JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Doing some dreaming of when I can upgrade my daily driver. Currently have a 2005 GMC Yukon in great shape with only 95k miles on it. Works great for everyday and towing my little pop-up camper or utility trailer with my Honda Pioneer in it. It's also great for hauling around my best friend; a 100lb great dane/lab mix is getting old and can't jump very high. In fact, he's the reason I traded in my 2014 Ram 1500 quadcab. It was too tall for him to get into anymore and I needed a useable back seat for my grandkids.

So, I can't upgrade back to a pickup until he passes, which is probably in a year or so.

Currently, I can't haul both my camper and my side by side into the woods. My experience with the Ram 1500 was that if I had my UTV in the bed and towing the camper all loaded down with gear, it was close to the safe limits and sketchy for going very far, so I decided I needed a 3/4-ton long bed. That way, I can haul the Honda in the bed and tow a camper. And I'm planning on borrowing my folk's 24' RV for camping in the future.

But I was doing some research online into the latest pickups and priced out a pretty bare bones 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 crewcab long bed Tradesman with the 6.4l Hemi, power everything, auto tranny, and some little upgrades like limited slip, bigger alternator, etc.

Price was $39k. Went to a couple of dealer websites and they are discounted to $35k. Selling my Yukon and putting cash down along with low interest due to my decent credit, payment is around $400 a month. Not bad for a brand new 3/4-ton 4x4 crew cab.

Went to the Ford site and built the same truck. Close to the same price at $41k.

Went to a couple of area Ford dealer websites and no discounts whatsoever. In fact, all of the F250's were optioned out at $45k+ with the cheapest being $42k after a "discount".

But, my employer has a deal with the local Ford dealer to give employees fleet pricing, so no idea how much that would save. I can't buy a truck now, anyways.

I checked prices for the Ram 1/2-tons and they were actually more expensive for a similarly equipped pickup. I guess more folks want half tons.

I know truck prices are generally insane. My dad has a 2005 Chevy 1-ton dually 4x4 Duramax diesel truck with leather and all the options. Sticker price 13 years ago was $69k!

I was actually pleasantly surprised that I could get a brand new 3/4-ron 4x4 crewcab with power windows, AC, cruise, automatic, and some other goodies for $35k.

Heck, I was looking at Toyota 4Runners and the cheapest you could find one was $35k.

That's a lot of truck for $36k...

ram1.PNG

Of course, every pickup I buy has to have my own personal upgrades such as front lift, bigger tires, rims, fender flares, and front end protection...

My Ram 1500 looked pretty plain until I added my own personal touch...

ram2.jpg

I could use something bigger than the Tacoma to drag our Polaris around, but cannot come to terms with the prices and lack of quality for the new rigs.

Trucks are outpriced purposely to detour more from buying them.

They don't want everyone owning trucks like 30+ years ago.

My in-laws just bought a 2018 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 4X4 fully loaded and they paid almost 15K less then the other two brands comparably equiped, that was before all the discounts, and the final cash price, was about 18K less then the Ford, and almost 20K less then the Chebby! GMC wasnt even considdered due to its even higher price!
If they had opted for the Diesel, it would have been even better, but they dont use it enough to justify a diesel, the 3/4 ton with Hemi is plenty of truck for them! Gotta say, its has the most room and the biggest doors of the 4 dor trucks! Super comfy and gets really good mileage!:):):)

That price on the Ram 2500 sounds great to me. Can't believe the cost of your dad's truck way back then, but again it is a Duramax diesel.
It is shocking what people are asking for used Toyota's! I was in the market for a replacement vehicle recently and I was looking at Tacoma's and 4 Runners among other things. Insane amount for used. Like 2/3 of what my dad paid for his 2010 Tacoma quad cab TRD!!

I'd get the truck you want and then get a ramp for your puppy. They even make ramps that will stow underneath. Truth be told your old fella or gal really wants to "go for a ride" in a truck, too. Other rigs are kinda like what the cat would want to rude around in.

I'd get the truck you want and then get a ramp for your puppy. They even make ramps that will stow underneath. Truth be told your old fella or gal really wants to "go for a ride" in a truck, too. Other rigs are kinda like what the cat would want to rude around in.
I tried the ramp thing, and steps, even a set of stairs I kept in the bed. He would have none of it. :s0125:

When I bought my UTV, I got a huge rack for the back and installed a padded doggy bed on it, then tried to use a ramp for him to get on it. Nope. He doesn't do ramps or stairs. He's nearly 13yrs old, so I'm thankful that he's still relatively mobile and happy.

Don't buy new! Get a couple years of depreciation gone and the price tanks. A lot of people by 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to haul the camper/trailer 2-3 times a year and make a dump run once a month. You can find NICE low mileage rigs, even with some upgrades for way less than new, like approaching 1/2 the price.

I've been running 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks since I got my 1st in '91 (new). Treated right they last a looong time. I like diesels, easy maintenance, used to be even easier until the afterburners became mandated. I used to by new but got over that ridiculousness and haven't been disappointed at all, I'll never buy a new truck again. I like at least 2 years old, that'll save you 30% min and have any bugs worked out, a few oil changes and maybe a fresh set of rubber and still be a relatively new truck. You can still get aftermarket or factory warranties on them.

That price on the Ram 2500 sounds great to me. Can't believe the cost of your dad's truck way back then, but again it is a Duramax diesel.
It is shocking what people are asking for used Toyota's! I was in the market for a replacement vehicle recently and I was looking at Tacoma's and 4 Runners among other things. Insane amount for used. Like 2/3 of what my dad paid for his 2010 Tacoma quad cab TRD!!
Indeed, king Edward needed to be hoisted up onto his horse insted of riding around on an inferior goat.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. @v0lcom13sn0w could probably give you some GM specific insight.
Personally, I've never been one to get in on the newest, bestest truck competition. I'd prefer to let someone else take the lion's share of the depreciation hit. Plus, it takes a few years of hindsight to really know what years and models were great or lemons.

Personally, I feel no shame in driving a respectable older vehicle that a paid cash for. I hate payments -- and debt in general.

Sounds like you probably need a 3/4 ton and possibly a diesel if you load the UTV in the back and tow a 24' trailer. 1tons are great but parts tend to get quite a bit more expensive when you make that leap.

You're in a rural area so you can get away with some diesel delete shenanigans. This will simplify your life in the long run. DPF systems can be unforgiving and expensive. They were designed for prolonged freeway usage, not soccer mom duty.

Over here in farm country, used truck prices are crazy. My dad's truck is now worth more than what he paid for it 7 years ago.

I see no real advantage in buying a likely abused and ill-maintained pickup for a few grand less than a new one, especially when you factor in the finance rates and $2500 cost of a warranty.

I paid $29k for my Ram 1500 and put 55k miles on it with zero issues. The dealer put it back on the lot for $25k.

Don't buy new! Get a couple years of depreciation gone and the price tanks. A lot of people by 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to haul the camper/trailer 2-3 times a year and make a dump run once a month. You can find NICE low mileage rigs, even with some upgrades for way less than new, like approaching 1/2 the price.

That is absolutely not the case around here.

If so, I could find a 2017 Ram 2500 with under 50k miles for $17k. Or $25k for a loaded one....

I did a search on Autotrader for a 4dr Ram 2500 within 50 miles and I got 4 results. Please show me which one is a better deal than a brand new one with all the options I need for $35k...

ram3.JPG
ram2.JPG

Doing some dreaming of when I can upgrade my daily driver. Currently have a 2005 GMC Yukon in great shape with only 95k miles on it. Works great for everyday and towing my little pop-up camper or utility trailer with my Honda Pioneer in it. It's also great for hauling around my best friend; a 100lb great dane/lab mix is getting old and can't jump very high. In fact, he's the reason I traded in my 2014 Ram 1500 quadcab. It was too tall for him to get into anymore and I needed a useable back seat for my grandkids.

So, I can't upgrade back to a pickup until he passes, which is probably in a year or so.

Currently, I can't haul both my camper and my side by side into the woods. My experience with the Ram 1500 was that if I had my UTV in the bed and towing the camper all loaded down with gear, it was close to the safe limits and sketchy for going very far, so I decided I needed a 3/4-ton long bed. That way, I can haul the Honda in the bed and tow a camper. And I'm planning on borrowing my folk's 24' RV for camping in the future.

But I was doing some research online into the latest pickups and priced out a pretty bare bones 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 crewcab long bed Tradesman with the 6.4l Hemi, power everything, auto tranny, and some little upgrades like limited slip, bigger alternator, etc.

Price was $39k. Went to a couple of dealer websites and they are discounted to $35k. Selling my Yukon and putting cash down along with low interest due to my decent credit, payment is around $400 a month. Not bad for a brand new 3/4-ton 4x4 crew cab.

Went to the Ford site and built the same truck. Close to the same price at $41k.

Went to a couple of area Ford dealer websites and no discounts whatsoever. In fact, all of the F250's were optioned out at $45k+ with the cheapest being $42k after a "discount".

But, my employer has a deal with the local Ford dealer to give employees fleet pricing, so no idea how much that would save. I can't buy a truck now, anyways.

I checked prices for the Ram 1/2-tons and they were actually more expensive for a similarly equipped pickup. I guess more folks want half tons.

I know truck prices are generally insane. My dad has a 2005 Chevy 1-ton dually 4x4 Duramax diesel truck with leather and all the options. Sticker price 13 years ago was $69k!

I was actually pleasantly surprised that I could get a brand new 3/4-ron 4x4 crewcab with power windows, AC, cruise, automatic, and some other goodies for $35k.

Heck, I was looking at Toyota 4Runners and the cheapest you could find one was $35k.
For s**ts and giggles go and try an auto broker. They have no inventory and search for what you want in a car/truck. Dealerships all have to pay inventory taxes and high labor rates which they'll pass onto any vehicle sold. We used them a couple of times and were quite happy with their service.

Supply and demand. You might try widening your search. Since I moved over here to the land of abused and overpriced junk, I've purchased 3 vehicles. Two in the Portland area and one in Seattle. Because it was absolutely worth the drive to get nicer stuff for less money. But that is used stuff and it sounds like you are really only considering buying new. I can't really help you there.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. @v0lcom13sn0w could probably give you some GM specific insight.
Personally, I've never been one to get in on the newest, bestest truck competition. I'd prefer to let someone else take the lion's share of the depreciation hit. Plus, it takes a few years of hindsight to really know what years and models were great or lemons.

Personally, I feel no shame in driving a respectable older vehicle that a paid cash for. I hate payments -- and debt in general.

Sounds like you probably need a 3/4 ton and possibly a diesel if you load the UTV in the back and tow a 24' trailer. 1tons are great but parts tend to get quite a bit more expensive when you make that leap.

You're in a rural area so you can get away with some diesel delete shenanigans. This will simplify your life in the long run. DPF systems can be unforgiving and expensive. They were designed for prolonged freeway usage, not soccer mom duty.
i think any of the newer ford, chevy and dodges are pretty good. for a diesel/towing truck id get a dodge.

diesels are more expensive to maintain and cost a bit more to repair.

my dream truck would be a 94ish ford crew cab f350 with a 12v cummins and 6spd manual swap in it.

i really like the 2003-2007 dodge pick ups but would only own one with a manual transmission. the autos are junk in that vintage without some serious trans upgrades.

also, the 2006 and early 2007 duramax pickups are great. good engine, good transmission.

i work for GM. If GM kept the solid front axle, it would be a done deal and id be a big chevy duramax fan boy.

BTW the exhaust aftertreatment system would be the first thing to go if i were to own a 2011 and newer diesel truck.

I just bought a new 18 Chevy last month, only a half ton, with crew cab and 4x4. It will tow anything I need it to. I have always said that I'd never buy new, until I had the money and went shopping for used late models. The used in some cases were more than new because the previous owner got suckered into the extended warranty. Oh well, I ate crow and went new, I'll have it for the next 20 or so years so value will be in my favor long term. I was fortunate to be able to pay cash for it and found out that there really isint any leverage that way. The dealerships make more money on the financing than the truck itself.

i think any of the newer ford, chevy and dodges are pretty good. for a diesel/towing truck id get a dodge.

diesels are more expensive to maintain and cost a bit more to repair.

my dream truck would be a 94ish ford crew cab f350 with a 12v cummins and 6spd manual swap in it.

i really like the 2003-2007 dodge pick ups but would only own one with a manual transmission. the autos are junk in that vintage without some serious trans upgrades.

also, the 2006 and early 2007 duramax pickups are great. good engine, good transmission.

i work for GM. If GM kept the solid front axle, it would be a done deal and id be a big chevy duramax fan boy.

BTW the exhaust aftertreatment system would be the first thing to go if i were to own a 2011 and newer diesel truck.

Diesels make zero sense for me. I tow my side by side and little camper maybe a dozen times a year or more, but we're talking 2k or less pounds. My old hemi Ram had plenty of power, but the coil spring rear suspension just was too weak.

Diesels cost way more to maintain, are a $9,300 option on a new Ram truck, and are insanely expensive to repair, for very, very little savings in terms of fuel costs. My dad's Duramax blew a head gasket at 100k miles and it was a $10k repair bill to fix.

He and I both towed campers to moose camp a couple of years ago. He got 13mpg and I got 12mpg. My Ram 1500 averaged 18mpg on my daily commute, with a 400hp hemi and 34" tires.

Since you work for GM, surely you are aware of the "Chevy Shake" that is plaguing many of the new trucks?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews