JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a Tri-County member for 10+ years. I'm the kind of member that pays his dues faithfully and goes shooting there about once a month, mostly to indoctrinate, er educate my nephews and cousins. I'm not really very active beyond that - typical middle-aged guy with a career and family and not enough time to shoot :(

Anyway, I got my voter guide for the elections and the first candidate says (in his statement):

"I hope that every single TCGC member has learned from the recent mistakes that seriously jeopardized this fabulous, one-of-a-kind gun club's existence."

Another candidate said "Many members, like me, utilize the Club as a retreat to enjoy our favorite pastime across many of our ranges. When that retreat was threatened, I was triggered to action..."

What are they referring to?

I'm always somewhat clueless in these elections - just go off the statements candidates make.

Probably someone sending a round outside the range... they have that no muzzle over berm rule, remember?

I think it is more than that. The management of the facility was pretty poor for a while to the point where they stopped accepting new members for a year or two. I think there were legitimate concerns of if the club would survive. I have only been a member for about a year, but I was on the wait list for almost 2 years before that, and my father was a member there for many, many years so I have shot there since I was a little kid (I am 45 now). I think the past president and board members were not very safety oriented, had a lot of disputes with the city of Sherwood, and were just letting the club die a slow death from neglect of the community (members and local folks). The new president and board seem to be doing a good job of rectifying a lot of these issues. There are a lot of safety regulations that people disagree with, but I am OK with them. It is a safe place to take my kids to shoot, and it is much closer to the local population than a lot of outdoor ranges. Because of the nearness to Sherwood it is convenient and easy to go regularly, but extra care has to be taken to keep the surrounding businesses and homes safe.

I too am curious about what went down. I do remember hearing something pertaining to struggling to get a new lease signed. With that talks about expanding the mining operation which would close some ranges. To my understanding the range was never at risk of shutting down.

There are multiple organizations involved. Those who own the property. And those who run the gun range.

They have been at odds over development.

May not seem like a big deal, but if the ranges you use, are shut down for re-development, then it will be a very big deal to you.

The club is still transitioning from the "old guys" to the "new blood"

Much of this was in letters and the newsletter mailed to your home over the past couple of years.

I think most members are like the OP - it seems to be working what is all this ?

While I don't think it is productive to air dirty laundry on a public forum, it is good to ask questions and be, somewhat, involved.

Oversimplification : if you look at the club as one big family with a handful of members being the decision makers in that family, they had a big squabble. Like @RicInOR states, there are two groups - the small group that runs the trust that owns the land, and the bigger group that runs the club. I wouldn't break it down to old and new blood, I would look at it as a significant difference between the two about the direction the combined organization is heading.
Reading the updates in the newsletters and special messages, I was never under the impression that the club would "go away." It was apparent that everyone involved, both organization entities, the county and local agencies, want the club to thrive. Reading yesterday's newsletter, it seems that it will move forward, very positively.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood the membership freeze was an issue of reevaluating the procedure for indoctrinating new members regarding safety issues and range use -- all from the perspective of liability. Since then, I have noticed many changes implemented, and I believe once the changes were firmly in place, they reopened accepting new members.
Nothing can shut you down faster than one good lawsuit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood the membership freeze was an issue of reevaluating the procedure for indoctrinating new members regarding safety issues and range use -- all from the perspective of liability. Since then, I have noticed many changes implemented, and I believe once the changes were firmly in place, they reopened accepting new members.
Nothing can shut you down faster than one good lawsuit.

This is correct. New memberships were suspended while they reworked safety procedures and presentations.
My understanding now is that they have reached full membership capacity so there is still a wait list.

Last Edited:
It is a complex land use disagreement between the boards of the entity that owns the land and the entity that runs the club which are two different and overlapping groups. The dispute has two sides to it and while I am firmly in the camp of the group that runs the club, TCGC, the other side, TVSC who owns the land, had a different vision. Both groups believed they held the best interests of their organizations. Much of this is detailed in the newsletter which you should be getting over the last year.

At this time, the lease is signed, there is a training program in place. I do not know the status of the membership list. I thought they were accepting new people, but there is most always a wait. If you think you want to join go ahead and fill out the form and get in the line because they do go in order.

If you are going to vote, I'd not put too much emphasis on what side one person is on or the other, try to figure out which one will do what you think is important for the club.

I don't understand the need to gratuitously insert politics into a thread about the internal affairs of a local shooting club.

Great point, being a gun owner should really have little to do with politics. Let's not push away people who don't fit the stereotypical mold, I certainly don't most of the time!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews