JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 18 year old son has received 4 traffic citations in the last year. The most recent was for 25 miles over the posted speed limit. Before that he had a wreckless driving and a couple of 10 mph over which were probably much higher but the cop wrote it as 10. Every time he has received a ticket he hires a lawyer for $350 and gets off Scott Free. He did get a radar detector and seems to be backing off on the speeding or at least doing a better job of looking around for cops before he nails it but how on earth are these lawyers getting the charges dismissed? He hasnt been in to court just the lawyers. I don't get it.

Sound to me we're gaining another danger on the road. The time may come when something terrible happens. Hope he doesn't get off scott free the time someone gets hurt, or worse.

He drives like I did ( and my dad and his dad etc ) at 16-18. The expenses are catching up to him so I'm sure its slowing him down or at least he's getting better at avoiding tickets. The most recent one was from 3 months ago.

I just wonder what legal maneuvers the attorneys do to get cut and dry tickets dismissed?

Last Edited:
Your boy needs some adult counseling before he kills him self or worse. Kick his a** if it happens again. The life you save might be an totally innocent mom or dad or worse kid of same. 18 is legal to adult spank

Dunno.

Was pulled over by a Mass state trooper I passed (whicked smaht!) one night after a shift. I was probably doing near on 90.

I was wrong and I knew it.

The trooper asked me how much I thought the ticket would cost, I told him probably my semester tuition. Likely would have been.

He wrote it up as a warning, and wrote the warning incorrectly as doing 55 in a 65.

Had he locked me up I would have dealt with it.

Had he wrote it just under driving to endanger/wreckless, I would have paid it & the insurance points.

...because I knew I was in the wrong.

I still wonder how the lawyers are getting the charges dismissed. Every time I went in at that age they threw the book at me and there were a lot of those times.

I still wonder how the lawyers are getting the charges dismissed. Every time I went in at that age they threw the book at me and there were a lot of those times.

Because the lawyers, judges and cops all have drinks together every night and the lawyer says, "I'll buy this round (or rounds depending in the severity) if you dismiss this or that tomorrow".

Is he paying lawyer fees comparable to the fines? Learning not to do that stuff should be expensive.
Get away with it once, ok. Twice, yeah. Three, umm hey kid. Four, you need to go to traffic school.

Perhaps you still can salvage things? Will be expensive now but might be cheap in the long term. Have you consider paying some major bucks and sending your son to a real deal real world high speed automotive driving school? Major league? No. But definitely not minor league either.

NASCAR type driver certification? Circle track licensing? If money is tight consider just high speed shifter cart go cart driver training. It might be very sobering to your out of control son to understand that he is not the best driver in the world and that driving laws do not pertain to him.

Particularly when some 12 year old 80 pound girl in the same driving class blows off your sons doors on some race track. Your son may be good but the kid girl will be better ... if both of you get the same professional driver training. The problem may be that your son does not want to attend.

One of my jobs when I drove a 42,000 pound type 1 fire engine was to train all the new very young very hip men into understanding the responsibility of driving high powered high speed fire apparatus. They thought they were just driving another big car. Wrong. Some took to it very well.

Some did not think we needed to teach them anything. They tended not to last through the Fire Academy. So many young people today just do not understand the very fine edge between driving fast and safely with just driving very fast and NOT safely. You son can still be salvaged? Dunno.

I wouldnt say he drives pporly. He just needs to be more Cognizant of where the police are. Yakima has more cops per capita than any place ive ever been.

I understand now. He should be careful if there are likely to be cops around . . . Everywhere else, not so much. Maybe you should get him some spandex and make him ride a bike.

Sheldon

He piggy backs on my USAA . He has his own policy though . I think its around $200 a month which seems cheap to me for an 18 YO male driving a sun yellow Camaro. Had any of those tickets gone through it would have been MUCH higher if not automatic cancellation. He's heading off to the Marines later this year so he has to be doubly careful about racking up too many tickets plus he'll be working for the company i work for doing field service work before he goes in and 2 tickets disqualifies him so its a triple threat. I think the financial pressure of the legal costs is hitting him and he's taking it easy. Still in high school but he works 30-40 hours a week at $12 an hour which is probably more than I ever made before I was 24.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top