JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i have been looking to buy one here for a bit and i was wondering if some of you with experience using them wouldnt mind pointing me in the direction as to what ones to stay away from or the best quality for the price and such.
Thanks Jeremy

I went cheap and bought a $50 one from Walmart. I think its a Tasco. So far its been great. The only issue Ive had was false pics taken because of the wind. I cleared out the area of brush and branches from in front of my cam, and the problem went away. Its been outside during heavy rain, and is still going strong. Its been on the same batteries for about 3 months. Im sure there are much better ones, but this one suits my needs just fine.

so far with my experience; the bushnell trophy cams are the #2 rated and for the money the best out there. i just bought a second one this weekend.they take great photos and have lots of features.total ive spent $360 bucks for 2 cams and i also bought these 10 gauge steel lock box's.dont skimp on the lock box's or it will get stolen.my friend bought some box from walmart and someone pulled it right out of it.check out camlockbox.com. hers a great link for info:Trail Camera Reviews. hope this helps.

I have a Wildview and am pretty pleased with it. I tried a Wildgame Innovations from Dicks and it was terrible, I dont know if I bought a lemon or what but all the Pictures had a purplish hue to them.

Buy a cheap one the first time. That way when it gets stolen you can buy a better more expensive one and know to put it in a better hiding spot. I had mine stolen from a spot in the woods here in Vernonia. Really pisses me off when a person would think that their fellow outdoorsman would stick together and not steal from each other.

Buy a cheap one the first time. That way when it gets stolen you can buy a better more expensive one and know to put it in a better hiding spot. I had mine stolen from a spot in the woods here in Vernonia. Really pisses me off when a person would think that their fellow outdoorsman would stick together and not steal from each other.

unfortunately, it is like hanging a .357 on a tree and expecting no one to take it.it makes me angry too.

My Wildview takes good pics until the transition from dusk til dark or dark to morning light. For about 30 minutes or so at each of those times the camera can't decide what to do so washes out everything completely white with barely a shadow of anything that is completely unrecognizable.

I bought a couple Spypoint IR-5 cams after loggers stole my old school Trail Timer Photohunter 35mm cam. So far I like them. Good vids and excellent battery life, unlike my Wildgame IR-8 which kills 6v 645 type batteries in less than 3 weeks if I don't keep it charged up.

A question to those of you who do use trail cams.. How are your hunts now versus before you owned trail cams? Have you been successful in tagging an animal that you picked up on your trail cam earlier in the year?

I've been reading a lot lately and it seems more and more people are using the cameras. Makes me think I need to get a couple.

I would also think fellow outdoorsman wouldn't litter our natural spaces with 21st century pieces of plastic junk technology.

I get wanting to optimize your chances for harvesting meat... but is there a limit? Will there ever be? At what point does the sporting stop?

I gotta be honest, I don't hunt but I fully endorse and support hunters, but... I hate when I see USFS cameras in the cuts and have friends that relish in "stealing" and destroying them. Hunter cameras aren't too far off from that.

I'm sorry someone took your property, it's a real shyt feeling. On the other hand, I would never leave something in the woods or even public and expect it to be there later.

I would also think fellow outdoorsman wouldn't litter our natural spaces with 21st century pieces of plastic junk technology.

I get wanting to optimize your chances for harvesting meat... but is there a limit? Will there ever be? At what point does the sporting stop?

I gotta be honest, I don't hunt but I fully endorse and support hunters, but... I hate when I see USFS cameras in the cuts and have friends that relish in "stealing" and destroying them. Hunter cameras aren't too far off from that.

I'm sorry someone took your property, it's a real shyt feeling. On the other hand, I would never leave something in the woods or even public and expect it to be there later.

Alright, I wasn't going to comment on this, and I don't want to destroy the purpose of the OP, but I really have a problem with your comment.

Since when is a discreet, camoflouged box housing a camera that can (in many cases) shoot with IR considered plastic junk technology? Why do you think there are so many GPS apps with the ability to add trailcam locations? Even the guys that put them up can't find them because they're supposed to be hidden!

You have friends that relish in stealing and destroying other's property? I think that statement alone should be a wake-up call to you that you need to find a different circle of friends to associate with. There is no way I would ever associate with, tolerate, and especially consider a friend, anybody who finds joy in destroying other people's property. That is dispicable and completely unnacceptable behavior that should be immediately reported to local authorities so they can receive an appropriate punishement.

"I would never leave something in the woods or even public and expect it to be there later." Unfortunately, I have to agree with you here, but you list it as an accepted issue that you seem okay with. What ever happened to being decent and honest people? Why shouldn't we be pissed off when our property is stolen or destroyed? Why shouldn't we be upset that there are dirtbags out there, your friends included apparently, that relish in destruction of other's property?

Honestly, I'm tempted to forward your comments to the Linn and Marion County Sheriff's departments to assist them in prosecuting the vandals destroying government property...

Back on track, to answer the OP's question, I recommend going with a trailcam that has an lcd so you can review pics if you can afford it. I don't know about you, but I get antsy every time I swap cards and can't think of much else till I'm able to see what pictures are waiting for me.

Getting anything stolen or vandalized is a real bummer. I would never touch someone elses property, let alone state/federal equipment. Leaving trash in the woods is just wrong, but I don't see trail cams as litter. Being that it is fairly expesive equipment, the whole purpose is to return at a later date to retrieve it and I can't picture someone leaving one in the woods indefinitely (atleast not on purpose).

ODFW has a list regulations on what equipment they feel is deemed appropriate/fair to use while hunting; night vision, lit reticle scopes, ammo, etc. So they are the ones who draw the line on what is sporting.

Any one care to share what type of success they've had using trail cameras? Again, I've been thinking of buying some but I need some assurance that they are worth the expense.

Thanks!

I respect your opinions.

However, do you feel there is any place in our great United States where an individual should feel safe from surveillance?

I personally do. I don't need the privacy to do Satanic witch craft or dump bodies in the woods or even poach off-season which is ostensibly the reason USFS puts those up. I do however get a sick feeling in my stomach when I cannot even go to the forest without a camera watching me.

Forward what you want friend, I don't fear good old boys in small time counties. After all, Sincere is probably just a fictitious character I made up and therefore so too are his friends.

As far as my fictitious circle of friends and my tolerance of their behavior. I guess you would have "forwarded" knowledge of a little tea party in Boston to the proper authorities too, huh? Destruction of property and such.

Actually it was a gift from my wife. She got it for my young son and me to use to collect pictures of elk,deer, bear and whatever else may cross its path. It was never intended to use for hunting. As far as using it for hunting it's not as though the animals are going to remain in an area simply because their picture was taken. Kind of like saying someone shouldn't be able to do any preseason hunting scouting because then they'll know if animals are in certain areas

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top