JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not on the forum a lot, and my brief search has not found any threads on my question... that is; what would it take to start a new initiative that would effectively reverse I-594? Having completely underestimated just how drunk on the punch Pugetropolis has become and having not taken up the fight with the level of passion and funding we should have, there is always next season. Just because they won this game, does not mean we let them win the war.

As I stated in a prior post, I think we owe a great deal of thanks to folks like Alan Gottlieb and a select core group for doing their best to rally everyone. I'm deeply disappointed by NRA's lack of attention and support on this... so much so, I am considering letting my membership lapse. This should have been one of their key fights and I'm still in a slow burn about this.

Does anyone know if there are plans to undo this mess and flush I-594 down the toilet?

I'm not on the forum a lot, and my brief search has not found any threads on my question... that is; what would it take to start a new initiative that would effectively reverse I-594? Having completely underestimated just how drunk on the punch Pugetropolis has become and having not taken up the fight with the level of passion and funding we should have, there is always next season. Just because they won this game, does not mean we let them win the war.

As I stated in a prior post, I think we owe a great deal of thanks to folks like Alan Gottlieb and a select core group for doing their best to rally everyone. I'm deeply disappointed by NRA's lack of attention and support on this... so much so, I am considering letting my membership lapse. This should have been one of their key fights and I'm still in a slow burn about this.

Does anyone know if there are plans to undo this mess and flush I-594 down the toilet?

There is zero chance you could win this with an initiative, unless you have a few million to spare. 594 outspent us 20 to 1.

We need to win this in the courts and legislature.

initiatives cost millions. not just to canvas for signatures, but also the campaign.

the most practical way to fight i-594 is in court or legislature.

start writing or calling your elected representatives.

I wrote a number of them, including many outside my district leading up to the Nov 4th vote. Most of the (D's) did not respond -- which was of little surprise and on some level just fine as I'm sure their bullbubblegum would have simply ruined an otherwise good day. A few of the (R's) response didn't exactly leave me with a high degree of confidence.

So we were clearly outspent. Are we saying that our side has no billionaire supporters who, like Bloomberg and his band of social progressive elitists, are willing to spend their money in support of an issue so fundamental to 2AR's? I would have expected the NRA to have taken a lead in rallying that core group... they did not... and the little they did was way too late. For many of us the NRA is our voice in this matter and I know they received a boost in funds from across the USA to help defend gun rights...a damn good boost post the SH school shooting. SO WHERE THE HELL WERE THEY? I'm in the process of writing a letter to Wayne LaPierre, James Porter and Chris Cox asking that very question. I would suggest everyone on this forum do the same. They need to hear just how pissed off we are about their lack of support.

Now that we've been sucker punched, I suspect a damn good many more of the pro gun base would get off their asses and do some heavy lifting in support of a "Flush I-594 Initiative". Maybe I'm wrong, but my hope is that I'm right.

Are we saying that our side has no billionaire supporters who, like Bloomberg and his band of social progressive elitists, are willing to spend their money in support of an issue so fundamental to 2AR's? .

Yes, that's exactly what we are saying. It's frustrating but true in WA for the most part.

The problem was the actual write-up of the law in the ballot book was a lie, and the commercials were lies, and 99.99% of the state doesn't bother to read more than the title on the ballot. In addition to that we had a pathetically low turnout of voters overall, and frankly, the gun owners in WA state didn't bother to figure out what they were agreeing to when half of them voted FOR 594.

We needed commercials, on prime time, telling people what 594 meant, and instead, we got NRA membership drives and bumper stickers being passed out by TWO full-time NRA reps.

91 was too much of a focus, while 594 was almost ignored by the Pro-2A PACs, until it was FAR, far too late.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I suspect that the NRA figured that that it would be cheaper and easier to get 594 thrown out in court than trying to outspend Bloonturd, Gates et all. Even if the NRA had come in with matching funds 594 would still have passed due to the lies the backers spread.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
WAC Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

There is a big difference between the one and the other. I'm not considering withdrawing support for our rights, just using it to support groups more interested in helping us here, now, where we need it, when we need it. The NRA apparently used our Washington State difficulties as a membership drive, apparently didn't follow through on what they said they would do, and apparently lied about how active they were. That appears to make it more difficult for me to give them money.

If it turns out I am wrong on all this, then I would reconsider my stance on donations. That said, I'm not considering it a reason to not be a member; the NRA still does a lot of good nationally, but they made a lot of promises for support against 594 and I have heard a lot of Washington NRA members saying they were not given notice of activities they were asking to be involved in.

There is a big difference between the one and the other. I'm not considering withdrawing support for our rights, just using it to support groups more interested in helping us here, now, where we need it, when we need it. The NRA apparently used our Washington State difficulties as a membership drive, apparently didn't follow through on what they said they would do, and apparently lied about how active they were. That appears to make it more difficult for me to give them money.

If it turns out I am wrong on all this, then I would reconsider my stance on donations. That said, I'm not considering it a reason to not be a member; the NRA still does a lot of good nationally, but they made a lot of promises for support against 594 and I have heard a lot of Washington NRA members saying they were not given notice of activities they were asking to be involved in.

Great points. I agree we still must support NRA and I will (though a little more begrudgingly mind you). But I do think it worthwhile that we all take a few minutes and let them know we're not happy about their lack of support on I-594... could have made the difference IMO.

Taku, I disagree a bit about them not being responsible for state level issues. If the states start falling, so goes the foundation and then the house not long after. They are our most powerful lobbying group and many of us (and those before us) have donated to help make them just that. We have financial power to counter the likes of Buttberg, Gates, etc. by shear numbers if we all step up a donate to the cause. I'm pretty sure NRA represents that pool of cash for the vast majority of us. As such, they must be at the point of the spear. Personally, I think what we really need is another Charlton Heston... sighhh.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews