JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased a box of 95 gr Berger VLD Hunting Bullets for my .243. It's an older Sako Forester with the Bofors bbl with thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots dead-on. Problem, these Bergers are very looong and the box says 1:9 Minimum twist. The ol'e Sako is a 1:10...will these bullets shoot and make me happy or should I trade them off? 95 grain NosPars will shoot through the same hole all day. I would hesitate to try them out and be disappointed and trade value of a full box should be better than opened box.

Thoughts and opinions please
T

You'll have to try them and see. The length and profile of the bullet will determine the twist needed to stabilize.

Ive got two savage .223 bolt actions with a 1/9 twist that shoot 77gr SMKs and 77gr nosler cc Bullets into one hole with the right loads.

The answer is "depends".

Bullet manufacturers put those twist rates on their packaging as recommendations.

Many factors play into bullet stabilization, twist rates is one of them. Velocity and barrel length are two others.

A 8" barrel with a 1/12 twist will act differently than a 24" barrel with the same rate. Same goes for a bullet going 2000 FPS vs one going 3000 FPS in the exact barrel set up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top