JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background check initiative a success or failure in Washington State?

In November 2014, Washington voters passed Initiative 594 after proponents spent more than $10 million to promote it, but yesterday KING 5 News and the Northwest News Network broke the news: after more than a year, the law accounted for only 50 blocked sales.

<broken link removed>

Background check initiative a success or failure in Washington State?

In November 2014, Washington voters passed Initiative 594 after proponents spent more than $10 million to promote it, but yesterday KING 5 News and the Northwest News Network broke the news: after more than a year, the law accounted for only 50 blocked sales.

<broken link removed>
Yes I saw this on the news last night. I have always thought it odd that for all the numbers they say were felons, there are almost never any prosecutions.

It was a RESOUNDING SUCCESS! . . . Why? . . . Because it gave the anti-2nd amendment crowd a new starting point for the next onslaught against your rights!!!!!!

Sheldon

Oh, before the ban we are going to require that all of those dangerous semi-autos be registered. That way when we catch one of you freedom loving patriots with one we can throw the new book of laws we invented at you and take all of your rights one person at a time.

Since firearm and ammo taxes worked so well in Seattle (worked well to drive out FFL dealers that is) we are going to expand that scheme State wide. For the children.

I see that California's beloved Greaseball Newsome liked that San Francisco video tape law shut down that city's only gun store, so he wants that to go state wide. That and ammo background checks plus registration. Look out Pacific Northwest!

Two questions: One, what's our plan to fight this damn thing? Two, if/when we get it struck down/repealed, how do we take the offensive?

The plan is to get as many new firearm owners to join our side. Obama and Hillary have helped greatly with this. If enough lawabiding new gun owners get unnecessarily delayed (sometimes for months here in Oregon) or denied by OSP even if they pass NICS it will start some waves. Then hold up the gun control paradises of California, Chicago, DC and the Northeast cost as examples of how these stupid laws don't work. Ask the PNW "is this really where we want to be headed?"

Going on the offensive would include getting laws on paper for Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground. Include your vehicle in the Castle Doctrine. Oregon needs the Washington law that makes the DA pay for your defense if you are found not guilty due to self defense. That would stop many malicious prosecution before they start.

Trayvon/Zimmerman and the Hands up Don't shoot knuckleheads have perverted the definition of Stand Your Ground, so we need a new name for Personal Protection Outside the Home.

The plan is to get as many new firearm owners to join our side. Obama and Hillary have helped greatly with this. If enough lawabiding new gun owners get unnecessarily delayed (sometimes for months here in Oregon) or denied by OSP even if they pass NICS it will start some waves. Then hold up the gun control paradises of California, Chicago, DC and the Northeast cost as examples of how these stupid laws don't work. Ask the PNW "is this really where we want to be headed?"

Going on the offensive would include getting laws on paper for Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground. Include your vehicle in the Castle Doctrine. Oregon needs the Washington law that makes the DA pay for your defense if you are found not guilty due to self defense. That would stop many malicious prosecution before they start.

Trayvon/Zimmerman and the Hands up Don't shoot knuckleheads have perverted the definition of Stand Your Ground, so we need a new name for Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nick, you are expecting a lot from a crowd here in Washington that just gave the Democrat Primary caucus to Bernie Sanders. Hillary was really going left wing rhetoric on gun control, and I don't trust her as far as I can spit, but I think she had a lot of hot air trying to win the hearts and minds of Bernie zealots. And the facts just do not matter to the Democrats on a good day. These measures you speak of just won't happen until there is a majority of conservatives elected to Olympia and to city / county government seats along the I-5 corridor. The same can be said of Oregon.

Two questions: One, what's our plan to fight this damn thing? Two, if/when we get it struck down/repealed, how do we take the offensive?

What's our plan? Where have you been? SAF and several other entities and people filed a federal lawsuit against 594. It was dismissed, and the dismissal was immediately appealed to the 9th Circuit on standing grounds.

Item #2: "Our" plan whether some dislike it or not, is to elect a Republican-controlled Legislature and Republican governor. Period. Now, that's going to take some motivation to actually V-O-T-E (594 passed when only about half of the state's voters returned ballots; maybe some of our guys voted for the rotten thing and others just didn't vote..."oh, it's just soooooo much of a bother; I'd rather complain on the Internet forums under my nickname.." You guys know what I'm talking about.)

No diatribe about how you can't vote for an "R" unless he/she agrees with you 100% of the time. If you can agree with someone 80% of the time, that is enough and here's why: With Republicans in charge (whether you like them or not) they name the committee heads, they decide which bills get heard, and they can in 2017 AMEND THE LAW or repeal it entirely.

You've got six months to learn who is running IN YOUR DISTRICT. Introduce yourself to the candidates. Help get the "R" elected. Doorbell, put up a yard sign, hold a neighborhood meeting and invite that person. Make sure they understand the importance of this issue to you and everyone you know who will vote.

After you help get them elected, make sure their staff knows your name so they answer the phone.

Thus endeth the lecture. I'm not a lobbyist. I'm a journalist. And I've watched activism work for many a voting cycle. ;)

Dave
You're dreaming . . . The truth is, elected republicans couldn't care less about infringing the 2nd Amendment . . . AS LONG AS THEY DON"T HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT!!!!!!!

Sheldon

Dave
You're dreaming . . . The truth is, elected republicans couldn't care less about infringing the 2nd Amendment . . . AS LONG AS THEY DON"T HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT!!!!!!!

Sheldon

And you vote for...which party again?
I know people on both sides of the aisle. I know a handful of Dems who are staunch 2A people and it gets them angst from their own party. Alas, there are Dems who are absolutely committed to destroying the 2A. They're fanatics about it.

I know a lot of Repubs who are absolutely 2A people. They're not really interested in infringing on RKBA. I know some squishy Repubs who are probably RINOs

Blanket statements like that don't make it with me at all.

Dave
You are overlooking the fact that power and authority over the people is the ultimate diver of politicians of all STRIPES. (Word chosen carefully to describe the member of the animal kingdom that best exemplifies politicians.!!)

Sheldon

If you can agree with someone 80% of the time, that is enough

How about when it is only 20%?

Sorry, I'm done with supporting people who want to enslave me, no matter what party label is behind their name. Good luck getting an R legislator and governor. You'll need it.

My plan is to ignore the law at every opportunity. If they have 50 denials and zero prosecutions, that is proof the law is toothless and that the danger from ignoring it is zilch. The best way to get rid of a bad law is mass noncompliance. That is for example, how homeschooling became established in this country.

My other plan is to get more D gun owners on board. Arm everybody!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top