JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's what I was taught about backing with a trailer by my BIL, who drives for a living. Put your right hand on the bottom of the wheel with your thumb extended. If you want the trailer to move the direction your thumb is pointing, turn the wheel in that direction, opposite for the opposite direction. One of the best pieces of advice on trailers I've ever been given. I use it every time I have to back up whether it's a travel trailer or a utility trailer - it really works.

My dad taught me that 50 years ago, it has never failed me & I have taught many people the same way.

Slicks, cooler and floor jack 20140718_204249.jpg

Man, I live for the Boat ramp circus! I have seen it all, Forgetting to hook the boat to the trailer then pulling out and dumping the boat on the ramp in front of every body! Taking 16 tries to back down the ramp, getting the truck stuck , or backing down too far and getting the trailer "Over the edge." Guys falling into the "Pump holes" from all the jets scouring out the bottom right next to the ramps! I learned as a kid how to back up a trailer! We have a WW-2 Willies Jeep and trailer we use for every thing, from hauling fire wood to deer camp, to what ever we need a small rig to do because we cannot get a big rig in to those spots! Plus a life time of fishing out of boats taught me what I needed to be really good at backing up n the dark on a slick/icy boat ramp! I was also taught the hand at the bottom of the wheel and that was probably the #1 trick for doing it right! #2 was taking your time and going as slow as needed and making small adjustments!

I see so many people hauling trailers wrong.

You have to have a motorcycle endorsement - IMO you should have to have one to drive a trailer of any size.

I often smack my head and stay well away from the idiots.

Your driver's license should only be good for anything you can back-up around a city block.

I never could figure out why a guy can jump out of his little Kia soul and get in the cab of his 40ft Winnebago and drive it with the same licenseo_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top