JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
just had another member ask for me to do a bill of sale instead of going to an FFL.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was illegal.

Don't fall for it. Chances are slim that you would ever get into trouble doing it. You have to ask yourself, is it worth the slim risk for the money? I have a PCC or 2 I am going to sell. I could easily sell them with the BGC for around $300 right now. Hassle to do it but at that price they should go fast. If I was still able to sell them to another resident face to face I could most likely get maybe another $100 out of each. So to make maybe $100 is it worth it to me to break the law? NO WAY IN HELL. Now no doubt some still do. Have guns they bought before the law changed and or guns they never had to paper. Great for them. Chances are they will never feel any pain from doing it. I just can't see the upside to taking the risk. Even if it is slim. If someone does get into a legal "jam" over this will they still feel it was worth it for that little amount of money? Doubt it.

I was not going to. I may think it's dumb but the law is the law. And I've got responsibilities. Plus this guys photo looked like a young kid holding up bottles. Not a good first impression.

Last Edited:
No secrets.
The Moderators need to know all the details to get him straight,
or get him gone.

There's a big anti2a "push" on, and last few days lots of "termites" have begun to emerge from the woodwork to try to troll gun forums, trying to make gun forums, and gun owners look bad. They're trying to get members to break laws (or say they did), to follow up false stories with violent/unhinged replies, to respond to fake surveys and phone #'s. They often try to identify names, addresses, personal info.
It's well funded, highly organized and carefully planned. These guys think the timing is right.

Now, more than ever, lets be excellent to each other, cool our jets, read our posts several times before we hit "enter"....
....and try our best to trust, but always verify.

Last Edited:
You probably should tell an admin who it was. It doesn't do our reputation as a community any good.
I'm not sure how to tell an admin. The kid stopped responding once I told him I'm not breaking the law. I could but him on blast here. Didn't know if that was appropriate.

No secrets.
The Moderators need to know all the details to get him straight,
or get him gone.

There's a big anti2a "push" on, and last few days lots of "termites" have begun to emerge from the woodwork to try to troll gun forums, trying to make gun forums, and gun owners look bad. They're trying to get members to break laws (or say they did), to follow up false stories with violent/unhinged replies, to respond to fake surveys and phone #'s. They often try to identify names, addresses, personal info.
It's well funded, highly organized and carefully planned. These guys think the timing is right.

Now, more than ever, lets be excellent to each other, cool our jets, read our posts several times before we hit "enter"....
....and try our best to trust, but always verify.
Holy crap just pulled up his profile. He joined today and has entered into 53 conversation. He's fishing.

I was just having this conversation with a younger guy I work with about the law being stupid but me still thinking it should be followed. Whats funny is a few weeks ago I had been explaining to him that the NICS system is not a registry and the local Oregon and/or federal govt. doesn't keep track of who owns what guns other then a paper filing of who passed the background check and for what gun....which lead him to ask "isn't that a registry?" I continued to explain that the paperwork was not filed in a manner that kept track of what citizen had what guns in a quickly accessible list format that could result in quickly printable lists of how many guns each person had in the event of a tyrannical seizure.

Anyway, where I am going with this is considering that what I said above was true(PLEASE correct me and further explain if I am wrong) hypothetically if a person buys a gun from another person without the FFL and that gun gets used in a justified/legal self defense shooting is there anyway for the courts and police to figure out that the gun was illegally transferred to the more recent owner who used it.

My understanding is that the only way a gun can be illegally possessed in the state of OR as well as WA, ID is if the possessor is prohibited or the gun would have to be reported stolen. Unless of course the owner incriminated themselves by telling the details of purchase to an LEO.

BTW, I am certainly not advocating breaking any laws here! I'm just being curious about how the system works.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was illegal.

You are correct. Such a transfer is illegal. Should it be of interest, the statute it is here and the penalties are here.

Holy crap just pulled up his profile. He joined today and has entered into 53 conversation. He's fishing.

If a conversation is suspect, it can be reported to the moderator team by clicking the Report button in the bottom left:

USWMEz8.png

Hope that helps. :)

When buying a pistol in Washington. They take all your info, address , type of pistol. Serial number and date of transfer and that goes strait to the department of licensing

I was just having this conversation with a younger guy I work with about the law being stupid but me still thinking it should be followed. Whats funny is a few weeks ago I had been explaining to him that the NICS system is not a registry and the local Oregon and/or federal govt. doesn't keep track of who owns what guns other then a paper filing of who passed the background check and for what gun....which lead him to ask "isn't that a registry?" I continued to explain that the paperwork was not filed in a manner that kept track of what citizen had what guns in a quickly accessible list format that could result in quickly printable lists of how many guns each person had in the event of a tyrannical seizure.

Anyway, where I am going with this is considering that what I said above was true(PLEASE correct me and further explain if I am wrong) hypothetically if a person buys a gun from another person without the FFL and that gun gets used in a justified/legal self defense shooting is there anyway for the courts and police to figure out that the gun was illegally transferred to the more recent owner who used it.

My understanding is that the only way a gun can be illegally possessed in the state of OR as well as WA, ID is if the possessor is prohibited or the gun would have to be reported stolen. Unless of course the owner incriminated themselves by telling the details of purchase to an LEO.

BTW, I am certainly not advocating breaking any laws here! I'm just being curious about how the system works.

I am not a tinfoil hat wearing person, but do you honestly think "they" can't compile a list of all sales from all of the BGC being done?

I honestly don't care what "they" say. If you filled out paperwork and it was entered into a database for answer of "yea" or "nay" for you to buy a firearm, they know exactly who you are and what you've been approved (or denied) to purchase.

That's my $0.02. Your mileage may vary.

Dunehoppers rules for firearms selling.
1. Follow the laws, there are only a very slim set of conditions that would not place a person in hot water for doing so and still follow the laws.
2. Circumventing the law could have you needing to explain how you got into possession of a firearms that was sold after Aug 2015 when SB941 went into effect.
3. If ever you feel iffy about a sale don't do it.

SB941 went into effect in 2015 August, any firearms sold after that date can and would be found out that it was sold after that law in in place with private sale. Only limited family members still in Oregon are allowed personal gifts and transfers. So all others would be illegal after that date to be sold privately.

Not worth it to be honest, also not legal advice.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews