Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Trade Value

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Blackcobra, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

This is something I have been curious about for a while. Why is it sometimes when listing an item the seller will list the cash price as $xxx.xx and the trade value @ $xxx.xx+$100?

I've never understood the concept - if all traders thought that way about their items, wouldn't the extra $100 just net out to zero on trades? :p

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Yup, your trade price "plus 100 bucks" equals my trade price "plus 100 bucks"............:confused:

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well,if I want cash,then your trade needs to be set at wholesale,cause I want cash. Since I want cash,I will need to sell your gun now.
    Maybe it won't sell? Maybe the market is lower than you think?
    So the extra cash is for the next guy's negotiations .Plus my trouble having to sell your gun for the CASH I wanted in the first place

coyotecaller likes this.
  4. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I scroll right on past those kinda deals! I want $200 cash or $250 trade value....Um nope

Another thing....this

I want 200$

Yah it bugs me

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's easier to think of it this way.
    I give you $200.00 in cash, and you then give me $250.00 in cash.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Stomper likes this.
  6. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I see this all the time. I laugh at them and scroll past. No way in hell I'm going to trade you something of more value for something of less value. It's dumb. And for the people that say "well now I have to sell this so I deserve more in return" no you don't deserve more. If you're so stuck
    up about selling another gun don't trade it in the first place.

ConcreteJungle and Velzey like this.
  7. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I just assume that there is a difference because the seller/trader doesn't know what his firearm is really worth or has so little confidence in his ability to negotiate a deal they have to ask for more. Either way I figure it could work out better for me if I'm interested.

ConcreteJungle likes this.
  8. mjbskwim

And that just may be the desired effect.Get rid of the ones who have trades when the guy wants CASH

9. Blackcobra

I see your point on that - never really looked at it from that perspective.

mjbskwim likes this.
  10. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If the person just wants cash then they shouldn't put it up for trade as well.

ConcreteJungle likes this.
  11. mjbskwim

I'm terrible with trades.Can't resist sometimes,I mean it's another gun.Rather I want it or not
    See ,you have to trick yourself sometimes

12. Blackcobra

I really don't like to sell guns; I would much rather buy or trade!

13. mjbskwim

My friend at the store back home used to ask how I sold and traded like I do.He said he buys exactly what he wants,never something he imagines selling.
    For me it's just a game.I get new toys for that game.Some don't work right for how I play but I try them anyway.Then I sell and get another. I never care either way if the gun stays with me or not.And i do have a friend who would remind me that a certain gun wouldn't sell next month when I wanted something else
    I do try to keep gun money on guns or related items.
    I hate selling cause I have to buy something non gun related
    I usually state it 'I will have to take trades at wholesale as I will be selling your gun'.
    I guess it's so someone else gets a gun they want,too

Oh,and I would ask my friend how he could just buy stuff to stick under the bed and not ever shoot them.

14. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't understand that one either. Guns are tools. None of the guns I buy are as specialized as some of the tools in my rollaway. My wife doesn't understand - I may use that wrench once every three years, but when I need it, it's worth every penny I paid. I've never sold a tool, but I've loaned them out and forgotten to whom. :mad:
    Guns? I buy them to shoot and shoot some more. Don't ever intend on selling, but it has come to that a few times.

15. Blackcobra

I'm a hoarder when it comes to guns. I have some guns that I carry, some for home defense, and some that I just like to collect, and occasionally take out of the safe and fondle:

upload_2015-7-1_11-50-28.png

To me, it is like having a savings account of sorts. I think it is very unlikely that they [the collectors] will ever go down in value. Some will likely go up quite a bit. So, although I wouldn't call it an investment, I would call it a zero-loss hobby of sorts.

P7id10T and bluesurf like this.
  16. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Eugene Well-Known Member

I'm pretty picky when it comes to my possessions so I only buy what I really want and will do tons of research on something i'm interested in but I make sure I have a use for it. Every gun gets used, some more than others. I carry all of my handguns and won't keep something that doesn't work well as a carry pistol. For example, my XD45 was a little too big of a carry pistol so I'm downsizing for the time being until I can talk the wife into letting me have a PTR91. :D