JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love reading peoples opinion. I think everyone should have one. Most of the time based on some assumption they happen to have.

The Question I asked related to the amount of ammo NOTHING ELSE.

I love reading peoples opinion. I think everyone should have one. Most of the time based on some assumption they happen to have.

You sir are correct. My apologies.

To answer your question, as much as you can carry without affecting gas mileage. Cheers!

25 rds for the 30-30.
4 spare mags for the pistol.

If there is room for more, great! But if I had that set up and had to bail on foot, I wouldn't want to carry more than that unless I had to.

I would say your load out sounds about right! I see the Jeep about the same as what I carry in the SuperCub where weight and space is a concern! I usually carry a semi auto ( FAL) in .308 and 9 loaded 20 round mags, and usually carry pistols on body! Makes it super easy to transfer in and out of the various rigs with out fuss! I would carry a M-1 Carbine, but........................too nice to get trashed!

Post up some pictures of your Jeep for us Jeep aficionados to drool over! :cool::D;)

I would say your load out sounds about right! I see the Jeep about the same as what I carry in the SuperCub where weight and space is a concern! I usually carry a semi auto ( FAL) in .308 and 9 loaded 20 round mags, and usually carry pistols on body! Makes it super easy to transfer in and out of the various rigs with out fuss! I would carry a M-1 Carbine, but........................too nice to get trashed!

Post up some pictures of your Jeep for us Jeep aficionados to drool over! :cool::D;)

Just for you Ura-ki

r181ZDQ.jpg

DvWETm2.jpg

nVds5Pd.jpg

Yca1pFw.jpg

j4oGTHY.jpg

A9iXWHR.jpg

12 forward gears and 4 in reverse Rear axle electric locker As you can tell the engine is not even close to stock. Everything and I mean everything has either been rebuilt to better then new replaced with newer or made from scratch including all of the suspension except the springs The steering is what you might find on a 50K Street rod but with a manual box. There are parts sourced from 28+ Jeeps dating from 1946 to 1972. CJ's FC's Wagons DJ's and a Wagoneer.
I been working on this for a total of 10 years spread over 15 years. First time I sat in it I was 5 years old in 1962.

I am thinking depending on my work schedule I should have it on the road end of the summer. Then this coming winter I build the Structured Aluminum Hard Top. Suicide Doors fully insulated the top will be painted Wimbledon White electric door and hatch locks and 3/8" Lexan Windows. Once the top is finished I start on the Off road travel trailer I have designed to go behind it.

That should give you an idea. An Old Jeep its not Its a new jeep that looks old..

Last Edited:
It's a Army Jeep so I'd go with an ammo can of ammo for each. Co-ink-a-dink-ly that's my personal stocking level for every caliber I own.

NOPE not an Army or Military Jeep in any way shape or form it is a Civilian Jeep its Model designation CJ-2A its a 1948 by title But to the best of my knowledge having built it completely with my own hands there are NO parts from a Military Jeep in even though there are parts from 28+ other jeeps in its construction.

I to store my ammo in Ammo cans

You have a very distinctive vehicle, now with pictures of it in this thread. You've described what guns you plan to store in it and where. Unless you're banking on the tweakers not being internet savvy, that's a recipe for disaster.

You went off the rails too . :D

Yea two things kept me from going with a M1 Carbine which was actually my first choice. 1. Value a $800+ rifle is just to much for a Truck gun. 2. Its to big. I have only a VERY shallow compartment that I can make into the Tops ceiling and an M1 Carbine is way thicker then a model 1894 Lenght wise its also longer.

Model 1894 1.375" wide x 34" long
M1 Carbine 2.75" wide x 35.75" long I would have to have a compartment almost 3 3/8" deep to store the Carbine Where the Model 1894 will only require 2" big difference when talking about how thick the ceiling is.

I will be storing two firearms in my 48 Willys Jeep (Full structured insulated aluminum hard top) The first a Star Model B 9mm I have had this pistol almost 35 years it is unbelievably reliable and plenty accurate) This will be stored in a Center console that will be constructed stronger and harder to get into without permission then any small handgun safe I have seen on the market as it will also be where my Radio gear and other valuables will be kept in the vehicle. The second will be a Winchster Model 1894 in 30-30 that was many decades ago cut down to a Trapper length (16.25" barrel) This will be stored in a compartment in the ceiling of the Hard top also very securely not to mention hidden.

What I am curious about is what are peoples thoughts on the amount of ammo I plan on including with them.

For the hand gun which has an 8rd std Mag I plan on adding 4) extra Mags so a total of 40 rds. I would then add a box of 50
For the Carbine which has a magazine that holds 6) rds I would add a 2) boxes of 20 or possibly a bulk box of 50

I will include a clip on holster for the handgun as well as a clip on mag pouch the rifle will most likely have a simple nylon sling attached to it.

Please do not venture off into why the rifle should be an AR an AR won't fit where I have room for it or that I should have some other Handgun the discussion has been made.

Personally, I'd bump the ammunition up a bit. Just in the off chance you're out & about, and have the opportunity for some impromptu safe plinking.

Well, ya DID talk about your guns and your rig, and since we may not carry those guns in our rig (or have a 48 Willy's: full disclosure...my ONLY rig was a '47 for 3 years), at least in my case it was necessary to state my rig, state my guns, and what I carry in it as necessary to give a valid opinion on how much ammo and why.

Nice rig.

I would think your ammo amounts should be fine although I would probably double the amount for the lever gun as it will be the most effective tool of the two for backwoods adventures. Got me thinking it has been a good while since I shot my Star 9mm. I might have to dig it out for some range time. Nice Jeep!

Something not mentioned is the need for a sling of some sort for each long gun in the vehicle. And a pouch or mag carrier for the long gun. All good to have extra ammo, but you must have some means to carry it other than stuffing pockets.
Slightly different vehicle, but if you have a truck with a back seat, there were gun vaults available that would fit under the back seat. Those might pass Oregon muster as well since they are purpose built for the intended use. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with a handgun vault under the front seat in the middle. It's recessed enough to preclude easy pry bar access to the door. Glock 23 with 4 15 rnd mags and a pair of 8X30 Steiners fit in it with room to spare. Clip on holster and mag carrier goes under the back seat. This in addition to my EDC. Thinking about a police surplus locking rifle mount under the back seat as well, the kind that actually uses a key and not an electric button or handcuff key.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top