Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lithium grease

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by quesodilla, Dec 28, 2012.

1. quesodilla

quesodilla PDX Active Member

I was wondering if anyone else has ever put lithium grease on a slide of a semi auto pistol?
    I looked at some reviews on a pistol before I bought it and one of the downside comments was a
    sticky slide during the break in period. This is in regard to a Sig 1911-22.
    I bought it yesterday, broke it down this morning before going shooting and put some lith ease on the slide parts. The gun performed awesome. It may have done just as well without the grease but I wanted to give it a try. I think I am going back out tommorrow.

2. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I use TL-25...I would have to look at the tube to tell you what is in it, but it is a white grease, and is fantastic on ALL firearms. I'll check in the morning and get back.

3. Jester316

Jester316 Beaverton Member

I have some on my Sig Pro 2022 and my AR15. Grease stays put and won't run off the parts you put it on. I store almost all my guns in a vertical position, so if I use oil it almost always runs off and doesn't do it's job.

Sig Sauer recommends grease for their pistol slide rails.

4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Moses Lake, WA Active Member

I've used the lithium grease for many things, including my guns. My semi-auto pistols love it almost as much as my lathe and mill do.

Pops

5. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I started another thread about grease in another room a while back. Although I have a jar of lithium grease, I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease exclusively now for all my firearms.

6. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

What are the advantages of one over the other?

7. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Mobil 1 synthetic is what I use. I grease semi auto rifles and pistols. Military tests grease for wash out, temperature extremes , ect.
    Mobil 1 proves superior to most all other grease. It is a lot cheaper than the little 1 once of gun grease.
    I bought a big tube at the automotive store for $ 9.00 it will last a lifetime.

Ironbar and (deleted member) like this.
  8. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

White lithium grease is great stuff, with a tremendous lifetime. It doesn't have the high coking temperature of a synthetic oil, but it's the best choice for lower-temp, high-wear areas like the frame rails.

I use almost no lube at all - it's way too easy to use way too much - but for me it's lithium grease on the rails and Royal Purple (it's like Mobil1) everywhere else.

9. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

What Ron said.

(Very well said BTW!)