JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get it! Wouldn't it be easier and a lot less hassle to just not drive faster than the speed limit????

Sheldon
Yes, but if I'm going to be honest there is temptation to speed. Even in a small pickup.

Course, speeding in a small pickup means you're actually going the speed limit. :D:rolleyes:

A decade from now there won't be either traffic tickets or (traffic) lawyers. Kid's won't even know how to drive. Grandfather'ed vehicles will probably be required to have a transponder to be licenced and play nice on the road cause all the new cars will come with an integral cop.

A decade from now there won't be either traffic tickets or (traffic) lawyers. Kid's won't even know how to drive. Grandfather'ed vehicles will probably be required to have a transponder to be licenced and play nice on the road cause all the new cars will come with an integral cop.

Is this where i link to Red Barchetta?

I don't get it! Wouldn't it be easier and a lot less hassle to just not drive faster than the speed limit????

Sheldon

Yes, there are many things in life that people do that make life more difficult and less efficient. I might have even done a few of those things myself.

Wow, for $1400 in lawyer fee's he could get a very nice track day.

He could rent a lotus for a track day school for $700 and go as fast as he wants.
Track and Race Car Rental – ProFormance Racing School
Or get him 20 laps in a NASCAR Nationwide Series car at South Sound Speedway 8/11-8/12 for $149. Get two 20 lap packages at that price. And get him a $60 ride along with a pro driver. Going into a turn on a 3/8 mile paved track at 100 mph he'll be positive he's going to die. The pro drivers love scaring newbies. Then when he hits the track with 5 other cars on his own and gets passed by everybody he'll discover that he's not Sammy Swindell or Dale Jr.

Holiday Deal – Save 70% OFF Driving Experiences! All Tracks & Dates in 2018! 76.jpg

I got a little information today. The lawyer sent some paperwork over. Turns out they dropped the speeding part in exchange for a $135 non moving violation fine for for get this...not having signed his registration papers.

The Marines will fix this problem, one way or another.

Maybe. But with his attitude sounding like the laws and rules don't mean jack sh*t to me, he most likely will wuss out or wash out the first time the DI starts laying rules out and yelling at him. A lack of personal responsibility going into the Marine Corps and their expectations of his behavior are going to come into a big conflict. Back in the day guys like that with brand new Camaros found a key ran down the side of them and flat tires.

Bubblegum. I was 24 times worse than that kid and made sergeant in the Army in 3 years and had a blast. Soldier of the quarter at battalion 3 times. Once at Brigade. Trust me, Boot Camp will be a welcome alternative to me.

Bubblegum. I was 24 times worse than that kid and made sergeant in the Army in 3 years and had a blast. Soldier of the quarter at battalion 3 times. Once at Brigade. Trust me, Boot Camp will be a welcome alternative to me.
The really sobering thing that you immediately discover is that in boot camp, things can ALWAYS get worse.

I am a lawyer that occasionally handles traffic tickets. Every court in every state has their own system for handling tickets as negotiations over tickets is handled by a low-level assistant district attorney on terms normally set by the elected DA. My GUESS, not knowing the state or locality is that he's paying about half that money to the lawyer and the other half to the state for "improper equipment" or something similar that doesn't count a a moving violation. Most states I've dealt with will only give so many of those reductions, so he may be pushing the envelope for losing his license.

You should be asking him what he's doing as it may affect you.

My 18 year old son has received 4 traffic citations in the last year. The most recent was for 25 miles over the posted speed limit. Before that he had a wreckless driving and a couple of 10 mph over which were probably much higher but the cop wrote it as 10. Every time he has received a ticket he hires a lawyer for $350 and gets off Scott Free. He did get a radar detector and seems to be backing off on the speeding or at least doing a better job of looking around for cops before he nails it but how on earth are these lawyers getting the charges dismissed? He hasnt been in to court just the lawyers. I don't get it.

They have these "ticket centers" that will fight the citation for you - my experience with them is this: they play the continuance game and get two or more continuances before setting it for a trial. By the time the case is ready to be adjudicated, the cop is a no-show and the case is dismissed automatically.

I am a lawyer that occasionally handles traffic tickets. Every court in every state has their own system for handling tickets as negotiations over tickets is handled by a low-level assistant district attorney on terms normally set by the elected DA. My GUESS, not knowing the state or locality is that he's paying about half that money to the lawyer and the other half to the state for "improper equipment" or something similar that doesn't count a a moving violation. Most states I've dealt with will only give so many of those reductions, so he may be pushing the envelope for losing his license.

You should be asking him what he's doing as it may affect you.

The most recent one probably will be his last for a while i'd think. Costing him too much and no joy in it. Everyone learns one way or another. That and I got him a Radar detector for Christmas to help out a bit . He's 18 and just made front end supervisor at the grocery store he works at ( still in High School ) and can't really afford to be license-less.

Washington is a little weird for actually losing a license. No real points system in place like many states have. Get 4 or more moving violations in a year , which I have done 20 years ago, and they send you to a "class" . Takes 5 minutes. You gather up with all the other guys ( no women there ) and someone comes in and tells you if you get another ticket in the next year you will be placed on probation. Another ticket in the year after that you will lose your license for 6 months. Now go home.

Maybe stop supporting his habit with the radar detectors and Camaros. I agree with the taking him to a speedway or see if he wants to try Pro-Am racing but you should push him to keep it off the street. If he plays it alittle too fast one day with that history and kills someone he may be only racing in and out of a jail shower. And don't think the family won't come after him and you and use all those breaks he's gotten from the system as evidence to clean you out.

Maybe stop supporting his habit with the radar detectors and Camaros.t.

Yeah, your'e talking to the wrong guy. Its like telling an Irishman to stop drinking. Some families have their traditions . Ours is hot rodding. You wouldn't understand but please by all means talk more bubblegum.

One thing I noticed in my area after lots of speeding (& tickets), cops got to know my car and they went out of their way to mess with me. One solution is to get a different vehicle, unfortunately that is more costly than a radar detector or radar jammer. Good luck with the kid & his hotrod lincoln

I used to have a bright yellow 70 cougar with a 500 HP 428. It was my daily driver. After the cop in Port Orchard pulled me over for being alive once ( I'd fire it up at 5 AM to go to work and it would piss the neighbors off and they'd have one waiting at the exit to my neighborhood so the cop could pull me over for SOMETHING ) and drew on me because I went 1/4 mile without pulling over when he turned his lights on I got rid of it too. Then there was the '69 Camaro that was my first car. That thing drew cops from counties away. Had to get rid of it .

The 800 HP 70 Camaro in the Garage I'm building for my youngest son although he'll probably get a 400 HP 350. I'll put the 540 in a '64 Riviera.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews