, 2010

Mr. RANGEL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A BILL

To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.

(a) Short Title- This Act may be cited as the ‘Universal National Service Act’.
(b) Table of Contents- The table of contents for this Act is as follows:

Sec. 1. Short title; table of contents.

TITLE I--NATIONAL SERVICE

Sec. 101. Definitions.
Sec. 102. National service obligation.
Sec. 103. Induction to perform national service.
Sec. 104. Two-year period of national service.
Sec. 105. Implementation by the President.
Sec. 106. Examination and classification of persons.
Sec. 107. Deferments and postponements.
Sec. 108. Induction exemptions.
Sec. 109. Conscientious objection.
Sec. 110. Discharge following national service.

TITLE II--AMENDMENTS TO MILITARY SELECTIVE SERVICE ACT
Sec. 201. Registration of females.
Sec. 202. Registration and induction authority.

TITLE I--NATIONAL SERVICE
SEC. 101. DEFINITIONS.

In this title:

(1) The term ‘contingency operation’ has the meaning given that term in section 101(a)(13) of title 10, United States Code.

(2) The term ‘military service’ means service performed as a member of an active or reserve component of the uniformed services.

(3) The term ‘national service’ means military service or service in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the President, promotes the national defense, including national or community service and service related to homeland security.

(4) The term ‘Secretary concerned’ means the Secretary of Defense with respect to the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps, the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard, the Secretary of Commerce, with respect to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Secretary of Health and Human Services, with respect to the Public Health Service.

(5) The term ‘United States’, when used in a geographical sense, means the several States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam.

(6) The term ‘uniformed services’ means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and commissioned corps of the Public Health Service.

SEC. 102. NATIONAL SERVICE OBLIGATION.

(a) Obligation for Service- It is the obligation of every citizen of the United States, and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a period of national service as prescribed in this title unless exempted under the provisions of this title.

(b) Forms of National Service- The national service obligation under this title shall be performed either--

(1) as a member of an active or reserve component of the uniformed services; or

(2) in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the President, promotes the national defense, including national or community service and service related to homeland security.

(c) Age Limits- A person may be inducted under this title only if the person has attained the age of 18 and has not attained the age of 42.

It's simply a political stunt, Rangel knows it won't go anywhere. This was drummed up during the Bush years when he (Rangel) was gaining attention for himself by saying that rich, white politicians and their sons don't get sent to fight wars.

Mr. RANGEL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

Conscription is slavery.

Rangel, the tax evader, shouldn't be throwing mandatory service around. I can respect him as a veteran of Korea, but not as a corrupt politician.

Even more annoying; we use part of our lives to earn a living to pay taxes; its not enough for tax increasing clowns like this. They want even a bigger piece of your life through service, like they were some feudal lords.

GRRRRRRR, I get pulled in to easy to these sorts of discussions, when over here, I should be focused on happy thoughts, like guns, and MORE GUNS and how to help keep everyone free to enjoy shooting like I do, if they want to.

Last Edited:
Hitlers brown shirts. The military won't back your dreams? Start your own!

You think Hitler. Funny, I was thinking more in terms of The Israeli Defense Force or The Swiss Army. Everyone does a period of active duty and then either goes career military or serves in the reserves for 20 years.

Although, I admit I am a bigger fan of the carrot, not the stick. I would like to see national service become something that employers look for in a new employee, something that colleges and trade schools use to determine who gets priority admittance. Maybe veterans (and those physically incapable who give non-military service) would have some extra perks. Maybe those that fail to serve in some capacity (maybe not even in the military) would suffer some social stigma for not serving. And, maybe, just maybe, our apathetic populace would feel "bought in" and would participate in our democracy and question what wars we fought, where we spend our taxes, and maybe, just maybe, they would vote.

You think Hitler. Funny, I was thinking more in terms of The Israeli Defense Force or The Swiss Army. Everyone does a period of active duty and then either goes career military or serves in the reserves for 20 years.

Although, I admit I am a bigger fan of the carrot, not the stick. I would like to see national service become something that employers look for in a new employee, something that colleges and trade schools use to determine who gets priority admittance. Maybe veterans (and those physically incapable who give non-military service) would have some extra perks. Maybe those that fail to serve in some capacity (maybe not even in the military) would suffer some social stigma for not serving. And, maybe, just maybe, our apathetic populace would feel "bought in" and would participate in our democracy and question what wars we fought, where we spend our taxes, and maybe, just maybe, they would vote.

Good points, considering the unemployment rate, especially among young people (I read a stat that said it was 75% recently?) maybe this is a very good idea.

How about those of us who tried to get into ROTC but were 4F due to eyesight? You going to penalize me? (Thank God for lasik surgery, I'm now 20/20.)

How about those of us who tried to get into ROTC but were 4F due to eyesight? You going to penalize me? (Thank God for lasik surgery, I'm now 20/20.)

Obviously, if we were to do something like this, we would need to find a way for those that are physically incapable to serve in other ways OR find military jobs where eyesight (or whatever the disability) is not important to the task).

As I said before, I am a fan of the carrot, not the stick and would like to see this in a more voluntary type of arrangement. In Israel, students build there resume with grades and activities in order to compete for choice billets in the military. How one serves and in what capacity can give a young Israeli a huge boost when they enter civilian life.

Even if the service weren't in the military, young people can gain a lot by taking two years off after high school and learning some life skills or vocational skills. What young person wouldn't benefit from meeting other young Americans from all over the country and coming together to accomplish a task? Does it really matter if that task is driving a tank, or working in a national park, helping hurricane/earthquake/flood victims, or whatever needs to be done.

I think service and shared experience were what provided us with The Greatest Generation" and we could have that again, all the time.

Mister Correct is correct about conscription, and Loco touched on what I think would be a better idea: There should be a form of national service that is voluntary and does not necessarily pertain to national defense. Something like the CCC's (Civilian Conservation Corps) in the '30's.

With our impending (or present, according to your evaluation) economic depression, this should be looked at: In the '30's it allowed a huge amount of unemployed young men to make a wage that would feed them, learn some skills (building, forestry, etc.), and get a start on life. The Northwest benefited greatly from this program not only in projects completed, but the migration of a labor force from other depressed areas of the country.

Now, on the more skeptical side of the issue, my mother was always suspicious of any attempt by government to conscript. She even held some serious reservations about these programs police departments sponsor to "register your kid" at the police station, with a photo, fingerprints, etc, ostensibly to assist if he went missing. Mom was a serious student of history, and knew that this was the method China used to keep track of kids becoming of the age to serve in the military.

While the fact that the Feds would do this gives me the creeps, I think it's an outstanding idea if it or something like it is implemented and held accountable on the local level (county?). Kids need to know what it means to serve, need jobs and structure and local communities need the labor to get things done. As a business owner I see way too many young healthy adults coming into my business on public assistance who are perfectly capable of work. Much of the money is already being spent but we could at least get some work done as well as some acbubblegumability for where the $ goes!

Nice job of simplifying things in your example.

1. the Swiss aren't out there playing world policeman and starting wars which their citizens will then have to die for. Please tell me the last war Switzerland has participated in. Let me help you since I know you won't bother looking it up, 1815.

2. Israel is at a constant state of alert and the second they relax their forces they will be invaded from all sides. In other words they have no choice every able bodied Israeli is needed to defend their country.

3rd point, every draft in the last 100 years was started by a Democrat! I wasn't born as a tool for my government. I chose not to allow my government to make life and death choices for me. Which this legislation and the draft I have no choice. Our system of military service works, leave it the way it is.

In situations where the draft has been used over the last 100 years for the most part the poor have been the ones that have done the fighting and dieing the rich and powerful had outs for their kids if they didn't wish to serve.

Hitlers brown shirts. The military won't back your dreams? Start your own!

+1 Obama has been very open about wanting his own private army outside the military chain of command. I don't trust this administration to do the right thing and put America first. This is a way to legalize enslavement.

Obama has said he wants this, Rahm Emanual has said we will all wear uniforms and serve. This is nothing to laugh at. The chances are pretty slim this will pass for now, but you should be concerned that they are even pushing for this. Our police are being federalized, our troops are operating on domestic soil, and a stazi-like spy force is being put in place. Ignore this stuff if you can, but the longer it takes for us to wake up and say no, the more difficult it will be to reverse this stuff and get back to a constitutional republic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top