JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to firearms and just recently started my first AR15 build, dubbed "Project Muttley." I am nearly finished with this project, the only parts I need are barrel, hand guard, and buttstock. As I was researching barrels I got the itch to start another project, an AR Pistol in 5.56.

I've read several articles about the rules surrounding AR pistols but I may be more confused now. My question is this: can I build both guns at the same time, or do I have to finish the rifle build before I purchase certain parts for the pistol build? I'm assuming the receivers are all safe to purchase, but can I have a short barrel or pistol buffer tube while my rifle build is in its current state?

What is the best way to go about this?

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread. Please move as appropriate.

My understanding is that you're only likely to raise eyebrows if you had a rifle lower only (lower with a rifle buffer tube on it) and a pistol upper or a pistol and rifle upper. This might make it look like you intended to build an SBR. If you have all or most of the parts for both, then it's pretty obvious what you're doing. I am neither qualified nor inclined to offer legal advice, but you can be sure that I always have an opinion. ;)

I second the advice too store them seperately. Just to be on the safe side, buy the lower and pistol buffer before buying the upper. That way it is clear yu are building a rifle out of one set of parts, and a pistol out of the other set of parts.

To be on the safe side of what? Who is coming and checking?

Either you have a legal use or you don't........... I would not have anything laying around that could ONLY be made into illegal configurations though.

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't expect any inspections, but I also don't want to overlook something that could be a major issue. I know of some areas where the legal stance is more along the lines of "if there is an illegal use for an item, then it is illegal regardless if there is also a legal use."

I'll most likely be picking up another set of receivers shortly. I'll just take my time completing them and save the barrel for last.

And recall, the most Important Advise of All:

1. "Internet Advise, is worth Exactly what you Paid for it".

2. "None of us, will come and visit you, if you are in the Grey Bar Hotel".

... So do more research, before you buy the short barrel... Once it is in your possession, ALL your QUESTIONS should be Resolved in Your MIND, not mine... Or Timmy's or Bart's...

Hope that helps,

philip

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews