JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I make ground blinds from materials the land provides and use a hand made wood call that I've had 20+ years. Pretty easy to tag out but I have a serious turkey problem here. 20180909_091800.jpg

Turkey hunting is one of my favorite things!

Why? Because the most common method requires you to be completely still and camouflaged and you get to observe all sorts of wildlife activity.

I've had finches land on my hat brim, deer sniff my boots, and seen a cougar take down a deer.

The most common method is to go out and find the turkeys in the late afternoon and stalk them. You watch them from a distance and figure out where they are feeding. Then, right before dark, they will fly up in a group of trees to roost for the night. This is called "putting them to bed".

Then, you come back the next morning while still dark, then set up a blind near where you think the turkeys are going to feed when they come down, then wait for light.

Then when they fly down in the morning, use a call and or decoys to entice them within shooting distance.

Or you can go out and find a flock during the day and try to figure out which way they are wandering, then set up a natural blind and start trying to call them in.

They have incredible eyesight, hence the complete camouflage and no movement.

This will be my first time hunting turkey, I am so pumped for it. Have seen them a couple places near private land and maybe one near public. Gonna go scout some more next week

Turkey hunting is one of my favorite things!

Why? Because the most common method requires you to be completely still and camouflaged and you get to observe all sorts of wildlife activity.

I've had finches land on my hat brim, deer sniff my boots, and seen a cougar take down a deer.

The most common method is to go out and find the turkeys in the late afternoon and stalk them. You watch them from a distance and figure out where they are feeding. Then, right before dark, they will fly up in a group of trees to roost for the night. This is called "putting them to bed".

Then, you come back the next morning while still dark, then set up a blind near where you think the turkeys are going to feed when they come down, then wait for light.

Then when they fly down in the morning, use a call and or decoys to entice them within shooting distance.

Or you can go out and find a flock during the day and try to figure out which way they are wandering, then set up a natural blind and start trying to call them in.

They have incredible eyesight, hence the complete camouflage and no movement.
Wow, incredible details yet succinctly stated! I wanted to hear more! Are you a writer?

So what I am hearing is that we all need to come hunt your place?
The problem is so bad that I decided to put a camera up at an active location for 24 hours. Came back the next day to see what I was dealing with and had 1100+ pics. Granted that's only 30-40 turkeys or so but apparently they like the salt block I put out for our cows.
I have a younger kid I know that likes to hunt and I like to have fence built, so we have a good relationship

I like the challenge of calling them in. I used to be an avid turkey hunter on public ground because I liked the challenge. Since we bought this place I dont turkey hunt much due the lack of the challenge as they are more of a nuisance.
Now I chase them out of my yard around the house because i get tired of them leaving poo on my concrete and ashpahlt.
My 3 year old son is getting really good at chasing them on his dirt bike which is hilarious to watch. Occasionally you get a dominate tom that challenges my son on his bike which has turned into a tasty meal

I like the challenge of calling them in. I used to be an avid turkey hunter on public ground because I liked the challenge. Since we bought this place I dont turkey hunt much due the lack of the challenge as they are more of a nuisance.
Now I chase them out of my yard around the house because i get tired of them leaving poo on my concrete and ashpahlt.
My 3 year old son is getting really good at chasing them on his dirt bike which is hilarious to watch. Occasionally you get a dominate tom that challenges my son on his bike which has turned into a tasty meal
My Mossberg 12 gauge would be up to that challenge! A Tom getting after my three-year child would meet the wrath of the Lord!!!

I understand Turkey hunting commences about the time of uncle Sam's deadline for tax returns. Where are the hot spots for turkey in Oregon? My wife and I like to take drives, and I have seen a fair amount of turkeys around Glenwood and Trout Lake, Washington. I haven't checked the requirements yet, but I'm guessing an Oregon hunting license is not transferable there?

Oregon license will not be of any use in Washington. You will need to get an out of state residence Washington (assuming you have Oregon residency) hunting license and Turkey tag, that will be one expensive Turkey.
Turkey's are all over the willamette valley. Buddy up with a landowner and maybe trade some labor for hunting days, go on a guided turkey hunt or hunt public land.

Oregon license will not be of any use in Washington. You will need to get an out of state residence Washington (assuming you have Oregon residency) hunting license and Turkey tag, that will be one expensive Turkey.
Turkey's are all over the willamette valley. Buddy up with a landowner and maybe trade some labor for hunting days, go on a guided turkey hunt or hunt public land.
Thanks, good suggestion!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads