JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking for a new, cheaper gun grease than Tetra Grease, which I like but don't like paying for. I prefer to grease the wear spots on my autos, rather than oil, being careful to keep any grease away from parts which should be completely dry, like the firing pin and the trigger safety plunger. Ya don't want any stiction with those!

I grabbed an 11oz spray can of "Liquid Wrench Chain Lube" ($4.99) from the auto section of Fred Meyer because it contained Moly and claimed to be a penetrating liquid which evaporated into grease, designed for motorcycle chains and other tight parts. Basically, it is a grease that spreads itself out into a very thin, slightly sticky layer. Darned if it did not do exactly that!

I have a fine semi-old auto that had an experimental black finish which unfortunately does wear off to the bare steel in places of friction, inside and outside, not like the modern Tenifer or Melanite finishes used today. This makes it easy to see and understand where the gun rubs itself raw, and why I like to grease it. I squirted a bit of the chain lube into a bottle cap, and spread the liquid thinly with a q-tip exactly where I wanted it, any place that I saw wear. No bad odor or color. It flowed easily and did seem to spread willingly. After ten minutes it shrunk down to a very thin and tenacious layer of slippery grease---perfect! I reassembled the gun and racked the slide twenty times, and there was no excess ooze anywhere.

I liked the inside results so well that I coated the whole exterior, minus the grips, because rust-proofing this gun is a serious issue. Half a dozen paper towels later I had scrubbed off all obvious traces of the evaporated grease, yet the black finish was dulled a bit by an exceedingly thin layer of persistant grease---perfect! It was tempting to treat the barrel bore just to get some Moly embedded in the rifling, but it would have taken fifty patches to get the stuff out of the bore. It would be great for long-term storage however; better than cosmoline I presume. This seems to be a great gun grease, and it is sure inexpensive.........................elsullo :s0155:

Most motorcycle chain lube comes with a lot of solvent that lets it get down into nooks and crannies, then dries out into a clingy grease. I use it for a lot of stuff I don't want to disassemble to lube.

Also, for the reloaders out there, "Chain wax" brand dries into what looks, feels and smells like Lee Liquid Alox (Moose Snot). I've never tried it, but I'm sure someone out there is willing to give it a go and report back.

You guys seem to be behind the curve on lubricants. I use lubriplate SFL-0 grease and FMO AW-350 oil on both my auto pistols and rifles. It comes as a kit with the grease in a syringe and a bottle of oil from www.Lubri-Kit.com The grease is light and doesn't interfere with cycling on my AR or 1911 and is food safe. It lasts without oxidizing like lithium grease does. The oil has excellent corrosion protection and resists acids that can come from my sweaty body when carrying on a daily basis. It is white and wont stain my clothes either. Of all the brands I have tried over the years I like it the best.
There is a really good bearing grease that I found and is slicker than snot but it is not rated nontoxic so I stick the the friendlier lubrikit stuff since I tend to get it on my hands when applying.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top