JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cash and trade value for me at least can mean two different things...
Many times what I want in trade is not worth what my offered item is "worth"...but I'll get more use out of the item I want versus the item I have...So I it view as a "even" trade.

Case in point... I have a rifle wanted ad ...I want to trade my Savage 330 over and under for a JM Marlin 336 in .30-30
Right now those Mariln's are between $350-$500 in my area...My Savage is worth around $500-$600...but if someone offered me a Marlin that was worth less than my Savage dollar wise...but in nice shape...I'd probably trade...as I have more use for the Marlin....if any of that ramble makes sense...:D

Also its good to remember that there is a world of difference in :
What the Blue Book says a gun is worth...
What the big internet sellers are selling the gun for...
And what the gun will sell for in your area...
Andy

Cash and trade value for me at least can mean two different things...
Many times what I want in trade is not worth what my offered item is "worth"...but I'll get more use out of the item I want versus the item I have...So I view as a "even" trade.

Case in point I have a rifle wanted ad ...I want to trade my Savage 330 over and under for a JM Marlin 336 in .30-30 right now those Mariln's are between $350-$500 in my area...My Savage is worth around $500-$600...but if someone offered me a Marlin that was worth less than my Savage dollar wise...but in nice shape...I'd probably trade...as I have more use for the Marlin....if any of that ramble makes sense...:D

As its good to remember that there is a world of difference in
What the Blue Book says a gun is worth...
What the big internet sellers are selling the gun for...
And what the gun will sell for in your area...
Andy

Perfect response. I had deleted what I was trying to reply to the OP with about 3 times and then read your answer and stopped. Ive been more happy with firearm trades than from selling. Ive traded a gen 3 glock 21 I was selling for $400 for an OPAP AK right around election time last year. If I had sold it theres no chance I would have been able to buy that OPAP for $400. No way.

if any of that ramble makes sense...:D
It makes PERFECT sense because you are basing your trade on the 'intrinsic value' of the Marlin to YOU as opposed to trying to make up the difference with cash out of the Savage. As I have said before FAR too many people do not understand the finer points of 'horse trading' and the # 1 rule is you are never going to necessarily come out 'ahead' and if money is the only thing you want out of a deal then you had better list as sell only and plan to wait a while and be willing to accept a loss.

I'm mainly talking about transactions where the trade value is higher than the sell price. I'm not saying it's wrong to do, and I've even done it myself, and I don't really know why. My explanation in the original post was all I could think of. And I see it with stuff other than guns. It just struck me as odd when I thought on it some more.

It means that folks typically value something they want to trade at new retail plus ten percent and the person is saying they will trade, but only if you are willing to accept an inflated price on both ends.

Well, Cash is King and I think for alot of people that are willing to trade, they want to trade for something specific rather then a random glock or XD. So, I think alot will say, ok, i'll trade ya.. but then they are going to need to sell whatever it is they traded for. Lots of hassle.
when ever I sell something here I always put cash and if I am willing to trade, I put what I am looking for.

There are a lot of folks here that have over 500 posts in the classified section alone.

Many of which I've even had the pleasure to do business with. You'll guess who they are, some screen names pop up on the classifieds more than others.

They are what I like to call. Unlicensed dealers. In other words they have flipped so many guns I lose track of what they actually own, and they likely have too.

You would be surprised how these guys work. Just because they posted that their trade value is higher, doesn't mean some new buck coming into the website won't jump. They know somewhere someone is willing to wheel and deal, so they just wait. They aren't concerned about those that scroll past the ad.

Honestly I think these guys enjoy the chase more than the guns they buy and sell.

This is how I understand it.
For example, I bought a gun at $300 and decide to sell it for $200. If I want to trade, of course I want to trade with something of equal value.
If someone bought a gun at $200 and want to trade for my $200 gun, I would likely to say no unless I really want to get rid of my gun. I have to put trade value at $300 for a fair trade. Hope this helps.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top