JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I been reloading so long I have about two 50 cal ammo boxes of ammo for which I have no firearm to use it in. I figure one day I might come across something that uses some of the ammo. And if not the kid can figure out what to do with it.

You can buy me ammo. I'll take more 5.56, 9mm, .308 and .300WM. Let me know when you want the address to ship it to.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it. I guess trading and swapping ammo around might be doable, but the big question being... WHY and what do you gain by potentially creating more work, hassle and cost for yourself? If you happen to end up with something later (when you are ready to buy) than you're "thinking" about getting now... know what I mean?

Taking a moment to be realistic, the main purpose of a handgun is personal or public defense. To that end, you want to find and stock the best ammo suited to your purpose which may take a little time... and a bit of trial and error... to settle in on what exactly your chosen handgun prefers to eat. The last thing you want is to end up with piles of ammo that isn't exactly the right brand, type or bullet weight best suited for your particular handgun.

The other argument being... why delay a handgun purchase in favor of spending your handgun savings on ammo now... for a handgun you man or may not actually be purchasing later?

I would save every penny I could and put the horse in front of the cart where it belongs. Worry about feeding it once you have it.

I relayed your question to a buddy of mine, Beta A'Dourke. Perhaps you have seen him dancing on a countertop at your local diner? Anyways he said heck yes you should buy ammo but don't buy any guns. He recommended you drop off all the ammo you buy at the nearest ATF branch. He said they are going to need all the ammo they can get before they start collecting our guns.

I have been guilty of buying reloading dies for a caliber I don't have (yet).
I have bought holsters for guns I don't own (yet).
I have bought scopes and iron sights for guns I don't own (yet).
I have bought brass for a caliber I don't own (yet).
I have bought bullets for a caliber I don't own (yet).

Ammo? Can't say I actually walked into a retail store and bought ammo for a gun I don't own, but I sure "ended up" with some along the way, and hung onto it.

With the cost of and availability of store bought ammo being what it is nowadays...I wouldn't.

I would however :
Research what firearm suits your needs....and buy that...along with the ammo to go with that firearm.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR