JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't have TV,just webbernetter You tuber and finding movies. So I subscribe to Long Range Shooters of Utah. Kinda like T. rex good long range stuff
So the guy goes to the shot show and talks to John Kreiger? about barrels,cleaning and break in. Then he talks to George Gardner from GA Precision on the same topics
Very interesting information that isn't exactly what I have heard from most "smarter" gun folks about break in and how many rounds before cleaning
500????? Yep that's the story
Hey worth the ten minutes or so on the first and I'll finish watching the half hour one in a it
Have fun

Here's the index to the Krieger video if you want to watch just specific parts:
upload_2017-1-25_21-30-58.png

Clean it when it's dirty, period.
Nobody who's ever told me to clean every X shots during "break in" could cite a study or statistics to support their opinion. Usually it was some famous guy said you should do this. Occasionally it was the factory says you should do this, which I suppose is more compelling, but for those of us of the "why" bent, there was never a satisfying answer. My favorite .22 rifle shoots best when I don't clean it. So I seldom do anymore. It has not rusted yet.

I do know that if I do not clean my guns ... My dad would come back and give me "What for!"
Not to forget any number of NCO's who might take displeasure at the state of my rifle.. :eek:

I say clean it after you shoot it ... and not worry about any "Break in "period.
No real reason ... Just my experience and saying what works for me.
Andy

Well now that 500 rounds thing may be true for a custom barrel that has already been lapped. But for the rest of the new barrels I think the traditional break-in is justified. If nothing else it does no harm. And Pappy used to say:

"If you can't afford to lose, you can't afford to gamble.

and

"Never be too proud to hedge your bets!"

I have always used a 40-round initial break-in protocol. It goes remarkably quickly with just a little forethought.

Have a partner with two cleaning rods (single piece - no jointeds!) . One with a copper brush and one with a patch holder and wet patches. Have a drip or squirt bottle of bore cleaner handy to clean the brush after each cleaning. One guy shoots and clears/safes the rifle. The other guy cleans after the requisite shots - three brush passes and one patched pass through and back. Goes remarkably quickly. The whole procedure takes about 10 minutes.

Teamwork makes the impossible simple. - Old Ranger Saying

1 round x 10 times, cleaning between rounds
2 rounds x 5 times cleaning between strings
5 rounds x 2 times "
10 rounds x 1 time "

Simple and quick. At worst it certainly does no harm. It's cheap insurance.

I purchased a Kreiger 20 inch AR 'Service Rifle' barrel a few years ago.
For High Power rifle 'across the course' matches.
I followed the manufacturer's break in procedures. 1 shot and clean times 5.
3 shots and clean 5 times. 5 shots and clean 5 times. This Kreiger is the
most exspensive barrel I have ever purchased. It is also the most accurate
barrel I have ever owned. With the money I spent I figure I can put some
time in on break in. Who knows if the barrel would of shot the same
without there break in procedure? I am very pleased with how well
this barrel shoots. I use a compact 2X7 scope bolted on to the carry
handle to do load testing. 100 yard 5-shot groups of 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.:rolleyes:
DSC00096.JPG

5 rounds x 2 times "
10 rounds x 1 time "

This is similar to what is prescribed in the owners manual of the PTR-91 I purchased last December although they describe this as a break-in for the rifle as a whole and not just the barrel.

They call out.....
1 shot/clean for the first 10 rounds.
10-20 shots/clean for the next 200-300 rounds.

E

Well now that 500 rounds thing may be true for a custom barrel that has already been lapped. But for the rest of the new barrels I think the traditional break-in is justified. If nothing else it does no harm. And Pappy used to say:

and

I have always used a 40-round initial break-in protocol. It goes remarkably quickly with just a little forethought.

Have a partner with two cleaning rods (single piece - no jointeds!) . One with a copper brush and one with a patch holder and wet patches. Have a drip or squirt bottle of bore cleaner handy to clean the brush after each cleaning. One guy shoots and clears/safes the rifle. The other guy cleans after the requisite shots - three brush passes and one patched pass through and back. Goes remarkably quickly. The whole procedure takes about 10 minutes.

5 rounds x 2 times "
10 rounds x 1 time "

I've never been given an answer as to what that is supposed to accomplish? Fire lapping using soft copper jacketed bullets is futile. I've seen abrasive coated bullets kike Tubbs Final Finish that are supposed to be fired in sequence with varying levels of abrasive to remove burrs from the barrel. Without something, it just seems that a burr becomes a spot to collect copper fowling otherwise.

A lot of knowledgeable shooters know how to properly clean a rifle. What happens to the less- knowledgeable guy who takes his metal cleaning rod and throttles it muzzle-first into his rifle over and ove for the first however many rounds, just because he read it somewhere? Its like a roofer giving you a pressure washer for a DIY roof cleaning project to me.

Going to have to watch those. Makes me feel a bit better as I am not religious about cleaning immediately after a range trip. Sometimes its a day or two or seven.....:rolleyes:

and

5 rounds x 2 times "
10 rounds x 1 time "

Well the second is saying it can do harm

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR