JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if mandatory service is a good idea. I am not much of a fan of the government mandating anything. What I am in favor of is letting anyone who wants to serve, serve. Those of you who had less than perfect eyesight, fallen arches, or like me, metal pins in my joints (I too fought to make the weight and was then denied because of my history of leg surgeries). Those who volunteer to serve should be given the opportunity to do so. We may not be suitable for front line infantry, but we can and should still be allowed to serve.

Lower the age range to 38-40, the service length to one year(out of boot/extended training) and I'm for it. If anything it'll give the gang-bangers better aim with which to eliminate each other.

I find the notion that service (military or civil) "guarantees citizenship" very intriguing. If you don't serve in some sort of capacity (military or civil) you are a civilian, free to live your life unmolested in happiness, relative protection, prosperity according to your labors, and dignity and respect, but cannot vote. You serve (military or civil) you are become a citizen and are free just like a civilian (after your term of service) and earn your franchise to vote to have a say in how things are run. Either way, its a free choice to make.

Think about it, if you serve you will be less likely to vote like a schmuck to tear down everyone else to your benefit like so many sleazy ploiticans and constituents do today, because you stepped up to serve and purchase your franchise by laying down your life with a term of real service.

This in no way means I think less of anyone who has never (nor is inclined to) serve!! You are ALL equally worthless in my eyes. :D

I find the notion that service (military or civil) "guarantees citizenship" very intriguing. If you don't serve in some sort of capacity (military or civil) you are a civilian, free to live your life unmolested in happiness, relative protection, prosperity according to your labors, and dignity and respect, but cannot vote. You serve (military or civil) you are become a citizen and are free just like a civilian (after your term of service) and earn your franchise to vote to have a say in how things are run. Either way, its a free choice to make.

Yeah.. Watch, or better yet read Starship Troopers. Same idea. Though you might change your mind.

Nice job of simplifying things in your example.

1. the Swiss aren't out there playing world policeman and starting wars which their citizens will then have to die for. Please tell me the last war Switzerland has participated in. Let me help you since I know you won't bother looking it up, 1815.

2. Israel is at a constant state of alert and the second they relax their forces they will be invaded from all sides. In other words they have no choice every able bodied Israeli is needed to defend their country.

3rd point, every draft in the last 100 years was started by a Democrat! I wasn't born as a tool for my government. I chose not to allow my government to make life and death choices for me. Which this legislation and the draft I have no choice. Our system of military service works, leave it the way it is.

In situations where the draft has been used over the last 100 years for the most part the poor have been the ones that have done the fighting and dieing the rich and powerful had outs for their kids if they didn't wish to serve.

Yes and if we have an all volunteer army, like our current one, then we have a more equal distribution of the wealth demographic? Heck no! The last draft we had ended in the early 70's (VietNam) and for the last 3 years of it was driven by a lottery based on your birthday that was actually televised (talk about your reality tv).

Also, this national serivce bill is not just for military service. The experience of any such program will be highly subjective based on the character of the person and the particular program they end up in, but if it can inspire some, show others that they can make a difference, that there is more to life than video games, and that they are capable of doing things than I think its worth a shot. The extended childhood of many of our kids may not be the best thing.

I am not sure what form of government this would be compatible with, but it doesn't seem consistent with our free republic. Something like this would be another step in the wrong direction! The government is meant to be a servant, not a master.

I don't like it a bit. The government needs to be brought down a few notches in my opinion. This is a free country, or it is supposed to be at least!

Well you do have a valid point it is a free country but those that our keeping free should not carry the burden alone and some by laying down their lives which is thinning out the population brave leaving us with a bunch of MTV pot smoking party punks is only gonna add to the decline of the western civilization . Once all of the better part of our country has become the minority who is gonna defend it? Joe pot or some air head off a girls gone wild video? your future will be in their hands and they will just hand it over to the Chinese or WHO EVER can brain wash their simple minds.

Everyone should do their part to serve their county. Why should it be the just the burden of those who are willing to serve and defend . Freedom is not free and and was bought by blood so it should be earned so to be appreciated. If fighting is against ones beliefs there are plenty of other services to serve out country besides the cowards only get in the way let them handle relief aids and clean ups.

OR at least get a job rather than stealing stereos and getting baked all day watching MTV or doing meth or smoking crack

BUT i do understand and know why it should not be mandatory and honestly even though this is the way i feel about it does not make it right but it does not make it wrong either there is 2 sides to this issue both with valid points and it were to come to a vote i would not vote yes or no as it is a decision that is up to the generation living it to make.

Yet another political scare thread. Is this northwestfirearms.com or northwest-just-post-any-political-spam-in-your-inbox.com?

Bills like this have been introduced many times in the last decade, and they never go anywhere. I don't disagree with the intent because politicians maybe less likely to involve us in foreign adventures if their own kids were on the firing line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_the_United_States#Conscription_controversies_since_2003

And re Obama's desire for 'private army' based a 20 second excerpt of a 2008 speech on Youtube...

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/07/obamas_civilian_national_secur.html said:
Senator Obama was nearly 17 minutes into his July 2 speech (yet another one where naming Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was required) in Colorado Springs, Colorado when he deviated from his pre-released script and performed without the teleprompter net saying,

"We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." (emphasis added)

The immediate context for that amazing statement was a preview of parts of his plan to vastly expand community service opportunities for Americans of nearly all ages. He said,

"People of all ages, stations, and skills will be asked to serve."

The range of his community service initiatives was outlined in an earlier American Thinker article. In his campaign document entitled "The Blueprint for Change: Barack Obama's Plan For America," Obama's "Service" section runs a close second to "Education" in complexity.

Yet another political scare thread. Is this northwestfirearms.com or northwest-just-post-any-political-spam-in-your-inbox.com?

Bills like this have been introduced many times in the last decade, and they never go anywhere. I don't disagree with the intent because politicians maybe less likely to involve us in foreign adventures if their own kids were on the firing line.

Conscription in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And re Obama's desire for 'private army' based a 20 second excerpt of a 2008 speech on Youtube...
Originally Posted by American Thinker: Obama's Civilian National Security Force
Senator Obama was nearly 17 minutes into his July 2 speech (yet another one where naming Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was required) in Colorado Springs, Colorado when he deviated from his pre-released script and performed without the teleprompter net saying,

"We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." (emphasis added)

The immediate context for that amazing statement was a preview of parts of his plan to vastly expand community service opportunities for Americans of nearly all ages. He said,

"People of all ages, stations, and skills will be asked to serve."

The range of his community service initiatives was outlined in an earlier American Thinker article. In his campaign document entitled "The Blueprint for Change: Barack Obama's Plan For America," Obama's "Service" section runs a close second to "Education" in complexity.

:s0114::s0112::s0114:

Regardless of what is really happening I'm confused by you rebuttal. So you're say your saying that Obama doesn't want a Civilian Conservation Corp.. by posting irrefutable proof that he said he does? :s0131:

:s0114::s0112::s0114:

I have to say this is a new tactic for the apologists, I think you should do more of this tactic, it saves me time proving you guys wrong! :p

Regardless of what is really happening I'm confused by you rebuttal. So you're say your saying that Obama doesn't want a Civilian Conservation Corp.. by posting irrefutable proof that he said he does?

It's pretty straightforward. The original claim was:

+1 Obama has been very open about wanting his own private army outside the military chain of command.

and the YouTube link posted claims that Obama wants to create a 'security force' based on that speech.

The reality, as posted in that article from a conservative site, is that Obama wants to expand volunteer opportunities for national service. Last time I checked AmeriCorps, USA Freedom Corps, YouthBuild and the Senior Corps weren't private armies.

Just my opinion but I like the Idea, I love this country and I feel if you do also you should support and protect it.... If you want to live in a here and take advantage of the wonderful land and freedoms we have I think everyone should do a two year term of service of some kind....

Just my opinion but I like the Idea, I love this country and I feel if you do also you should support and protect it.... If you want to live in a here and take advantage of the wonderful land and freedoms we have I think everyone should do a two year term of service of some kind....

Sounds like conscription to me...

Like Eldbillbo and i8asquirral, I think every able-bodied male owes something for living in this imperfect, but free country... at least more free than most places on earth. I am surprised at the overwhelmingly negative responses by commenting members. I'm wondering how many who feel strongly against mandatory universal service of some kind are veterans. Or perhaps this is a generational thing?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top