JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would guess that the cops are not showing up for trial and the judge is dismissing it. To show would take 1/2 a day plus depending on the time the cop could be working 3rd shift and just to tired to show. Just a guess.

You may have to make the tough decision and cut him loose from your insurance. If for some reason his lawyer can't get him out of the next infraction then your rates will likely go up. At the very least, have him go and get a few quotes so he can see what costs for an 18yo on his own is like. It's nice of you to keep him on your policy, most good parents would do that for their kids. But it seems that he doesn't realize how good he currently has it.

I still wonder how the lawyers are getting the charges dismissed. Every time I went in at that age they threw the book at me and there were a lot of those times.

I drove all over Yakima, Goldendale, and the Dalles like an azz when I was his age. Six tickets in less than six months. It was called being young and stupid.

Got it out of my system, and no tickets in almost 30 years.
But why are you asking us how his lawyer dose it? He's your kid. o_O

Also please get me that Lawyers name. I may use him. :D

You may have to make the tough decision and cut him loose from your insurance. If for some reason his lawyer can't get him out of the next infraction then your rates will likely go up. At the very least, have him go and get a few quotes so he can see what costs for an 18yo on his own is like. It's nice of you to keep him on your policy, most good parents would do that for their kids. But it seems that he doesn't realize how good he currently has it.

Hes not on my policy. Its just that USAA allows him to get a reduced rate because of my service. USAA is like that. You cannot beat their rates. With a good radar detector and a lightened wallet i think he will be more cautious about driving like a jackass.

But why are you asking us how his lawyer dose it? He's your kid. o_O
:D
Also please get me that Lawyers name. I may use him.

I dont make him get a lawyer. He came up with that on his own and he gets no report from the lawyer about how he got off. The attorneys name is Joyce Heritage.

I still wonder how the lawyers are getting the charges dismissed. Every time I went in at that age they threw the book at me and there were a lot of those times.

I am wondering too. I know some who have used lawyers to keep their license after things like DUI. From what I heard they paid out BIG time to do it. I had never heard of it being so cheap to get out of speeding. Have not had a ticket in many decades now, I have no idea what they cost. I think I keep hearing though that even fairly minor ones cost almost what he is paying to get off. With what they do to insurance rates it sounds like a $350 lawyers would be worth it if it's that damn easy. LEO's on here, any idea how this works???

Looking back on it theres a good half dozen times a lawyer would have saved me a lot of money. Only time I ever bothered going to court because I knew I had been pulled over outside of the speed zone and had pics etc to back it up. The cop showed up and lied his bubblegum off. The judge just gave me that "what are you going to do now, smart bubblegum" look and reduced the fine by 10%. I always thought getting a lawyer for traffic tickets was a good way to enrich lawyers and get nothing in return. I was wrong.

Looking back on it theres a good half dozen times a lawyer would have saved me a lot of money. Only time I ever bothered going to court because I knew I had been pulled over outside of the speed zone and had pics etc to back it up. The cop showed up and lied his bubblegum off. The judge just gave me that "what are you going to do now, smart bubblegum" look and reduced the fine by 10%. I always thought getting a lawyer for traffic tickets was a good way to enrich
lawyers and get nothing in return. I was wrong.

Don't forget, judges are lawyers too. They feed their own.

If he wants to spend $1,400 (which, at $9.60 per hour after taxes is over 18 full days of work) that's his business. He's an adult, after all.

I've got better things to do with my money.

P

He drives like I did ( and my dad and his dad etc ) at 16-18. The expenses are catching up to him so I'm sure its slowing him down or at least he's getting better at avoiding tickets. The most recent one was from 3 months ago.

I just wonder what legal maneuvers the attorneys do to get cut and dry tickets dismissed?
the attorneys must be investing in some comfortable knee pads!

the luckiest i ever got was 92 in a 25 and the cop forgot to turn in the ticket. i should have lost my license for that.

im guessing he doesnt camp in the left lane at 65?:D:D

Your boy needs some adult counseling before he kills him self or worse. Kick his a** if it happens again. The life you save might be an totally innocent mom or dad or worse kid of same. 18 is legal to adult spank

Agree 100%. But is it easier to enable and say boys will be boys. Just pay some money and you don't have to be responsible for your actions. My own personal opinion is that a Camaro and his behavior is a bad combination. At best, he keeps that up and may find that DEP to the Corps will be in jeopardy. He is not going to have any need for that car for quite some time then.

Hopefully he will not become one of those numerous dead bodies I removed from mangled vehicles with half the bones in their body broke, blood running out of their noses and limbs sticking out at unbelievable angles as we loaded them into body bags. Even more hopefully he does not cause injury to some innocent person who's only crime is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If your name is on his car it could be your azz too.

So it seems that people would like to criticize you or your son for his actions rather than focus on your question.
To those that guessed cronyism or exchange of sexual favors, while I don't doubt that occurs, it's not quite so nefarious in this case (it is a traffic citation after all).
What I have heard/read in the past from a local automotive forum was that the lawyer goes after certification credentials. IE, is the cop current on his certification for that particular radar detector, is the calibration certificate current for the detector, etc. They usually find a lapse somewhere...

"It's not what ya know, it's who ya blow..." :p

Maybe Leadfoot needs an illustration of all the ways he could better use that money, if only he would stick to the bloody speed limit... oh, the things I could do with $1400 bucks... that's like road-trip-to-go-visit-the-girlfriend money.

In your original post, you say, ''i don't get it'' maybe frustrated over your sons actions? We were all young once, most of us learned from our experiences. I hate to say it, but, if this keeps up, it might have a bad ending. He's going into the Marines, don't bet on that, and then, if he does make it, he comes home, be prepared, i'll let you fill in the blanks.At this point, he's not learning from his mistakes.

Does he do this for attention? This continued cycle is disturbing to say the least. These kinds of actions usually turn out some really bad repercussions. He's building a very bad driving record, even if he does beat the tickets. I'm glad you live in yakima, also, if he keeps this up, he needs his license jerked for a long time. You asked, ''we'' responded. Hope these responses give you some idea's.

I have done the same thing (once) and insisted on going to court. In my case at least it was a procedural thing the cop did wrong and according to the lawyer about 99% of the time they are able to find something the officer did not do correctly which results in it being dismissed before it ever is heard.

Only if they like the lawyer. Being buddy buddy with other lawyers and judges go a long way.

The justice system is like a business. Business is business.

This seems to be being treated more like the cost of business for driving fast. Personally I'd rather see the money go into public coffers rather than the pocket of a lawyer. Maybe just post bond first then go see if the cops want to race.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews