JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
During the pandemic, I started reloading. I had started amassing some components and stuff prior, but actually started during covid. I had purchased 500 147 grain .308 projectiles on sale from RMR, but after shooting 220 Grain subs with a suppressor, that's the area I like to play. So, I found a pdf from Hodgon about subsonic loads. It lists 150 and 140 grain subsonic loads using 6 grains of Trail Boss for about 900 FPS each load. So, I finally got my hands on a bottle of Trail Boss and it says right on the package developed exclusively for lead projectiles.
Has anyone on the site used TB for 300BLK loads like I'm attempting? Has it cycled in an AR platform?

Hodgdon Subsonic Rifle Data -1.jpg Hodgdon Subsonic Rifle Data -2.jpg

During the pandemic, I started reloading. I had started amassing some components and stuff prior, but actually started during covid. I had purchased 500 147 grain .308 projectiles on sale from RMR, but after shooting 220 Grain subs with a suppressor, that's the area I like to play. So, I found a pdf from Hodgon about subsonic loads. It lists 150 and 140 grain subsonic loads using 6 grains of Trail Boss for about 900 FPS each load. So, I finally got my hands on a bottle of Trail Boss and it says right on the package developed exclusively for lead projectiles.
Has anyone on the site used TB for 300BLK loads like I'm attempting? Has it cycled in an AR platform?

View attachment 1393111 View attachment 1393112
Used. Not even kinda sort of close to cycling.

Same here. For manually cycled arms only.
Loaded some 45 autos with trailboss for a convertible 45 Blackhawk. You just can't get enough powder into that short case. They were weak in the Blackhawk as compared to the 45 colt cylinder.
Just for fun, I saved 7 rounds and tried them in a 1911. They fired, but you had to rack the slide for each shot.
As far as your question on using trailboss on non-lead bullets:
Yes, it works fine. I've used it on plated bullets on 357, 44 mag and 45 colt. Never tried jacketed bullets because of the expense. I use trailboss for plinking and playing ammunition.

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Trail Boss and it says right on the package developed exclusively for lead projectiles.
So, in case you hadn't figured it out by the name of the powder, Trail Boss was developed specifically for Cowboy Action shooting. These are all manually cycled firearms so a low recoil powder works great. It isn't needed to operate any action.

For subs in a 300Blk, try LIL' GUN. Much more better.

Last Edited:
For me......
My rule......
1682883127460.png

OK, Ok, ok..........as I recall it.........Trail Boss was intended/created for the Cowboy crowd. The modern CB/SASS folks wanted to fill their cases so that there was less air in the cases. Think about.....how much volume does 2.8 grs of BE take up in a .38 Special case with lead bullets (125-158 grains). So YEAH, the "problem" of a possible detonation with that little bit of powder in such a large case. Maybe/Perhaps, a "fluffier powder" might be better?

Buy this new powder?
It's called Trail Boss.

BTW.....if you want to "experiment" it's your call.
LOL....I've been known to use what's normally called SG powder to load pistol ammo.

Rrrright.....whatever.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

View attachment 1393111 View attachment 1393112
Never used Trail Boss but have used a lot of AA1680 and CFE Black with several different bullets and have had great success with 1680 and 240gn cast using a NOE mold and powder coating the bullets. Accurate and great reliability. All I load now for 300bo. Working on 38special 158gn subs using CSB5 powder for my Marlin lever gun I have shortened and set up for fun.

4227, CFE BLK are the best bets. Fast pistol powders ie titegroup are spooky with regards to pressure spikes when used in small quantities. TB is generally always safe when not compressed but won't give the power you're looking for in cycling an AR. BP is a filthy mess and best reserved for guns you aren't shooting a lot. I own two Ruger Old Armies and neither one will keep cycling without a liberal spritz of moosemilk on the spindle every other cylinder load. The 1858 is even worse in this regard.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews