JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did some searches but not definitive on the results, but when a WA resident wants to sell a firearm to an out of state resident (this scenario, OR), they have to pass a background check from an FFL and private sales are illegal in the state WA.

Is that correct?
Also is the best process to do this, is take the firearm to an FFL in the state and have the out of state resident work through them after payment?
What if the out of state resident is a family member?
does it matter if it's a pistol?

All sales (in Washington and Oregon) whether from a gun dealer or a private party sale are required to go through a UBC conducted by a FFL.

Handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's home state, regardless if you're related to them or not.

Non-residents may purchase long guns in another state, but are subject to the laws/restrictions of their home state that the FFL (in the state that the purchase is happening in) is required to observe.

I've bought two shotguns two different times in Washington without the slightest hassle as an Oregon resident.

Hope that helps.

Handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's home state, regardless if you're related to them or not.

Non-residents may purchase long guns in another state, but are subject to the laws/restrictions of their home state that the FFL (in the state that the purchase is happening in) is required to observe. I've bought two shotguns two different times in Washington without the slightest hassle as an Oregon resident.
Thank you.

I did some searches but not definitive on the results, but when a WA resident wants to sell a firearm to an out of state resident (this scenario, OR), they have to pass a background check from an FFL and private sales are illegal in the state WA.

Is that correct?
Also is the best process to do this, is take the firearm to an FFL in the state and have the out of state resident work through them after payment?
What if the out of state resident is a family member?
does it matter if it's a pistol?
You as the Washington state resident will take the gun to any local FFL dealer who does transfers you will need to provide ID also you would then have to provide buyers name and phone # and the name and address of the FFL you are sending it to in OREGON. The buyer should be able to provide you all of this info then you will have to pay a fee to that FFL usually 25.00 and the cost to ship to Oregon should be buyers dime for that. The firearm is then shipped to FFL in Oregon where they will receive to their books and buyer then goes to that FFL and initiates the background check and pay the FFL fees on his end. Its pretty simple

Following up on this... I'm a Vancouver, WA resident interested in selling my S&W Bodyguard to an Oregon resident.

Do I need to *ship* it to the Oregon FFL? Or is it legal to make arrangements with the OR FFL to walk in and hand-deliver the pistol to them?

Thanks!

Following up on this... I'm a Vancouver, WA resident interested in selling my S&W Bodyguard to an Oregon resident.

Do I need to *ship* it to the Oregon FFL? Or is it legal to make arrangements with the OR FFL to walk in and hand-deliver the pistol to them?

Thanks!
Hey,

I assume you can hand deliver it, it's the same as a shipment.

Yes, if you are transferring to a different state resident it must be transferred to the transferee's home state FFL of choice or your choice. The transferee can then go to that FFL fill out paper work and do their BG check and receive firearm.

Thanks!
You can ship it, or walk in to an OR FFL for the transfer. If there is a time-lag delay with the BGC (goes through OR State Police) for handguns, it might mean two trips since you generally can't leave it with the FFL, depending on their policy. If you in Vancouver are transferring to a Portland area person, that's no big deal usually.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews