JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"if it spins use oil, if it slides use grease"

don't worry not another "whats the best lube" thread....

Ive used oil for year but have switched to grease on the rails and like it better because it stays put. I bought a very small syringe of TW25B grease which should probably last me a while but when I went to look at a larger supply i was like wow thats pretty steep. I don't mind spending it if I have to but I was wondering if, like oil... just about anything will work. (for oil I use Marvel Mystery oil)

so my question is, is there a bulk or cheaper grease equivalent to TW25B grease?

This stuff or this (both Lubriplate products) are recommended by folks at SigForum for internals and rails as described in this thread (happy reading). For both products, I've found the above links to be the cheapest sources and you can get the latter at local NAPA stores.

I use this from Walmart $8.99. Available at Amazon too.

White flouropolymer grease. I use it on my Ruger, my Glock, and on my AR too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Gun-Grease/48840158

aeec708c-cf9b-4687-8479-a0306d8d5b60_1.408b0589d0229eff419d57af907ed3ed.jpg

All same-same.

Pay yer $5 and have a lifetime supply of lube. I mean, if a machine operating at 2500 rpm can take all of it, why not a firearm operating much slower? Compare and contrast a care engine with a firearm. Mobile one will work on a formula 1 car, why do we need to spend $20 (or $8.83 for 1 ounce) for much less?

Same - Same

Watching out of curiosity - I have a small tube of TW25B myself to use on AR builds - even that little tube is going to last quite a while

yeah, I was thinking I might be overthinking this because it really doesn't take much that 1.5oz tube I have will last a while but it always feels better to be well stocked with what you need.

yeah, I was thinking I might be overthinking this because it really doesn't take much that 1.5oz tube I have will last a while but it always feels better to be well stocked with what you need.

I agree - and man, that stuff is ridiculously expensive. I'll be curious to see if anyone suggests a less expensive alternative.

I agree - and man, that stuff is ridiculously expensive. I'll be curious to see if anyone suggests a less expensive alternative.
well, they did...

I'm probably going to try the lubriplate linked above $15 for 15oz at Midwayusa. Its a gun grease so I don't see how I could go wrong. I just think that TW25B grease is too proud of their product to support them its like 4x the cost, for grease.

It's about arming only those with the means to afford those sorts of products, it's all politics man. LoL

I've been curious about this. I am unsure what the effect of lower end greases will do to the finish of a firearm, so I haven't just found a low cost alternative.

well, they did...

I'm probably going to try the lubriplate linked above $15 for 15oz at Midwayusa. Its a gun grease so I don't see how I could go wrong. I just think that TW25B grease is too proud of their product to support them its like 4x the cost, for grease.
Or go to the local distributor (use dealer finder) and grab some other goodies as well.
Spray Lube "A" is a great product, for example.
630AA if you have a jet pump
EMB if you have electric motor bearings to lube

The list goes on.

It's about arming only those with the means to afford those sorts of products, it's all politics man. LoL

I've been curious about this. I am unsure what the effect of lower end greases will do to the finish of a firearm, so I haven't just found a low cost alternative.

Same here, thats why I was asking here...

When a mfg tells you to only use a certain product but its 8x the cost of the other brands I get suspicious of marketing hype. Oil and grease technology has been around too long and there are plenty of options that are all moslty identical. My new 1911 tells me TW25B is the "only" grease they tested and approve to not stain their proprietary finish, so I got concerned... But I think its all marketing hype to make you feel you have something notable better than their competition.

Same here, thats why I was asking here...

When a mfg tells you to only use a certain product but its 8x the cost of the other brands I get suspicious of marketing hype. Oil and grease technology has been around too long and there are plenty of options that are all moslty identical. My new 1911 tells me TW25B is the "only" grease they tested and approve to not stain their proprietary finish, so I got concerned... But I think its all marketing hype to make you feel you have something notable better than their competition.

Yeah, anyone that pushes one particular product as the great salvation makes me think there's something else to their claims. I know there are plenty of relationships with manufacturers, website owners, YouTube stars, gun review writers, etc., that benefit financially from pushing a particular item. I'm much more interested in reviews by actual users. When I bought the TW25B, it was pretty clear it was the preferred choice among AR builders. As for switching to something else, I'm open, but want too get some good feedback from folks whose pockets aren't lined with corporate kickbacks. I'll be curious to see how that Lubriplate works out.

Yeah, anyone that pushes one particular product as the great salvation makes me think there's something else to their claims. I know there are plenty of relationships with manufacturers, website owners, YouTube stars, gun review writers, etc., that benefit financially from pushing a particular item. I'm much more interested in reviews by actual users. When I bought the TW25B, it was pretty clear it was the preferred choice among AR builders. As for switching to something else, I'm open, but want too get some good feedback from folks whose pockets aren't lined with corporate kickbacks. I'll be curious to see how that Lubriplate works out.
Indeed. It's hard to find an impartial assessment in this day and age. Here's an entertaining guy that tears stuff apart and stuff.. skip to 7:30 for what matters here

Last Edited:
Something to think about in your quest for KY gel for firearms.
Grease and oil can freeze and can lock up firing pins and cause parts to move none, to very slow, so should be used sparingly, if at all, when hunting frozen ground. Back in the day we had a graphite lube that came in a mini tube smaller than the old Blistex. Though messy to the touch, a barely perceptible thin film was all I ever used on a bolt and firing pin in the winter. I think gone now as I haven't found it in years. Most guns today need very little oil or lube to operate, and in some instance can cause problems.
For instance, should you have a violent round with long tapered case, don't lube or oil the chamber as the dry metal to metal fit is needed to assist the grip upon firing to help hold the brass from moving back wards. If you reload, you will get more loads out of your brass due to less stretch.
Rust prevention is of greater concern during inclement weather.
Marvel Mystery oil and Kroil are wonderful penitrators however a little goes a long way as a lube and definitely keep it off your wood making a needle oiler most handy. Beyond loosing bolts and screws, run a soaked rag through a barrel with lead or copper claddings and let sit. They will penetrate underneath the fouling's and lift, so a brass brush can scrub them off.
Marvel Mystery Oil also the best thing you can use (in my opine) for air tools, putting a drop in the air hose fitting now and then. Thus done, in 40 years has not ruined any gaskets or O rings contained within them.

I'm inclined to believe the high tech silicone based stuff may be a better choice in the frozen nasty weather for todays era. I've read the labels of some that profess to include rust preventatives.

Though I haven't tried it on my guns, I use a dry silicon spray (almost powdery) to lube the bushings and gears on my old table saw. Sawdust does not attract or stick to it and jamb it up like wet sprays, oil, or wax based lubes do. Left dry, the old rough aluminum gears and worn bushings can be a b1tch to turn.

Something to think about in your quest for KY gel for firearms.
Grease and oil can freeze and can lock up firing pins and cause parts to move none, to very slow, so should be used sparingly, if at all, when hunting frozen ground. Back in the day we had a graphite lube that came in a mini tube smaller than the old Blistex. Though messy to the touch, a barely perceptible thin film was all I ever used on a bolt and firing pin in the winter. I think gone now as I haven't found it in years. Most guns today need very little oil or lube to operate, and in some instance can cause problems.
For instance, should you have a violent round with long tapered case, don't lube or oil the chamber as the dry metal to metal fit is needed to assist the grip upon firing to help hold the brass from moving back wards. If you reload, you will get more loads out of your brass due to less stretch.
Rust prevention is of greater concern during inclement weather.
Marvel Mystery oil and Kroil are wonderful penitrators however a little goes a long way as a lube and definitely keep it off your wood making a needle oiler most handy. Beyond loosing bolts and screws, run a soaked rag through a barrel with lead or copper claddings and let sit. They will penetrate underneath the fouling's and lift, so a brass brush can scrub them off.
Marvel Mystery Oil also the best thing you can use (in my opine) for air tools, putting a drop in the air hose fitting now and then. Thus done, in 40 years has not ruined any gaskets or O rings contained within them.

I'm inclined to believe the high tech silicone based stuff may be a better choice in the frozen nasty weather for todays era. I've read the labels of some that profess to include rust preventatives.

Though I haven't tried it on my guns, I use a dry silicon spray (almost powdery) to lube the bushings and gears on my old table saw. Sawdust does not attract or stick to it and jamb it up like wet sprays, oil, or wax based lubes do. Left dry, the old rough aluminum gears and worn bushings can be a b1tch to turn.
I don't know but I think it was the Korean conflict that opened our eyes on the freezing/cold lube thing.. and when I lived in MT, great care was given rifles as to "oiling" (really, lack thereof and using graphite) so you didn't have an equipment failure.
In AK, the sourdoughs leave their above prepped rifle out on the porch so condensation doesn't freeze it up. If it's a handgun kept under your parka next to your body it's less of an issue.

Mobil 1 synthetic 16 oz. can on Amazon for $12.60. Works better than Lubriplate
in my M1 and M1A rifles. Synthetic grease works over a much lower and higher temps.;)

Does Mobil 1 grease meet the mil-spec that the Army used?

No grease manufacturer tests their product to the old Army standard today. All manufacturers now use the accepted washout standard ASTM-D-1264. This test is much more harsh than the Mil-G-46003 test used by the Army.

ASTM D 1264ASTM-D-1264, known as water washout, was modified to include synthetic sea water. While there are various lubricant bearing tests for corrosion, none measures a lubricant's resistance to sea water. It is expected to combine corrosion and washout measurements in this test. The washout test is important for military applications. The ability of the grease to remain in place will ensure sufficient lubrication, as well as corrosion protection in all weather conditions.
1. An ABEC 6204 bearing is packed with four grams of grease.
2. The bearing is spun at 600 RPM and either 100F or 175F water is sprayed onto the bearing at a rate of 300 ml per minute.
3. The percent of grease lost is the rating number.

If you look at the rating for the Mobil 1 grease to the washout test. ASTMD1264, only 6% of the grease was lost during the test @ 175F!. You will never operate your M1 Garand in an environment that will wash off the grease. Mobil 1 synthetic grease meets and exceeds the requirements of Mil-G-46003. The Mobil 1 grease has a very high dropping point (melting point) of 550F. For the M1 shooter this means the grease will stay where we put it.

Mobil 1 synthetic grease also exceeds lubriplate 130A in wear testing making it the clear winner. Mobil 1 grease is available at all major auto supply stores and is very cost effective.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top