JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, As some of you know, I have a Super Cub on 31" tundra tires! They are great for what they are intended for, but the major problem is they wear out super fast and are super expensive to replace as in $2500 each!:eek: I had mine re capped by Goodyear, but that is only a bandaid for the real issue!

What I am looking for is a Ag or Sand tire that is close in size or even taller/wider for flotation!
I am also looking to up grade my brakes from the super small "Standard Size" 8" diameter rotors to a ATV/UTV brake system to loose more weight and increase braking power and decrease cost of replacement!
This is what I have and am looking to replace with a better wearing balloon tire rim combo!
Any leads or Ideas?
supercub5.jpg

Considering the use/application, I wouldn't be asking that question here.
Nothing illegal, immoral, ot fattening here, and this is regestered as "Experimental" so pretty much any thing goes as long as its safe!:)
One of the major hang up's is the aviation industry is S-L-O-W as molasses in December with innovation and the FAA imposed regulations ( which mostly dont apply here) so were all stuck in the spin cycle trying to make our sport more fun and enjoyable! :)

The whole idea is to get away from aviation specific parts, using other well proven parts so im not stuck spending that kind of money all the time on what is basically a captive market!:eek:
Believe me, buying a set of these tires every year is stupid, even for the more money then brains club!:p:D

Thinking outside the box... Finding large diameter tires that will fit on a small diameter rim, and that are wide will be a challenge.

Those tires really are a specialty item.

Closest I can come up with (and that's not including some agricultural applications that I don't know about) would be ATV tires.

Since they often come in larger diameter sizes on smaller diameter rims, they may have enough material to offer adequate shock absorption, which is the whole purpose of the 8" rim and 31" diameter.

Unfortunately, in searching ATV tires, the taller they are, the bigger diameter the rim. In a 31" tire, the smallest rim diameter is 14". I don't think there's enough sidewall there to give you the amount of shock absorption and flotation you need for your application.

a67-7418_1.jpg

Thinking outside the box... Finding large diameter tires that will fit on a small diameter rim, and that are wide will be a challenge.

Those tires really are a specialty item.

Closest I can come up with (and that's not including some agricultural applications that I don't know about) would be ATV tires.

Since they often come in larger diameter sizes on smaller diameter rims, they may have enough material to offer adequate shock absorption, which is the whole purpose of the 8" rim and 31" diameter.

Unfortunately, in searching ATV tires, the taller they are, the bigger diameter the rim. In a 31" tire, the smallest rim diameter is 14". I don't think there's enough sidewall there to give you the amount of shock absorption and flotation you need for your application.

View attachment 562988
Your on the right track!
This is why I'm thinking an Ag tire like you would find on drag equipment. As long as any tread is groves only, that's fine! Back before these Alaska Bush wheels, Goodyear made Aero wheels that were kind of the grand daddy to the new stuff, but the whole problem is tread life now days really really sucks ( like a $20 bill every time you land or turn ):eek:
! A lot of Old Timers would use Micky Thompson Racing Slicks and use the lightest automotive wheels they could find! I thought about that trick, but the stiff side walls would make cross wind landing's wicked nasty!
The hunt is still on!

Go to Summit racing and have look at the zillions of tires they offer. Takes a few mins to figure out the key but once you do their site is pretty easy.

So, As some of you know, I have a Super Cub on 31" tundra tires! They are great for what they are intended for, but the major problem is they wear out super fast and are super expensive to replace as in $2500 each!:eek: I had mine re capped by Goodyear, but that is only a bandaid for the real issue!

What I am looking for is a Ag or Sand tire that is close in size or even taller/wider for flotation!
I am also looking to up grade my brakes from the super small "Standard Size" 8" diameter rotors to a ATV/UTV brake system to loose more weight and increase braking power and decrease cost of replacement!
This is what I have and am looking to replace with a better wearing balloon tire rim combo!
Any leads or Ideas?
View attachment 562914
I used to run Armstrong implement tires on my Jeep for the sand.
31x10.50
Firestone and a few others make them now.
You would want to make sure that they can handle the dynamic loading that they will get as an aircraft tire.
Image Search :
31" implement tires - Google Search

Last Edited:
I've got a stupid question teacher.
Does that plane intend to land on terrain it was meant for? Meaning BFE places in Alaska?
Cause if so, why would you even think about something other than what's proven to work there?

Excuse my sarcasm @Ura-Ki , as I'm sure you know...
Bush flying in itself, is far different than any other.
Trekking out into the wilderness and landing/skipping (skiing) across the water and onto gravel bars is part of the game.
Part of that game (most all relative) comes in the form of expense due to being specially made for that type service life. Sharp objects (I can't imagine) are everywhere you land and are unavoidable to a large degree. The wide/tall tires needed to absorb the landings are necessary. Even at that, I envision broken struts, mains, nose-overs (to name a few). The more I think about the use of the tires, as they are expendable, I'm sure the companies that make these specialty tires have it all figured out. Meaning, they "could" make more durable skins, but why? You folks who like to fly in the bush keep them in business, and they know you'll continue doing so due to that fixation within that area within the hobby. Your experimental, awesome. Your hobby, awesome. To imagine myself in the hobby, I would be consumed by the rush and adventures, exploring. Gawd the thought just GRABS me. Admittedly, I'm envious. Also admittedly, your "hobby" has always been too rich for my wallet.

Best I can think, your posting here in search of alternatives to a tire of lesser expense, must mean tires are the thorn among all bush pilots and their chariots. Sounds like it's part of the game. Check-Mate?

BTW, nothing personal. Your way of "getting away from it all", sucks. Not really. My comments come from my envy. :)

I'm in my 50's, so this may sound odd. Maybe not.
Your SC is bad azz :cool:

Thanks guys for the ideas and cool thoughts, keep them comming, i think i may be on to a lead, going to try and run it down and see what pans out!

This is my baby, my escape from the world, and its a serious rush, one I wish I had known about a long time ago when a young Airmen first started flying. I had no idea something like this was happening or that it could be so much fun! Then one day my instructor opened the hanger door and inside was a bright yellow J-3Cub and I was hooked! I just had to fly that old bird and see what all the fuss was about! A Cessna 172, a Denali Scout, and a Super Cub later has brought me here and i am most happy with the result!

And this hobby has gotten a lot cheaper to get into. My Sorta Super Cub was all up basic with just the landing gear options and bush wheels, $70k all in! I even got to order a custom paint job and thr leather as part of the package at no additional cost! They delivered it 4 months after I signed the order and deposited 1/2 the total!:)
And, you dont need a "Pilots Licence" to enjoy this, you can get a LSA Sport licence and enjoy 90% of the flying privliages a full licence grants! And that cost is what ever an instructor would charge ya!:)

Just one more picture lol just go big.
Probably won't be able to fly.View attachment 563097
The problem with any tire option is tread, if it has a tread pattern, it will "Hook" on things, and toss them into your $4500 prop, or through the bottom of your wing! Watched The guys @Sherpa aircraft, as part of a promo video in on their bad arse plane, put a set of Boggers on a million dollar bush plane then went out and blew a prop apart and had to hire a large rescue helicopter to hoist it back home!:eek::eek::eek:
So, part of the issue is the tires need to be almost a slick! And, we some times land with our brakes locked or almost locked and using friction of the slide to come to a screeching halt! Dosnt matter much what you land on, that kills tire life! With these Alaska Bush Wheels, even sharp turns on the ground ( like getting into/out of my hanger ) really wear on them!
The whole idea of why they dominate the market is they have an integral innertube that fills from the side wall, this prevents the possibility of ripping a valve stem off doing a aggressive landing where the tire can actually spin on the rim! Bead locks do work, but there are no options other then an auto motive rim and tire, hence the racing slicks and bead lock racing rims! That worked for a lot of years, but led to a number of accidents from breakage, so the bush wheel fixed a lot of that! With more and more pilots discovering the fun of bush flying, the lower costs of getting into this hobby, and the slowely expanding market ( and after market) there is greater need for alternate options, mostly because even us hard core bush pilots dont like spending that kind of money, and with suspension options growning almost daily, the reliance on the bush wheels is lessening!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top