JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is something I have been curious about for a while. Why is it sometimes when listing an item the seller will list the cash price as $xxx.xx and the trade value @ $xxx.xx+$100?

I've never understood the concept - if all traders thought that way about their items, wouldn't the extra $100 just net out to zero on trades? :p

Well,if I want cash,then your trade needs to be set at wholesale,cause I want cash. Since I want cash,I will need to sell your gun now.
Maybe it won't sell? Maybe the market is lower than you think?
So the extra cash is for the next guy's negotiations .Plus my trouble having to sell your gun for the CASH I wanted in the first place

I see this all the time. I laugh at them and scroll past. No way in hell I'm going to trade you something of more value for something of less value. It's dumb. And for the people that say "well now I have to sell this so I deserve more in return" no you don't deserve more. If you're so stuck
up about selling another gun don't trade it in the first place.

I just assume that there is a difference because the seller/trader doesn't know what his firearm is really worth or has so little confidence in his ability to negotiate a deal they have to ask for more. Either way I figure it could work out better for me if I'm interested.

My friend at the store back home used to ask how I sold and traded like I do.He said he buys exactly what he wants,never something he imagines selling.
For me it's just a game.I get new toys for that game.Some don't work right for how I play but I try them anyway.Then I sell and get another. I never care either way if the gun stays with me or not.And i do have a friend who would remind me that a certain gun wouldn't sell next month when I wanted something else
I do try to keep gun money on guns or related items.
I hate selling cause I have to buy something non gun related
I usually state it 'I will have to take trades at wholesale as I will be selling your gun'.
I guess it's so someone else gets a gun they want,too

Oh,and I would ask my friend how he could just buy stuff to stick under the bed and not ever shoot them.

Oh,and I would ask my friend how he could just buy stuff to stick under the bed and not ever shoot them.

I don't understand that one either. Guns are tools. None of the guns I buy are as specialized as some of the tools in my rollaway. My wife doesn't understand - I may use that wrench once every three years, but when I need it, it's worth every penny I paid. I've never sold a tool, but I've loaned them out and forgotten to whom. :mad:
Guns? I buy them to shoot and shoot some more. Don't ever intend on selling, but it has come to that a few times.

I don't understand that one either. Guns are tools. None of the guns I buy are as specialized as some of the tools in my rollaway. My wife doesn't understand - I may use that wrench once every three years, but when I need it, it's worth every penny I paid. I've never sold a tool, but I've loaned them out and forgotten to whom. :mad:
Guns? I buy them to shoot and shoot some more. Don't ever intend on selling, but it has come to that a few times.

I'm a hoarder when it comes to guns. I have some guns that I carry, some for home defense, and some that I just like to collect, and occasionally take out of the safe and fondle:

upload_2015-7-1_11-50-28.png

To me, it is like having a savings account of sorts. I think it is very unlikely that they [the collectors] will ever go down in value. Some will likely go up quite a bit. So, although I wouldn't call it an investment, I would call it a zero-loss hobby of sorts.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to my possessions so I only buy what I really want and will do tons of research on something i'm interested in but I make sure I have a use for it. Every gun gets used, some more than others. I carry all of my handguns and won't keep something that doesn't work well as a carry pistol. For example, my XD45 was a little too big of a carry pistol so I'm downsizing for the time being until I can talk the wife into letting me have a PTR91. :D

I see ads frequently that will have a cash value of x or a trade value of x+y. What is the reason for this? Is it that people really want cash, but will take a trade as long as they get the better end of the deal? Something else?

The answer you are seeking is multi-faceted.
Everyone has the right to expect to get what they want from what they're trying to sell. I don't blame them one bit. It's what the market will bear and what you're willing to pay to add something to your collection.
That being said, it seems that bargains are hard to come by these days. Everything is collectible, rare and one of a kind thanks to the internet. While I love the guns shows, you will be lucky to find a bargain there these days. What I love even more is when people take old guns, stuff them with new parts and try to represent them as orginal in terms of value. That's all ill say about that.
Anyway, back to your original question... yes, everyone wants to get the better end of the deal.

If I have something up for trade and someone offers me something I'd like. I think it's fair to go find the cheapest prices on the net to figure out the valuation. Then add cash or other items to even it up. If they are offering me something I'm only passingly interested in, then I absolutely want the deal to favor me.

I'm finding trade deals are very hit and miss. Mostly miss for me. But I have had a few trade deals so far that IMO worked well for both of us. It all depends on how mutual the want/need equation is for both parties.

It's easier to just sell the item, but then you are leaving cash on the table in most instances. So for me when I have what seems like a somewhat high cash price on an item it is because I don't really want to see it go. But I could stand to see it replaced.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews