JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Lost Prairie Chronicles #12 A

Prologue:
By the age of 5 Tommy was convinced that his dad was hiding something very special in the closet on the top shelf. "Tommy, don't you ever go into that closet. Stay out! Something bad is in there".

At 5 Tommy was definitely afraid to go into that closet..... but Tommy didn't stay 5 years old. Tommy grew, and so did his curiosity. He had stood in front of that closet a number of times when his dad came into the room and sternly warned. "Tommy!! Don't you dare!!" And Tommy didn't dare..... at least not then. But that day did come.... at age 8.

Dad and mom were gone shopping. His Aunt was baby sitting and she was outside in the garden. Tommy was alone.
Dragging a kitchen chair to the closet, he opened it, pushed the chair inside, climbed up and stood on his tiptoes. Nothing there......... nothing but a shoebox. Could that be it?? He carefully removed the box from the shelf, climbed down from the chair, sat on the closet floor and opened the box.
*Wow! How cool! Its just like the cops use on TV!* He found that the cylinder rotated and made a clicking sound. The trigger was too hard to pull so he gave up trying, but..... the hammer! That thing at the back! He was able to pull it back. But now what? Looking at the muzzle of the pistol, he carefully squeezed the trigger. CLICK! *Wow! How cool* Click..... again.

A scream from his Aunt caused him to drop the revolver. "What are you doing!!?? Give me that!!" Tommy dropped the pistol in fear. What had he done? It couldn't be that bad.... besides it looked so cool!
Tommy's dad had made two serious mistakes. First and foremost..... Tommy knew nothing about the dangerous weapon he'd been holding. Secondly, and fortunately for Tommy....... it wasn't loaded.

__________________________________________________ _____________

She had just turned 5 years old, and I knew it was time. She knew there were firearms in the house because she'd seen them from the time she was aware of her surroundings, and they were always well out of reach, but her time had now come.

First came the simple explanation of how any of the firearms in the house could hurt her, or Mommy or Dad. Nodding her head she signified that she understood.......... but she didn't. Not at that age.

She followed me outside and thought the huge headset I put on her was pretty neat. I placed a milk jug full of water just 5 feet away. Donning my own ear protection, I put her both of her hands around the grips on the huge .44 pistol. Covering both of her hands with mine, I held the pistol as far away from her little body as I could and slowly squeezed the trigger.

Despite the headsets the noise and concussion were horrendous, at least for that little girl they were. The milkjug exploded in a vapor of water leaving Rosemary wide eyed and trembling.
Not a word was said at that moment. I unloaded the pistol, took off her headset and we went to where the jug had been. She looked up at me and I asked her if she understood how dangerous any of our firearms could be. She solemnly nodded her head and from that day until she received her own firearms she never went near any of them in the house.

The odd and surprising thing was when I heard her tell her visiting friends to "stay away from all the firearms in the house!!" And she kept a weather eye on any young visitors.
Fortunately all of her friends had parents who had provided an early education to their children as well.

Mystery provokes curiosity. Education removes mystery.

Among her peers and their families, we've never in our Family history heard of a child injured by a firearm in our area. Rosemary carrys a pistol with her wherever she goes, as does her Brother. We live a long way from town and in the past 10 years or so there are a lot of newcomers from the west coast cities, and with them comes their baggage, IE: crime.

Both of my children were required to read two books before owning their own pistols. "In the Gravest Extreme" , Masaad Ayoob and "No Second Place Winners", Bill Jordan. Books outling the seriousness of carrying and the legal implications involved.
Both of them were taught use and respect of both pistols and rifles. Both have their own pistols and rifles.
I'll go into their complete education and subsequent training another time, but rest assured that both of them were taught respect for firearms at a very early age.

Mystery provokes curiosity and potential disater. Education removes mystery and ingrains understanding. Think about this one with logic and practical application.

Frontier fiction is so nice to read as the imagination at times is so rich with the self-serving schemes of mice and men, kinda like Orwell's 1949 tome which seems now to reflect today's current environment.

You think that's fiction?? Only the Prologue is fiction.
None of the Lost Prairie chronicles are fiction. All of our kids went through the same introduction to firearms.
Feeel free to ignore me, sir.

How one is introduced to guns can play a lasting role in how one perceives guns for the rest of their lives.

I too , am in favor of the teaching of understanding , just what this item actually is and does , as opposed to the big mystery and "forbidden fruit" approach when it comes to teaching kids about firearms.

The intent of the OP , was to show the differences in two vastly different means of "keeping kids safe around guns."
( at least that was my take away )

We all have different writing styles , and to assume that one member's post is fiction , may not be the best approach to use with a new member ( or any member , for that matter. )
Andy

Thanks, Gents. Your take is exactly right, Andy. In retrospect maybe I should have explained that the Prologue was fiction.
Na, ja........... Diogenes sass in Seinem fass und sprach, "Ja ja.. dass komt von dass."

Great reading, enjoyed it! Have always been a fan of "Educate, don't alienate", which can be applied here without a doubt. Removes the curiosity as mentioned, and I believe, gives a healthy respect for firearms, especially more so if unsecured firearms are "discovered when playing at a friends house". No playing with them at all, EVER!

Both my kids were also shown the destructive power of hand guns this exact same way. No BS or fiction to it at all.
Kudos to you Pierre!!!

I was the 5 year old who had the curiosity about guns and all my Dad said was DO NOT GO THERE!!!
He was a special forces, green beret paratrooper, I respected and idolized him so my curiosity waited until he took the time to introduce me to the world of firearms.

Stashing things on a high shelf because they are "reserved for grownups" is not only ineffective, but serves as intriguing bait to curious youngsters. Neither smokers nor drinkers, my folks entertained regularly when I was a child, keeping half empty bottles of booze in the house as well as freebie 4-packs of cigarettes that airlines used to hand out - like candy.

The first time I stayed home alone for more than a few minutes (a rite of passage to adulthood in its own way), my father paused on the way out to pull down a bottle of some amber liquor, and indicated that a few inches of it would "kill" me. 15 minutes later, I was rolling face down in the back yard, clinging to the lawn (hoping not to fall off the planet), and pretty sure I was going to throw up my testicles.

Am I suggesting some constructive parallel between educating kids about booze, cigarettes and guns (ATF)? Hardly. What I do believe, though, is that "Das ist Verboten" is SELDOM an effective deterrent for any activity/behavior, especially when it is systematically connected by implication to "becoming an "adult."

Last Edited:
My cousins, brothers and I got our first exposure with a 1903 Springfield thuddy aught six, and boy were we stunned, all that noise, and the sharp recoil, and a cast iron plate shattered! We were in awe at the power, and learned very early that it was not to be messed with! That same day, we also experienced a fuddy five pistol ( also learned all about the 1911:D) and we had a very healthy respect and even fear of those arms! We never had reason to go looking for them, or to examine them, they were in a display case in the living room in all their glory, and we were always allowed to handle them and help wipe them down and clean when needed! I got to go hunting with Dad and Grand Dad my first time when I was 8 years old, I got to experience what these arms could do, and what they were really for. I saw my first kill and helped prosess it, instilling yet more awe and respect. I had helped put food on the families table and that was vwry honorable thing to do! Never once did any of us kids ever abuse the privilege of being around firearms, and never did we get in trouble for doing something we shouldnt have! We were taught to respect firearms, and that firearms were tools for both good and ill alike, and we were taught the difference!

Last Edited:
I had uncles that when I went to their house I was told don't touch the guns . that's it . point blank .but if I wanted to touch the guns all I had to do was ask .and they would unload and explain it .and take me and my brother out to shoot it .BUT IN THE HOUSE THE RULES WHERE DON'T TOUCH THE GUNS

Our 3 year old started talking about "pewing" people. I asked @CountryGent to order the Eddie the Eagle video. I was pleasantly surprised that both he and the 5 year old started singing the "Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the area, Tell an Adult" song after two viewings. He also stopped talking about "pewing" people. Now that we are finished with visiting with family, I am planning on reinforcing that instruction and testing them.

Indeed, those Potatoheads seem to be very hip to the Eddie Eagle cartoons. I found more on the web that they will likely enjoy. Though they are, frankly, kind of cheesy, whatever helps little people remain safe I most certainly support.

Parenthetically, the little one starting saying "only pew monsters" around that same time. Well, I can't argue with his astute analysis. :s0155:

5706C17C-DCC6-45DF-A7DE-511A3B2C8D1B.jpeg

Our 3 year old started talking about "pewing" people. I asked @CountryGent to order the Eddie the Eagle video. I was pleasantly surprised that both he and the 5 year old started singing the "Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the area, Tell an Adult" song after two viewings. He also stopped talking about "pewing" people. Now that we are finished with visiting with family, I am planning on reinforcing that instruction and testing them.
No matter what some people say EDDIE THE Eagle best gun safety program EVER

I have found that when talking about the guns in my display and how to use them safely ...
It is best to gauge the "level" of understanding and the desire to learn in my audience.

I am not saying that I "dumb it down" ...just that I try to tailor what I say and how I present it ,to my listener.
Andy

So my sister used to do fire safety classes at the school .black out the windows in a classroom . turn off the lights and have two fireman CRAWL INTO THE ROOM in full gear resperators and mask to teach the little kids not to be afraid of fireman in a fire .but you know how that goes . can't do it anymore .are you scarred of these people . probably not BUT YOUR NOT 4 OR 5 YEARS OLD. 1367.jpeg 1373.jpeg 1368.jpeg 1363.jpeg 1361.jpeg 1364.jpeg

My point here is that they have cut out training in the school that would really help kids gun safety fire safety crossing the street safety.
BUT THEY CAN TEACH THEM HOW TO GET A SEX CHANGE. THAT IT'S OK TO BE GAY . RAISE THE RAINBOW FLAG.but gun safety fire safety or just cross the street safety .
Nope no time for that

No matter what some people say EDDIE THE Eagle best gun safety program EVER

I saw a news article online a while back, about a study someone did about the effectiveness of gun safety training, and "Eddie Eagle" in particular.

The "study" purported to show that Eddie Eagle was ineffective, because kids who watched a video and colored a coloring book were just as likely to be unsafe and handle a fake gun when observed in a room alone. It was a thinly veiled hit piece on the NRA. It really irritates me to see opinion articles disguised as journalism.

It should be obvious and logical that a short video and coloring book are a starting point for gun safety. As anyone who teaches any subject knows, something like that is not terribly effective by itself, but it's a lot better than nothing and it's a great starting point and supplement to a serious discussion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top